Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Reading Recommendations for precocious young readers

I'm moving this over from the other thread as suggested. there have been a lot of good suggestions over there so maybe this can be a thread for young readers. as e-readers become more common it would be nice to keep up with the books for the young ones that are available. and equally helpful to maybe know about ones that sound good, but should maybe be avoided.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Not available for the Kindle yet, but I recommend the Malory Towers series by Enid Blyton

http://www.amazon.com/First-Term-at-...sr=8-1-catcorr

And the St Clare's series:

http://www.amazon.com/OSullivan-Twin...7909795&sr=1-1
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
How young? About 12 or older I'd rec Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" Triology. As the title implies its a little dark and scary but kids tend to like that. The main character is a fearless young girl.

The first book in the series, The Golden Compass, was made into a movie. It was really bad as are most books turned movie fodder.
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Anything from Anne Mccaffrey should be of the 'right age group' ? - also David (and Leigh) Eddings, and Alan Dean Foster's Flinx series ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What about Nancy Drew? I'd suggest Trixie Belden but apparently you can't get them in ebooks, which is a shame. Hrm.

Has she read Peter Pan and Wendy, Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, Heidi, The Secret Garden, The Brothers Grimm Fairytales, The Story of Doctor Dolittle?

Librivox has a list of PD childrens works here: http://librivox.org/childrens-literature/ the pages should have links to the free texts as well as the audiobooks they've made.

Edit: Also. Black Beauty, A Little Princess... I was little not so long ago, I should be able to remember more. I'll think on it. XD (The benefits of being nineteen ><; you remember the books you read as a kid easily)

Last edited by nashira; 06-30-2010 at 12:12 PM.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Really depends on a kid's interests but I remember (in addition to reading anything and everything else I could get my hands on) liking the following in particular and they have stuck with me in memory over the years:
Anything by Enid Blyton (second recommendation above)
Narnia series by C.S. Lewis
The Great Brain series
Judy Blume (various books depending on age group)
Piers Anthony (Xanth and Split Infinity (?) series)
Trebizon (another girl's boarding school series)
Heidi
Pippi Longstocking
Watership Down
All of a Kind Family
Five Little Peppers
Anne of Green Gables, Emily of New Moon, Pat of Silverbush (all series by LM Montgomery)
Little House on the Prairie
Little Lord Fauntleroy, Secret Garden, Little Princess (Frances Hodgson Burnett stories)
The Cay
The Diamond in the Window (this was the first in a series which I never realized and so never read any of the other ones but this one stuck with me)
The Case of the Vanishing Boy (and other stories by Alexander Key of Witch Mountain fame)

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowhappy View Post
How young? About 12 or older I'd rec Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" Triology. As the title implies its a little dark and scary but kids tend to like that. The main character is a fearless young girl.

The first book in the series, The Golden Compass, was made into a movie. It was really bad as are most books turned movie fodder.
9, but a precocious 9. she's been through all of Potter, Narnia and Lord of the Rings. those are the ones Mom knows about for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Anything from Anne Mccaffrey should be of the 'right age group' ? - also David (and Leigh) Eddings, and Alan Dean Foster's Flinx series ....
ah yes! McCaffery! and Flinx is a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
What about Nancy Drew? I'd suggest Trixie Belden but apparently you can't get them in ebooks, which is a shame. Hrm.
a
Has she read Peter Pan and Wendy, Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, Heidi, The Secret Garden, The Brothers Grimm Fairytales, The Story of Doctor Dolittle?

Librivox has a list of PD childrens works here: http://librivox.org/childrens-literature/ the pages should have links to the free texts as well as the audiobooks they've made.

Edit: Also. Black Beauty, A Little Princess... I was little not so long ago, I should be able to remember more. I'll think on it. XD (The benefits of being nineteen ><; you remember the books you read as a kid easily)
actually Nancy Drew is available. unfortunately they are either 5 or 6 bucks apiece. I remember burning through those in an afternoon as a kid. too bad they aren't selling them as a collection for e-readers. also, I'm not sure why they aren't in the pubblic domain. the others are good suggestions as well thanks!

did you read the original Black Beauty or one of the kinder, gentler ones? I STILL remember reading that!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Oh it was Trixie I said isn't available. I opened the kindle store to check. XD

I read the original, I have five paper copies of it and it was a little horrifying... but I would have been about her age when I read it and it made me look at things a bit differently. Something which lacks in modern books for children more often than not. :/
Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
Oh it was Trixie I said isn't available. I opened the kindle store to check. XD

I read the original, I have five paper copies of it and it was a little horrifying... but I would have been about her age when I read it and it made me look at things a bit differently. Something which lacks in modern books for children more often than not. :/
sorry, I focused on the Nancy bit and skipped right over Trixie. I had forgotten that one! ok, I was wondering about Black Beauty. a lot of people think they have read it, when in fact it was one of the pasturized versions. that should be in the Public Domain!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
nashira
Addict

We have dozens of Trixie books XD It's why I mentioned her. But alas ebooks really can't be found.

I read a lot of what would probably count as "Young Adult" by some people who are paranoid about letting kids read emotional stuff. Never did me any harm. So yeah, read the real Black Beauty, but I think I had a kiddy version too. Back Beauty is PD: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/271

How about this? I haven't read it but it should be alright: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/8075

What about Louisa May Alcott's works? http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/a#a102

Also, The Jungle Book is PD: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/236

Oh and check out this section to PG: http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/loccs/pz

And there is a YA and Childrens section in the ebook library here too if you hadn't checked. (you probably have, but. In case!)

Last edited by nashira; 06-30-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
In pbook only - All Creatures Great & Small series.

Percy Jackson series.

Tom Sawyer, etc. - Twain books.

Robert Louis Stevenson

Jack London

Agatha Christie
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Really depends on a kid's interests but I remember (in addition to reading anything and everything else I could get my hands on) liking the following in particular and they have stuck with me in memory over the years:
Anything by Enid Blyton (second recommendation above)
Narnia series by C.S. Lewis
The Great Brain series
Judy Blume (various books depending on age group)
Piers Anthony (Xanth and Split Infinity (?) series)
Trebizon (another girl's boarding school series)
Heidi
Pippi Longstocking
Watership Down
All of a Kind Family
Five Little Peppers
Anne of Green Gables, Emily of New Moon, Pat of Silverbush (all series by LM Montgomery)
Little House on the Prairie
Little Lord Fauntleroy, Secret Garden, Little Princess (Frances Hodgson Burnett stories)
The Cay
The Diamond in the Window (this was the first in a series which I never realized and so never read any of the other ones but this one stuck with me)
The Case of the Vanishing Boy (and other stories by Alexander Key of Witch Mountain fame)

Mel
great list! Of course Judy Blume and especially Anne of Green Gables for any Precocious little girl! Absolute must!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Most of these are good enough to turn one's snicket all lemony:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/author/lemony-snicket_33088
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
In pbook only - All Creatures Great & Small series.

Percy Jackson series.

Tom Sawyer, etc. - Twain books.

Robert Louis Stevenson

Jack London

Agatha Christie

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #15
glowhappy
lost my wits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Most of these are good enough to turn one's snicket all lemony:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/author/lemony-snicket_33088
Its probably just me, but after the 4th book, this series got really boring for me. I like YA but the plot was repetitive and became predictable.

Maybe its just geared towards younger audiences who don't mind the continuity of the series? Or maybe its a part of the theme that ties it altogether? I don't know