Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How did you discover your favourite author?
Bought a new hardback book 6 6.25%
Bought a new paperback book 27 28.13%
Bought a used book (hard or soft) 6 6.25%
Library loan 22 22.92%
Bought a new ebook 3 3.13%
Acquired a used ebook 3 3.13%
Other 29 30.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I read about Douglas Adams before and was delighted that his writing is every bit as witty as I supposed. So I just went in and bought a new paperback copy of HHGG.
The original was better. Not a patch on Earthsearch though.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #17
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
We had the same drug dealer.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #18
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I met my favorite author at a Science Fiction convention, and was so impressed with her, that I started reading her books.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #19
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
I discovered many of my favorite authors via recommendations from friends & family, i.e. they lent me their copies of the books or received copies as gifts
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #20
0utis
Enthusiast
0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook 902
Playing a video game. Yes, really. It was Discworld I and thanks to it, I discovered Terry Pratchett who is one of my favorite authors to this day.
0utis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #21
West Virginia
Enthusiast
West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Augen The Book
I took a book from my grandfather, Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Gods of Mars. I figured he was too old to notice. He died soon after, so I guess it worked out. Twenty seven years later I still read Burroughs.

J
West Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #22
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I purchased a CD containing a collection of SiFi/Fantasy ebooks. It had many that I had never heard of so when I started reading I found a few collections that stood out. Since it was a few years ago I found the authors had added more and I ended up buying missing books.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #23
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Libraries really are wonderful and I spent many an hour in the school library and public library as a preteen and teen and discovered many of my favorite authors then. In the years since I've added a few more favs, but nothing compares to those first favorite authors. You know, for some of my early fav authors I've only just started trying to buy backlist ebooks to go with the dtb I already have so most of my ebooks are from authors I only like rather than love.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #24
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I acquired mine by E-book loan from the E-library
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #25
mountain_lion
Addict
mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: fbreader, Kindle
I have many favorite authors, but the one the really made me read all his books is Paolo Cohelo he is from Brazil and I love every single book that he has written.
mountain_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My favorite author was discovered long before I stumbled onto him
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #27
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
I have a number of favorite authors. Some I found by buying new paperbacks (Stover, Pratchett, de Lint), some I found by buying used books (Kushner), some I found by recommendation (Zelazny, Brust). Actually, in the case of Zelazny it wasn't direct recommendation so much as "borrowing" a book off my dad's shelf, but it amounts to the same thing.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #28
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I have more than one favourite author and they were all discovered in different ways. Buying a new paperback/hardback/ebook. Receiving a free book by the author. Acquiring ebooks etc.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #29
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I have more than one favourite author and they were all discovered in different ways. Buying a new paperback/hardback/ebook. Receiving a free book by the author. Acquiring ebooks etc.
Your favourite favourite. If all your favourites brought a new book out on the same day, the one you would read first.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #30
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Your favourite favourite. If all your favourites brought a new book out on the same day, the one you would read first.
Ok my favourite favourite would have to be Amy Tan and I discovered her after watching a movie adaptation of one of her books.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote