Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
best3175
best3175 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Threepress Valid ePub won't load on Lulu

I validated my ePub at http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/ but Lulu will not accept it. Anyone have an idea what might be wrong and how to correct it? Is there another source to check the ePub?
best3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
What's the error message? Have you made contact with them?...we are a very talented bunch here, but mind reading is, sadly, not one of talents...
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
landed
landed began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I have the same issues and like the aforementioned guy there is no fail in threepress. Lulu never give any debug as to why it doesn't work.

I think the apple stuff is a stricter format but yes I don't know how to validate for that.
landed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Apple is not stricter. There is a lot said and written about Apple, and to be more exact, iBooks restrictions.

Epubcheck is fun, but rather useless. The messages are not usable if there are messages at all.

You're better off using FlightCrew by Valloric as your validation tool. It does way more and better checks and, as a bonus, gives a much better description about what is wrong with your ePub.

Please run it through FlightCrew and report the errors you cannot solve. We will help you if we can.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
One possible issue might be the use of file names with spaces in them. We've seen others report that Apple's validation process doesn't like EPUBs which contain files with spaces in the filenames.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Apple is not stricter.
Well, there's nothing in the EPUB spec that would rule out the use of file names inside the EPUB which contain spaces, but from other posts here, it seems that Apple's validator barfs on them and rejects the EPUB. So either "stricter" or "not as good at coping with some things as it should be".

Quote:
Epubcheck is fun, but rather useless. The messages are not usable if there are messages at all.
Not entirely true. Epubcheck will flag up errors in the HTML code and in the OPF file, and while the messages aren't exactly written in plain English, it's possible to decypher them and act on them, with just a little technical knowledge.

Quote:
You're better off using FlightCrew by Valloric as your validation tool. It ... gives a much better description about what is wrong with your ePub.
Definitely second that recommendation.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
landed

epubcheck is way too technical for me ! I need a GUI to use anything. I will try the flight one and see what happens. thanks for these replies I will report on my findings.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
landed

Ok FC downloads and installs great and has a very clean interface, it said no problems found so I think lulu is now driving me nuts.

Are there other publishers we are starting to think we have to find. I posted on their support forum and no replies so far.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind

The files inside the EPUB - no spaces in the file names? You didn't say...
Old 02-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by landed View Post
epubcheck is way too technical for me ! I need a GUI to use anything. I will try the flight one and see what happens. thanks for these replies I will report on my findings.
Use Sigil. It is gui and includes a good checker built in. You can also use it to fix the problems easily.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote