Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
renswic
Enthusiast
renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: 2018 PW4
Kindle 3 renaming books when they are loaded.

Ok in my book folder on my PC I have books listed by ether author or series(meaning there is a folder for say the Shannara series, one for the Landover series and one named Terry Brooks for his stand alone stuff).

Now, with using the Shannara series as an example, There are 22 books in the series and on my PC I have them labeled as such:

1 Running with the Demon
2 A Knight of the Word
ect ect

Makes it handy when one can't remember the exact order of the series. Yet when I load them on my Kindle the numbers go away? Any way to make it keep said numbers or at least let someone order the books the way they want?

If it helps it is a 3.1 that has been jail broken with the screen saver hack and I do have calibre but my knowledge of it is converting books(mainly epub to mobi)

And on a completely random note, the wasp that just stung my hand, I really hate you...
renswic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle doesn't use the filename; it displays the title that's a part of the metadata within the book. This can be edited using programs such as Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
renswic
Enthusiast
renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle doesn't use the filename; it displays the title that's a part of the metadata within the book. This can be edited using programs such as Calibre.

K, how does one edit them?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right click on the book in your Calibre library and select "Edit Metadata" from the pop-up menu.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I ran into the metadata name mixup when I first got my Kindle. Thank FSM for Calibre making it easy to edit that.

And...I hate wasps.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Don't forget if you change the metadata in calibre, you still need to convert the file for the metadata to be written to the ebook (otherwise, the change only exists in the calibre metadata db). Just do a mobi to mobi conversion if you want to see your changes show up on the Kindle Home screen.

Also, the Kindle doesn't display series metadata. You either have to come up with your own naming/numbering scheme (and include it in the book's title) so the Kindle will sort them the way you want. Or you can look into calibre plugboards.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
renswic
Enthusiast

Hmm, seems like more hassle then worth(one series of books is 200+ titles). I may just do a txt file cheat sheet.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's no law that says you have to put all 200 on the kindle at once... babysteps.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
renswic
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There's no law that says you have to put all 200 on the kindle at once... babysteps.
Oh I know, but in the long run it will be easier to do a cheat sheet. 90% of the books I read are series books and that makes for a lot of metadata editing and reconverting

I'll slowing get them done like that though as I know a cheat sheet will get annoying at some point

Thanks all!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I don't think you have to convert the book to get the name change written, I just changed the name of a book and than saved to disk. opened it up in kindle for PC and the name change was there.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
I don't think you have to convert the book to get the name change written, I just changed the name of a book and than saved to disk. opened it up in kindle for PC and the name change was there.
You are correct. A Save To/Export will usually write the metadata to the file as well (there are configurable settings for how and when the metadata changes become "permanent"). I just know that the "Send to Device" option isn't enough to get the job done when the target device is a Kindle. I always recommend the mobi2mobi conversion because it seems simpler (to me) than saving to disk first and then manually copying the file to the Kindle (and possibly re-importing the altered file back into calibre). But by far... the "save to disk" option is the least intrusive on the original file's formatting.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-18-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
You are correct. A Save To/Export will usually write the metadata to the file as well (there are configurable settings for how and when the metadata changes become "permanent"). I just know that the "Send to Device" option isn't enough to get the job done when the target device is a Kindle. I always recommend the mobi2mobi conversion because it seems simpler (to me) than saving to disk first and then manually copying the file to the Kindle (and possibly re-importing the altered file back into calibre). But by far... the "save to disk" option is the least intrusive on the original file's formatting.
send to device doesn't do the same thing as save to disk ? my kindle is broke and i am waiting on a replacement so i couldn't test it that way.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
send to device doesn't do the same thing as save to disk ? my kindle is broke and i am waiting on a replacement so i couldn't test it that way.
Well apparently it does now.

I just verified it with all three metadata management options in the Send to devices preferences. And it worked flawlessly on all three. Apparently I've been operating on old/faulty info.

But I know I've seen Kovid recommending conversions to fix metadata issues... even recently.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:33 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The ONLY time you need to do a Mobi to Mobi conversion is when you change the cover image. If you change the metadata, both "Send to Device" and "Save to Disk" will write the book with the changed metadata.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The ONLY time you need to do a Mobi to Mobi conversion is when you change the cover image. If you change the metadata, both "Send to Device" and "Save to Disk" will write the book with the changed metadata.
I knew there was some reason that the mobi to mobi conversion was necessary. I was beginning to think I was crazy. Thanks Harry!