Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #91
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Blue colour. Guitar illustration.
I dunno, it looks like a textbook to me. (My mother ran a dress shop, and always said I was her most difficult customer. I am picky, I admit.) I will run it past the daughter, who will give me her usual ruthless opinion. Actually, I'm betting she'll say, "At least it doesn't have rocking horses on it."

Thank you for doing this, Moejoe. I like your new avatar.
Lexi Revellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #92
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi Revellian View Post
I dunno, it looks like a textbook to me. (My mother ran a dress shop, and always said I was her most difficult customer. I am picky, I admit.) I will run it past the daughter, who will give me her usual ruthless opinion. Actually, I'm betting she'll say, "At least it doesn't have rocking horses on it."

Thank you for doing this, Moejoe. I like your new avatar.
No need for thanks, it's just a bit of fun, playing about with graphics and stuff. What might be helpful is if you find a cover you think is closest to what you think your book is like. Something already published. That should give me an idea of the tone you want and how you wish to be perceived.

EDIT: I also noticed you're not selling through Amazon yet. Is there any particular reason?

Last edited by Moejoe; 08-25-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #93
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These are not my genre, just a random selection I liked as I whizzed through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Pericles-Commi...2741157&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breaking-Daw...587&pf_rd_i=69

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stick-Man-Ju...e=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-War-Sun-...e=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Distant-Hour...e=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Full-Dark-St...e=UTF8&s=books

I'll keep a lookout for covers nearer my genre. I am selling ebooks through Amazon, UK and US: http://www.amazon.com/Remix-ebook/dp...2637055&sr=1-1
Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #94
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Bingo! Got it, you're novel is general fiction that's why it was so hard to peg it.

I'll give it another shot, then it's quitting time.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #95
Moejoe
Banned

Okay, here's my last stab at it Colorful, guitar motif, handwritten font, contemporary (at least I think so).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remix3.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	57135  
Old 08-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #96
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

I rather like that; enticing colours and not too specific...though Comforted by Darkness is just a short story.

Can I hang on to it and give it a whirl if I think my cover/covers are not doing the business on Amazon? My book only went up on the 9th August, so it's early days.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #97
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
I rather like that; enticing colours and not too specific...though Comforted by Darkness is just a short story.

Can I hang on to it and give it a whirl if I think my cover/covers are not doing the business on Amazon? My book only went up on the 9th August, so it's early days.
Course you can, have at it with my blessing. And it doesn't matter what bollocks you put on the front cover blurb most of the time...I could have put winner of several awards (but left out that they were swimming awards) and it would still be truthful
Old 08-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #98
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Course you can, have at it with my blessing. And it doesn't matter what bollocks you put on the front cover blurb most of the time...I could have put winner of several awards (but left out that they were swimming awards) and it would still be truthful
I think it matters once you are successful - look at Jeffrey Archer. No one would have had a go at him but for his success. So perhaps I'd better not put that Remix was shortlisted for the Booker, just in case...
Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #99
Music&Mayhem
Connoisseur
Music&Mayhem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Music&Mayhem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Music&Mayhem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Music&Mayhem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Music&Mayhem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Music&Mayhem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Music&Mayhem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Music&Mayhem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Music&Mayhem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Music&Mayhem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Music&Mayhem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Re: slightly off topic, but a fan nonetheless

Quote:
I've just epublished Remix on Smashwords, and am offering it FREE for a week with the coupon code QE49G. The most frequent comment I've had from readers is that it's an effortless read - and it's guaranteed typo-free. Why not give it a go?
Sounds fantastic Lexi! I'm a newbie to MobileRead and also an author. I admire your Avatar photo and your sig line. May you have much success with your latest book.

Susan
Music&Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #100
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music&Mayhem View Post
Sounds fantastic Lexi! I'm a newbie to MobileRead and also an author. I admire your Avatar photo and your sig line. May you have much success with your latest book.

Susan
Hi Susan! I'm sure you'll like it here
Old 09-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #101
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Sorry for not posting review immediately after I finished the book, but:
- I am busy
- I am lazy ;-)
- I wanted to have a look at the book later to see if I remain as enthusiastic about it as when I finished it.

Thank you Lexi, for a nice, straightforward, light detective story. The book is full of small, well researched details, that make the story very believable.
The book somehow reminds me of some of early Dick Francis books. And I have special place in my heart for all that is, however remotely, connected with Mr. Francis. Is it horses ;-) ? Or fast paced story with involuntary detective? Or all those small details?

Oh ... One more thing.
I have posted a short review on Smaswords.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #102
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Kacir, thank you so much - I was thrilled by your review, because I set out to write something as unputdownable as an early Dick Francis, with an intelligent but naive heroine a bit like the protagonist of I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. So I'm impressed by your perception.

No one writes page turners that you have to read till you finish like DF. He's one of the few writers who've kept me up hours past my bedtime.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:23 AM   #103
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No one writes page turners that you have to read till you finish like DF.
His books have another quality, you might not even have noticed.
His English is exceptionally well suited for reading by people that only learn English. When I wrote that he has special place in my heart it wasn't just because his books kept me reading well past my bedtime. The very first "real" (understand non-textbook, non-simplified-edition) book in English I have ever read was one of his books. It was only much later that I realized how lucky I was to pick his book. Many of the books that I have tried to read a bit later I had to put away, until my English improves enough. But thanks to his book I knew that there ARE books that I can read comfortably, so I was looking for books that I could read to improve my English. Well over a thousand books [in English!] later I am not even noticing if the book has "easy English" ;-)
Old 09-10-2010, 03:26 AM   #104
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
His books have another quality, you might not even have noticed.
His English is exceptionally well suited for reading by people that only learn English(*). When I wrote that he has special place in my heart it wasn't just because his books kept me reading well past my bedtime. The very first "real" (understand non-textbook, non-simplified-edition) book in English I have ever read was one of his books. It was only much later that I realized how lucky I was to pick his book. Many of the books that I have tried to read a bit later I had to put away, until my English improves enough. But thanks to his book I knew that there ARE books that I can read comfortably, so I was looking for books that I could read to improve my English. Well over a thousand books [in English!] later I am not even noticing if the book has "easy English" ;-)
(*) it is *very* difficult to write something that is easy for a beginner, and, *at the same time*, interesting enough for people that are proficient in language.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #105
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Good heavens! Is English not your first language? I'd never have guessed.

Dick Francis said his writing style was honed by writing a racing column for a newspaper, and learning from the changes the editor made to his text, cutting out anything extraneous. But he had a natural gift to start with, no doubt.

I also admire anyone who can go right to the top in two entirely different professions.

Tags
compelling, easy read, feel good, free, page turner