Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #16
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3 (B006)
I just asked Amazon. They said it was OK if it was a standard USB charger. They said that it shouldn't overheat or damage my Kindl. They did say it could take up to 3 days to fully charge, though!
Stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #17
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
The only negative results I've seen reported from using a non-Kindle charger has been slow charging, and some actually draining the Kindle's battery, somehow. (Not that you couldn't have something go more wrong - just sayin, so far, I haven't seen it reported.)

If you want to play it safe (and want it to work faster than 3 days), there are chargers rated for Kindles for sale for just a few bucks on Amazon. Like $3.

I also saw one bundled with a K3 case, for around $10. You can also look under K2 accessories to find just the chargers for cheap.

Last edited by Piper_; 10-21-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #18
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Of course some chargers drain the battery! If the Kindle draws X watts and the charger supplies 1/2X watts, then the battery still has to supply a little current (1/2X watts instead of X watts in this case). The only time a charger will charge a device such as Kindle even when you are using it is because it has enough current to power the Kindle's CPU as well as charge the battery itself.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:23 AM   #19
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
If you don't have a usb charger, find a usb port? There has got to be atleast a computer with usb port in your house, if not a media box, tv, or something else that will give you 500ma (as others have stated) that will charge it over 4 hours. Which is what I do. I just set it on top of my PC while I load it up with books, or I plug it into my TVs usb port (for pictures or w/e) and let it charge there if i'm too lazy to go plug it in.

But then I don't use it that much so it usually only takes about an hour or so to charge with this method.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #20
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Actually, Kindle will gladly draw 850 mA if it's allowed. It's just that 500 mA is the average computer USB port maximum (well, the maximum for USB 1.0 and 1.1).
Advert

Tags
battery, charger, safety