Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
running
running will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Kindle with Mac Wi-Fi sharing

I got trouble with getting Wi-Fi sharing (or, as Apple calls it, "Internet Sharing via AirPort") on my Mac Mini working with Kindle (while it works on iPhone).

The resolution was simple, but I thought I will let you know.

First, you have to actually keep the recommended lengths of the password (for 40-bit WEP 5 characters, for 128-bit WEP 13 characters)

then, you have to manually enter the IP addresses to Kindle by selecting "static" in the Kindle Wi-Fi menu, since the DHCP doesn't seem to work. I did it by connecting iPhone to the network and then rewriting the adresses, but if you don't have iPhone (or anything similar), it worked with this data:

IP address: 10.0.2.3
subnet : 255.255.255.0
router: 10.0.2.1
DNS: 10.0.2.1

...and it should work.
running is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Hi,

I'm trying to get this to work, without success =(

Are the router/DNS entries your IP address?
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
running
running will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Hello,

I am not on my mac now, so I won't help you that much, but no, these are the default addresses.

Sorry to hear it doesn't work for you
running is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There's apparently a bug of long standing with OS X's DHCP service that causes this. Hence the static address workaround (I think I tried this and it worked - but generally I connect to a wifi router rather than OS X Internet Sharing).

Unfortunately it seems all of Apple's developers are working on iOS now so we may never see a fix for the DHCP issue.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
codegen
codegen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Actually the mac sets up a WAP node. Windows internet sharing uses ad-hoc. The problem is that the kindle aways uses 0 in the "number of seconds since boot" field of the dhcp request packet, and the mac has a filter of 4. So it ignores the DHCP request from the kindle (and the xbox, and the Nintendo). If you change the filter to 0, then the mac happily hands out the addresses. How to do it:

1. start internet sharing
2. cp /etc/bootpd.plist . ## don't forget the "." that means the current directory!!
3. stop internet sharing
4. open bootpd.plist
5. change reply_threshold_seconds to 0
6. sudo cp bootpd.plist /etc
7. start internet sharing

Normally the bootpd.plist is created and destroyed as you start up and stop internet sharing. If the file already exists, it uses the values in it. This can cause problems if, for example you move your laptop to a network that uses the same network values as the plist. So if you do this at work with an ethernet address of a.b.c.x, the bootpd.plist will have addresses of 10.0.2.x. If you go home and have a home router that also uses 10.0.2.x, then the mac will get confused. However, if your home network uses 192.168.0.x, then you will still be ok.
codegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert