Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
wafercat
wafercat
wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch
Question Problem with rooted touch nook

I have a new touch nook, which I love, though it does have problems.
It's native browser is lame and as purchased android is not accessible.

I tried to root my nook using http://nookdevs.com/NookTouch_Rooting
and got nowhere. For some reason the process would not complete.

I found http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook-touch-root.html and
this worked nicely. It appears (to me) that this not a compete Rooting
it is rather a bypass that allows use of Android (which BN doesn't allow)

I have been exploring what is possible with Android and it is very exciting.
I have looked at the Android Market and downloaded Opera, finding it
a far better and much more usable browser.

This brings me to my problem. When browsing I attempted to look at a
video. MISTAKE! My Nook is completely locked up, it recognizes nothing,
neither the touch screen or the power button.

HELP! I have no real idea where to go with this. It probably need a major
reset. How is that done? Do I need to let the battery to run out?

Last edited by wafercat; 08-31-2011 at 10:44 PM.
wafercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
link: http://www.keyourcars.com/2011/06/26...ouch-recovery/
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
did you back up your Touch first before 'upgrading' as most recommend?

does your Touch have a charge?

you don't say what "attempted to look at a video" means; were you on YouTube? or did you attempt to download a video using Opera?

your Touch will lock up if you try to watch a YouTube video, but the power button will allow you to restart - the Touch does not support watching video (and most likely never will)
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 AM   #4
wafercat
wafercat
wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wafercat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I backed up what I could, but as I am working with an XP Window machine, I know this is not everything. I presently don't have a working linux machine.

I tried to look at a video using Opera, looking as a news item video.

I have let the Nook idle for 2 days and found the locked screen had cleared to the normal idle screen and it appears to be operating normally.

thank to all
Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
wafercat
wafercat

Touch Nook Rooted with some problems

As noted with my past postings I have rooted my Nook with the easy method. This seems to be a bypass, not a full rooting. It is useful but not complete.

I would like to do a complete rooting. I've tried the compete rooting with it as is and found that doesn't work. This shows I need my Nook to be returned to it's original state to do the rooting. I've tried to do this by powering down the Nook 8 times and this doesn't work. Apparently the bypass I have makes this unworkable.

In addition to this I have made the mistake in locking the Launcher to the stock Nook Home. This software is badly designed because this cannot be easily reversed.

The basically I need to find out how I can return my Nook to it's factory state, and if this is not possible to unlock Launchers Home.

I have restarted my old computer with Lubuntu 10.04 so I could work with my Nook. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find the Linux files on the Nook. Some help would be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by wafercat; 09-18-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: clarification
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
wafercat
wafercat

Continuing problems with rooted touch nook

I found that normally the nook would have a section /rom/devconf/bootcount 8
(unsure of the format of entry of the 8. Should this be =8 ?)

I have been able to load both ES File Explorer and Boot Explorer and found that this doesn't exist in my nook. I have been unable to enter this. How is this Done??

As my Launcher is locked on the Standard Nook Home, it is somewhat difficult to get access to the Explorers. Generally I have to load other apps to get me close enough to get to them. Is there an easier way to unlock the Launcher??