Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 03:12 AM   #1
eli2k
eli2k began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-S1, Nexus 7, iPad Mini 2, iPad 1G
Help/advice for buying ebooks

So there's this book I want on Amazon, but it's in the Kindle format and so it obviously will not work on the Sony. The book is available on kobobooks, but I was wondering if their format is compatible, or if there was any DRM on there? I read somewhere they don't use much DRM and it can load books with Calibre, but just wanted to check before I buy a book I can't even read on the reader. Thanks.

The book I wanted is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Switch-Chip-He...C4659AG1AA8AGK
eli2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
The format in Kobo will be OK for your Sony, DRM or no DRM, but I'm afraid you can't know if it has DRM prior to the purchase unless you ask them.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 03:47 AM   #3
eli2k
eli2k began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-S1, Nexus 7, iPad Mini 2, iPad 1G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
The format in Kobo will be OK for your Sony, DRM or no DRM, but I'm afraid you can't know if it has DRM prior to the purchase unless you ask them.
Thanks. Just to clarify, even if it has DRM it'll work on the reader I have. It's not like Kindle format.
eli2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
redhead231
Enthusiast
redhead231 doesn't litterredhead231 doesn't litter

Device: PRS 505
DRM mean you cannot share the book basically, its never yours, so to speak. It will stay on your computer,but if you were to delete the file, you would have to pay for it again. As long as the format is ok, then no problems adding to your reader. Dont forget if you have Calibre, you can change the format to say EPub, which the reader will read easily. Hope that helps a little.
redhead231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Eli. Best wishes. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead231 View Post
DRM mean you cannot share the book basically, its never yours, so to speak. It will stay on your computer,but if you were to delete the file, you would have to pay for it again. As long as the format is ok, then no problems adding to your reader. Dont forget if you have Calibre, you can change the format to say EPub, which the reader will read easily. Hope that helps a little.
Um, DRM is more than that. For example, you can't change the format. Or read it on a different device. Or much of anything else, really. It's like having a pbook that you can only read in your living room (and at your current address) and only put on a registered bookshelf. Buy a new bookshelf, or move to a new house, or even try to read in your bedroom, and you're screwed.

Whether or not you have to re-buy the book if you delete the file is independent of DRM. Most ebookstores let you download books you've bought any time you need to (just in case of file deletions, for instance). It's whether or not you can use them after you've done so that's restricted by DRM.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
redhead231
Enthusiast
redhead231 doesn't litterredhead231 doesn't litter

Device: PRS 505
Sorry I was just trying to make it easy to understand, rather than go into too much detail. I know the file cant be changed on a DRM book, I was referring to non DRM books.
redhead231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli2k View Post
Thanks. Just to clarify, even if it has DRM it'll work on the reader I have. It's not like Kindle format.
That's right.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote