Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Display problems using 0.8.55 on Linux

Hi,

so, I broke my Calibre, I believe... I updated to 0.8.55 just now. After starting for the first time, the Calibre window was rendered on about 1/4 of my screen area, but the controls were at the same place they would've been had the window been fullscreen. This is kinda difficult to explain, for example, to get the preferences, I had to click on the desktop showing on the side of my Calibre window, and it actually opened the preferences (I could see which toolbar button was selected). I figured this might have something to do with the new display style, so I switched to the new style and restarted. This resulted in the window not being rendered at all. The window is there, I can see the tray icon and an active program, and when I click on the close program- button I get a dialog telling me that Calibre will continue running in the tray, but it's completely transparent.
I don't know where the Calibre config directory is, otherwise I'd like to at least switch off the modern interface style. Any other insights would be appreciated.

I'm running Calibre 0.8.55 on Linux Mint 13 64 bit. If any other data is needed, tell me.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The modern interface is not on by default. And what you are describing doesn't seem like it could be caused by that option anyway. THe calibre config files are in ~/.config/calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The modern interface is not on by default.
I know, my coffee-deficient brain decided it might be a good idea to activate it

I edited widget-style to default in ~/.config/calibre/gui.json and got the normal Calibre window back, thanks for the help. I don't know what the scaled-to-1/4-weirdness was that I got initially, but if this is something that you want to debug further, I'm game.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A screenshot would help
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Hi,

so, I broke my Calibre, I believe... I updated to 0.8.55 just now.
I'm running Calibre 0.8.55 on Linux Mint 13 64 bit. If any other data is needed, tell me.
This - or a very similar issue - has been discussed before.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...00#post2095600
I personally have "solved" this, by staying on Mint Linux 11 for the time being. No problems with Calibre at all. And I have been using Calibre quite a lot in the last few weeks. In the meanwhile I am looking around for a better distro. ... sigh ...
---- BEWARE, GOING TO RANT MODE ----
;-)
I have been using Mint Linux for a long time - since Celena, (and then through Daryna, Elisa, Felicia, Gloria, Helena, Isadora, Katya). Despite very valiant efforts of Clem I have to consider the last two releases unsuitable for daily work.
Fortunately I have a set-up that allows me to use several distros at the same time (see the above thread) so I can afford the luxury of trying out the new stuff while keeping the good, old, reliable workhouse ready for serious work, with just a reboot away.

I am eying Scientific Linux with interest, and I have just finished downloading Kororaa linux to try out. I have already tried and rejected Lubuntu. There are too many little things that are not done to my taste. (I do realize I have been spoiled *rotten* by up-to-now fantastic Mint Linux) I see that [relatively recent version of] Calibre is in FreeBSD ports, so I am also going to try out that as well(*). I have been using FreeBSD since "good ole" 4.8 days, and I still have one primary partition reserved for *BSD system so perhaps I will return ... Now that I think about it, I am going to download PC-BSD 9.0 to give it a spin.

I am *SO* pissed off with the recent Unity, Gnome 3 and related debacles. Why did they need to REMOVE functionality from out favorite and well tuned distros. I was so happy with Mint for the last few years. Just install it, add a few favorite apps, and I was ready to roll in a couple of hours. Now I am going to have to spend weeks tinkering with various systems until I get something I am satisfied with ...

(*) calibre was not supported on FreeBSD at the time I was using FreeBSD as the main system. Which was one of reasons I left for Mint Linux. The other reasons was that the kernel in the Release was clashing with the hardware I was using at the time and the KDE 4.0 debacle.

---- RANT MODE OFF ----
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
A screenshot would help
I can give you a screenshot of the nothingness that I get when I try to use the new interface, if that helps. The scaling thing that I got on the first launch hasn't happened again yet. I'll try to reinstall Calibre later and see if it happens, unfortunately, I forgot to grab a screenshot the first time around.