Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59623
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52691
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45580
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20697
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #17
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I read while I eat a lot. Most of the time I can manage to keep one fingertip clean , but if it's a particularly messy situation, I do this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92890
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The correct term is eBook. Note the capitalization. It's not EBook or e-book or E-Book or e-Book. It is eBook. Same way at the beginning of a sentence as in the middle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #19
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The correct term is eBook. Note the capitalization. It's not EBook or e-book or E-Book or e-Book. It is eBook. Same way at the beginning of a sentence as in the middle.
The Great and Mightly JSWolf has spoken. Henceforth, all posts referring to eBooks as anything other than "eBook" will be deleted and the offending party banned for life.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #20
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
The Great and Mightly JSWolf has spoken. Henceforth, all posts referring to eBooks as anything other than "eBook" will be deleted and the offending party banned for life.

at least he didn't say the L word ....
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #21
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
According to Oxford dictionaries, it's e-book. This is in line with the most popular usage on Google.

According to Chambers (my favourite!), it's e-book or ebook. Chambers is the bestest dictionary in the world in space, so that settles it in my view - either is OK.

I haven't found a dictionary that suggests e-Book or eBook. Is this a provincial usage?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #22
GeoffC

I think a popular view is it's whatever you want !!!!! (apart from eReader, that's a device name)
Old 08-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #23
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I think a popular view is it's whatever you want !!!!! (apart from eReader, that's a device name)
I can tell that's your view from your sig, which has E-Books, e-bookshops and ebooks!

Whatever the Sacred Truth is, you have transgressed and must stand in the naughty corner.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
GeoffC

Old 08-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #25
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And your source or authorization to make this proclomation is?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #26
Andyp133
Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PRS 505, PRS 350, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Don't any of you have a nose? This is one of the advantages of having a touch screen; I can "turn the page" with no hands!
And if somebody turns the page without using hands or nose does that make them a "clever-dick" ?
Andyp133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #27
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceadugenga View Post
Firstly, when starting a sentence with e-Book is it e-Book or E-Book?
I say either ebooks, eBooks seems awkward.

Quote:
What do you do with the e-Book when you've finished reading? Decades of dropping books on the carpet by the chair is going to have to cease, I can see that. The prospect of my lady friend putting her dainty foot on $300 worth of iRiver doesn't bear thinking about.
If the device you're reading them into has possibility of archive/organization, I place the ebook in the appropriate collection/folder. If it's not the case, either I erase it or I let it be. These days I live with the laptop quite near and handy, so it's just a question of a few moves before I can arrange it back. I use calibre on my laptop, by the way.

Quote:
I hear there are people who like to eat and read at the same time.
I suspect some sort of quasi-religious dietary rules may have to come into force here. The hand that dips the chips into the sauce will never turn an electronic page.
There are ways not to use limbs, appendages or so. Like turning on the TTS options (no volume on) and adjusting the speed, or using a device like the PB360 with the appropriate hack- FBReader with timer to turn the page .

Quote:
Wet area usage is another situation fraught with danger, many of us have dropped a book in the bath.
Aquapack! Ziplock! Though I managed to read without dropping a naked Bebook Mini.

Quote:
Will certain situations always demand hard copy books?
I don't know, I think it depends on the book and on the public it's intended for.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #28
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I like this thread. It has the right level of perversity, indecency and controversy.

Some provocative questions to the distinguished members that read their eBooks while eating.

Do they read their eBooks while they are posting?
Do they eat while they are posting?
Do they eat only finger food?
Spoiler:
Do they eat only food?

beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:46 AM   #29
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
I like this thread. It has the right level of perversity, indecency and controversy.

Some provocative questions to the distinguished members that read their eBooks while eating.

Do they read their eBooks while they are posting?
Do they eat while they are posting?
Do they eat only finger food?
Spoiler:
Do they eat only food?

No.
Yes.
Should I be slapping you?
Spoiler: Yes, I should slap you.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 AM   #30
GeoffC

I always find this interesting that few readers call what they read a story .... always a book or ebook