Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
johnrsmith
Enthusiast
johnrsmith began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Newbie question: which app do I want?

There are several apps called Calibre in the Google Play store. Calibre Companion, Calibre-go, Calibre Companion Demo Version, etc. Which is the actual e-book app?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.png
Views:	154
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	156182  
johnrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
None of them! There are a wide variety of eBook reading apps on Android - you need to pick the one you like the most.

Of the apps you mentioned the one that is most likely to be useful is Calibre Companion. This interfaces to the Calibre server running on your PC/Mac and your chosen reading app on Android. It helps act as a bridge between the two.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moon+ (and there are many more) for VIEWING books (not limited to Calibre managed)

As Itimpi said, all those are Library Management apps

Calibre Companion is tightly integrated with Calibre (desktop) to extend many features to you connected device.

(I do not use any of these, so I may not have it all correct) Some of the others, make use of the Calibre DB
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Calibre cloud can access a calibre library on a cloud storage service - such as, but not necessarily, dropbox, google drive, on drive etc. Calibre connection can do that too - as well access library via your wireless LAN

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
johnrsmith
Enthusiast
johnrsmith began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Thank you for the clarification. This is all still very new to me, although my Kobo Vox eReader is rather old. Like I posted in the Kobo tablets forum, I'm looking for an alternative to OverDrive so that I can read books through my local library. But I think my limitation is the eReader itself which runs on Android 2.3.4.

Fortunately Moon + Reader works on this device and the Pro version was well worth the $5 I paid for it. My main purpose in buying this Kobo Vox was to read PDF files while on the exercycle at the gym, and Moon + Reader allows me to to that. Is there a setting on the Kobo Vox that will help me loose weight?

Thanks again for your help to this forum newbie.
johnrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrsmith View Post
Fortunately Moon + Reader works on this device and the Pro version was well worth the $5 I paid for it. My main purpose in buying this Kobo Vox was to read PDF files while on the exercycle at the gym, and Moon + Reader allows me to to that. Is there a setting on the Kobo Vox that will help me loose weight?
Of the apps you listed I use Calibre Companion and Moon + Reader Pro for 5 years. The android version of Calibre Companion was created and maintained by Charles Haley, one of the many programmers that contribute to calibre's feature set. This means if a new feature of calibre companion requires a change in calibre's program Charles will most likely write the code for both ends.

Also as you noted there is a free demo version you can try out first.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote