Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
jimbocho
jimbocho began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
pdf hyperlinks to external files - possible?

Hyperlinks in PDF documents can point to either other points in the same document, or they can point to other PDF documents.

I would like to create a dynamically created PDF index of other dynamically created content for my iLiad. I would like this PDF index to open other PDF files, by using PDF hyperlinks.

I created a test PDF using Acrobat Professional and added a hyperlink to another PDF file. I verified that the hyperlink was using a relative path and not an absolute path (which is really confusing in Acrobat Professional.) I copied the PDF with the hyperlink and the PDF file the hyperlink references to a different directory and a different PC and the hyperlink worked to open the second PDF file.

However when I copy the two PDF files to my iLiad, the hyperlink does not work. Does anyone know if the iLiad PDF viewer supports hyperlinks to external documents? Is it possible to replace it with a PDF viewer that does? Is this dependent on the PDF version by any chance?

thank you,
-Jim
jimbocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I asked a similar question but related to linking different notes to an external table of contents. I know the notes are not PDF. Based on a previous solution utilizing PDF's for notes I have a feeling what you found is correct but I don't know for sure. It is a good question.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Implement cross file links in PDF or HTML and you've got a way better contentlister...

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #4
jimbocho

Yeah, I tried file:// links to local PDF files in html and it didn't work either :-(
Old 08-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
Not having tested anything, but...

Even if external links would be supported by the iPDF viewer (I have no idea)
you have to account for the fact that your average iLiad file gets moved
into a folder having the same name as the original by the iLiad.

This breaks even the most relative path you may come up with, because
not just your target but also your "table-of-contents-pdf" gets moved
one level up (or down - never got the wording right) in your directory tree...

Just my two EUR cent...

Dirk
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
jimbocho

That's a good point! But since I am uploading all the PDFs as well programatically, I think when I upload the PDFs I could easily emulate the iLiad's scheme of putting the PDF in a folder of the same name, along with manifest.xml file etc. Then the file would never get moved, and I could start linking to it immediately...
Old 08-15-2008, 04:10 AM   #7
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbocho View Post
...I could easily emulate the iLiad's scheme of putting the PDF...

I can't imagine how you do it "easily". Please share your experience when you do.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:12 AM   #8
jimbocho

Huh?Say I have a file gold.pdf. I make a new directory /mnt/free/newspapers/gold.pdf. I copy gold.pdf into that directory. Then I make a manifest.xml and a scribble.irx file and also put them in the gold.pdf directory. The contents of the manifest and scribble files are very simple and can easily be created if you simply look at a sample one. How is this difficult?

Then even after the user views gold.pdf for the first time, the location of gold.pdf doesn't change, because it looks to the iLiad just like it has already been viewed (i.e. has the correct folder structure.)
Old 08-16-2008, 03:30 AM   #9
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Since you are doing just the same with iLiad, why not let iLiad do it for you?
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #10
DigiDirk
Connoisseur

If you have a "table-of-contents.pdf" you would have to open your "target.pdf"
first via the contentlister to create the path you have coded into your table of contents.

Thats obviously not desired...

Dirk
Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDirk View Post
first via the contentlister to create the path you have coded into your table of contents.

Dirk
No you don't. If a manifest file exists for your PDF, the Content Lister will not move your file. I use pregenerated manifests for all my books (to set the Title, Author and Cover the way I want them).

It also doesn't matter what the directory name is (Though I usually name it the title of the book in a way that I can easily sort).
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
DigiDirk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbocho View Post
Huh?Say I have a file gold.pdf. I make a new directory /mnt/free/newspapers/gold.pdf. I copy gold.pdf into that directory. Then I make a manifest.xml and a scribble.irx file and also put them in the gold.pdf directory. The contents of the manifest and scribble files are very simple and can easily be created if you simply look at a sample one. How is this difficult?

Then even after the user views gold.pdf for the first time, the location of gold.pdf doesn't change, because it looks to the iLiad just like it has already been viewed (i.e. has the correct folder structure.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
Since you are doing just the same with iLiad, why not let iLiad do it for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDirk View Post

Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
No you don't. If a manifest file exists for your PDF, the Content Lister will not move your file. I use pregenerated manifests for all my books (to set the Title, Author and Cover the way I want them).

It also doesn't matter what the directory name is (Though I usually name it the title of the book in a way that I can easily sort).
We all agree on that. I answered to "why not let iLiad do it for you?"

And jimbocho already mentioned "pregenerated manifest" files.

Dirk
Old 12-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
Napoleon
Master of the Universe
Napoleon is on a distinguished road

Device: Irex Iliad 2/e
So, what's the bottom line here? Does this work or not?

Frankly, this whole discussion reminds me of Einstein's retort when he heard about the publication of a book called "100 Scientists Against Einstein", stating his relativity theory was erroneous:
"If I were wrong, one would have been enough."

Have anyone tried this? Does it work or not?
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #14
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Sorry, but Einstein is wrong... ehm, links to other PDFs don't work

See the attached files (1.pdf and 2.pdf) which I created from very simple HTML files (1.html and 2.html). The links work on my PC, but not on the device.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1.pdf (84.3 KB, 477 views)
File Type: pdf 2.pdf (83.9 KB, 486 views)
File Type: txt 1.html.txt (214 Bytes, 402 views)
File Type: txt 2.html.txt (80 Bytes, 436 views)
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hyperlink, link, pdf