9. 7 5.65%
10. Huge success 100% Pass 6 4.84%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2013, 02:12 AM   #16
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysKin View Post
I think you've overstated the difference a bit.
We know that Kobo employees read these forums. Maybe they decided to randomize the top margin to start flame wars ... you know, for entertainment.

More seriously though: maybe it's the book, settings, or device (Glo vs. Aura) because I wasn't overstating the difference. Even at my default settings, I was getting an extra line of text (larger font and margins). Reducing margins, line spacing, and font size to try to figure out the actual edges of the text display area gave a reasonably clear boundary at half of the top bar.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #17
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
We know that Kobo employees read these forums. Maybe they decided to randomize the top margin to start flame wars ... you know, for entertainment.

More seriously though: maybe it's the book, settings, or device (Glo vs. Aura) because I wasn't overstating the difference.
Alrighty, my bet is on device difference then
Aura margins must have been HUGE then o_O
On a glo, the difference was big enough to add a line of text, but mainly because my font is quite small. When I put the two devices (one upgraded and one not upgraded) side-by-side, initially I thought there was no difference, and on a closer inspection there was a ~20% improvement.

Oh well, it's still progress I'm guessing...
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #18
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysKin View Post
Are you saying that currently, with your book, the top bar is drawn on top of some text?
Yes. Smallest font size and smallest margins, and it covers about 2.5 lines. It looks like the area can hold 5 lines of text if used entirely. I get about 1.5 lines of extra text at my normal font size. It looks like the area can hold 3 lines of text if used entirely.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #19
vernel1008
vernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
IMHO, they get a point over neutral for continuing to innovate and provide updates while apparently not having broken anything new this time around. The new home screen could still benefit from some intelligent redesign, but it's not impossible to improve, and opens the doorway for a more user configured home screen. A bit ambitious concerning the core features that still need to be addressed, but nice fluff all the same.

This same update with underlying core fixes would have gotten them a nine or ten.

Now could we get back to fixing the underlying core problems?

I agree with technisol, they are pretty much fixing the UI stuffs while not giving a hint if the firmware finally fixes the core problems. But they are on the right track providing updates frequently although not all devices are being pushed with these updates (such as mine).

Last edited by vernel1008; 06-10-2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: error
vernel1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #20
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
On the Glo with 2.6.1, at least with my current book and settings, the line below the top menu bar now touches or slightly overlaps the ascenders on the 1st line of epub text. The text also renders one line closer to the bottom menu area than it did in 2.5.2. There is still white space below, and I wish they'd divide it evenly and allow a bit more space above the text, if they're going to have space with which to deal. Balance.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #21
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
This poll is had for me to answer because it greatly depends on your starting point.

When you upgrade from a GLO: I would give it a 6-7 - I really like the new start page, but you lose the option to turn the bottom line black to hide shadows, not a big problem for me but some use it.

Starting from AURA 2.5.1: I would say a 3-5: Because you would lose a bit screen estate cause of the new fixed top-margin, on the other hand pdf refresh is apparently fixed.

Starting from AURA 2.5.2 or if you regularly read pdfs: I would say a 6-7: As it removes the title from epubs.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
We need more verbal options.

Myself I would chose haven't a clue I installed it on my mini but cannot say whether it is better or worse, but I don't know what number to check.

Helen.
Hey Helen I was using a sliding scale... where the closer to 1 would be a little more leaning toward a fail. And closer to 10 would little more leaning toward a pass. I did it that way because I thought it might allow posters to vote more honestly and not be influenced by wording that might be confusing or in accurate.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #23
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
This poll is had for me to answer because it greatly depends on your starting point.

When you upgrade from a GLO: I would give it a 6-7 - I really like the new start page, but you lose the option to turn the bottom line black to hide shadows, not a big problem for me but some use it.

Starting from AURA 2.5.1: I would say a 3-5: Because you would lose a bit screen estate cause of the new fixed top-margin, on the other hand pdf refresh is apparently fixed.

Starting from AURA 2.5.2 or if you regularly read pdfs: I would say a 6-7: As it removes the title from epubs.
A very valid point. And thank you for clarifying your thoughts about your ratings, which is nice to have btw.

regards

Jack
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If I voted today, I would give it a fail. I want to update due to the header.

I tried to update via wifi, nothing happened... Actually, it appeared to get stuck on "Syncing Reading life". So I turn wifi off/on. Then I get stuck on connecting. Then I go to wifi, and click on a my previously connected conenction, and it asks for my password (again). So I gave up with wifi.

I plugged in my Glo (to update thru the desktop), and I got 2.5.2 (I was on 2.5.1). And then my side-loaded fonts disappeared, then they re-appeared.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If I voted today, I would give it a fail. I want to update due to the header.

I tried to update via wifi, nothing happened... Actually, it appeared to get stuck on "Syncing Reading life". So I turn wifi off/on. Then I get stuck on connecting. Then I go to wifi, and click on a my previously connected conenction, and it asks for my password (again). So I gave up with wifi.

I plugged in my Glo (to update thru the desktop), and I got 2.5.2 (I was on 2.5.1). And then my side-loaded fonts disappeared, then they re-appeared.
You have to remember that Kobo does the updates on a rolling basis so it may take 4 or more weeks for the update to show for a device. Hence the popularity of sideloading updates where you can get the update as soon as someone captures the URL for the download.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You have to remember that Kobo does the updates on a rolling basis so it may take 4 or more weeks for the update to show for a device. Hence the popularity of sideloading updates where you can get the update as soon as someone captures the URL for the download.

Regards,
David
That's is the problem. How often should I check, once an hour, once a day, once a month? If it doesn't update, is it a bug or do I need to wait just a little longer?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That's is the problem. How often should I check, once an hour, once a day, once a month? If it doesn't update, is it a bug or do I need to wait just a little longer?
Patience, grasshopper, patience...

And if that doesn't work for you, you can check https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660 for direct links to the firmware and installation instructions.

At one time, my Touch did not update until a month after the new firmware was announced so about 4.5 weeks for the 2.1.4 / 2.1.5 firmware. I think that was the last time I actually waited and didn't sideload as soon as the new URLs were discovered.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #28
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Patience, grasshopper, patience...

And if that doesn't work for you, you can check https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660 for direct links to the firmware and installation instructions.

At one time, my Touch did not update until a month after the new firmware was announced so about 4.5 weeks for the 2.1.4 / 2.1.5 firmware. I think that was the last time I actually waited and didn't sideload as soon as the new URLs were discovered.

Regards,
David
Actually if you think about it the best way to roll out the updates would be to basically post a download link publicly for all to use if they so choose.

regards

Jack
Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #29
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
And expose them to the additional hassle of supporting sideloaded upgrades? I honestly can't see that happening.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@ottdmk: I completely agree with that. The only real change I want to see in the firmware upgrade process is a prompt to ask if I want to download and install now.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote