Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #46
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Fablehaven

I've just recently finished the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull and enjoyed it an awful lot.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:04 AM   #47
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Thank you for this thread! I have a 9-year old daughter who loves to read too, so I'll try to think of some books she's read.
  • Anything by Louisa May Alcott (Little Women books, Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag...)
  • The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit
  • Also Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit
  • The Alice in Wonderland books
  • Frank L. Baum has many books, in addition to Wizard of Oz
  • A Child's History of England by Charles Dickens
  • Sherlock Holmes (I don't know if she's interested in that sort, but my daughter recently "discovered" those mysteries)

These are all in Public Domain. I'll keep checking this thread for ideas for my girl, too. Thanks for starting it!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 03:59 AM   #48
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
I heard from somewhere that they are planning to release the Harry Potter books for the kindle. I'm not sure when or where I heard that, but I'm sure they would make a big splash in the ebook scene.

P.S. this thread is awesome. So many great classics from Pullman to Carroll, Twain and Pipi Longstocking! I think the posters in this thread served up about 70% of my childhood.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:07 AM   #49
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Thank you for this thread! I have a 9-year old daughter who loves to read too, so I'll try to think of some books she's read.
  • Anything by Louisa May Alcott (Little Women books, Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag...)
  • The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit
  • Also Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit
  • The Alice in Wonderland books
  • Frank L. Baum has many books, in addition to Wizard of Oz
  • A Child's History of England by Charles Dickens
  • Sherlock Holmes (I don't know if she's interested in that sort, but my daughter recently "discovered" those mysteries)

These are all in Public Domain. I'll keep checking this thread for ideas for my girl, too. Thanks for starting it!
ohhhhh! the railway children!!!! I still think about those books when I am at the grocery store!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
I heard from somewhere that they are planning to release the Harry Potter books for the kindle. I'm not sure when or where I heard that, but I'm sure they would make a big splash in the ebook scene.

P.S. this thread is awesome. So many great classics from Pullman to Carroll, Twain and Pipi Longstocking! I think the posters in this thread served up about 70% of my childhood.
NOWAI!!!!! J.K. is finally getting over the ebook issue!? WONDERFUL!!!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:34 AM   #50
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
Highly unlikely. There was a thread on MR back in 2007 speculating if JKR was releasing legal ebook copies, still no go.

...not that you can't get copies, anyway. Oh JKR.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #51
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I'd have to recommend the modern classics To Kill a Mockingbird and The Catcher in the Rye. Both are not available as eBooks yet though.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #52
R.G. Cordiner
Enthusiast
R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!R.G. Cordiner is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
I would recommend Roald Dahl's The Witches - great book! i have read it to my grade 5s and 2s - all loved it

Last edited by dreams; 07-17-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: removed author self-promotion links
R.G. Cordiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:39 AM   #53
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
I knew there was something I was forgetting... How about The Bobbsey Twins? I think that's how it's spelled. I've never read them, but I have a good friend who grew up reading them, and she's suggested them for my daughter. I believe there are several of them in the public domain.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #54
crangirl
Connoisseur
crangirl doesn't littercrangirl doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360
Hmm, maybe I will be reading some of these books too.. although I'm not a precocious young reader

(Your nine year old seems to be better at reading and understanding books than I am..(26)! Ok, English isn't my first language, but still... I should do something about that..).
crangirl is offline   Reply With Quote