Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylau0 View Post
Is it possible to provide the profile according to the Kindle firmware version?
That is way too much complexity. I am not going to ask calibre users to select profiles based on firmware revision.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #17
olliebean
olliebean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickredding View Post
Note that if you select "Articles List" from the "Sections & Articles" view you get the linear list of articles as was available prior to 3.1, and the BACK button works properly if you select an article from this list and the press BACK.
Note however that if you turn off the Kindle (or leave it to turn itself off) whilst viewing the Articles List, when you turn it back on it will return to the start of the section rather than to your previous position in the list.
olliebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #18
olliebean
olliebean began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylau0 View Post
The "article view", I think, is not that intuitive to the users. Kindle users expect everything can be done perfectly with the "Sections & Articles" view. Also, we are limited to 3 article titles per each page in the article view. This does not give a better overview on what is inside the section than displaying the titles as indented text in TOC.
I prefer the Articles List to a TOC, for the brief summary of the article that it gives - the headlines alone are not always enough to tell what it's about.
olliebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #19
jdomingos76
Enthusiast
jdomingos76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and 3 Int
I feel people involved in Calibre development are underestimating this issue. This is a major issue for those who use recipes and have a Kindle 3.
jdomingos76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #20
tylau0
Connoisseur
tylau0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
A tutorial on using Kindlegen is available at http://powershell.cz/2011/01/07/how-...ith-kindlegen/

The following two sites may give you some idea on how to generate periodical using Amazon's Kindlegen.

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...t=68650&page=2
https://bitbucket.org/jiedan/kindler...ndlegen-wq8848 (Thanks jiedan again for the answer)

Below are a few points I conclude from those sites, though I have yet the time to try them out.

1) In the .odf file, add the following <x-metadata> node under the <metadata> node

<x-metadata><output encoding="utf-8" content-type="application/x-mobipocket-subscription-magazine"></output></x-metadata>

2) In the .ncx file, make sure the navigation structure is periodical -> section -> article instead of chapter -> article structure as for a typical ebook.

The following should contain a complete example on the .odf and .ncx files needed to generate a periodical with KindleGen.
https://bitbucket.org/jiedan/kindler...indlereader.py

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickredding View Post
I'm working on this. However, after several days of effort I must say this is an extremely difficult problem. I suspect Amazon is formatting periodicals in a way that is not MOBI-compliant, that is they have introduced a wrinkle that the Kindle depends on for the "Sections & Articles" view and the BACK button to work correctly, but that is not necessary for a fully MOBI-compliant reader to work properly.

Note to Kovid: I emailed Marco about how he does his Kindle formatting for Instapaper, and he wouldn't tell me, claiming he didn't want to "irritate Amazon." If he is using kindlegen, I'd be interested in how he is getting it to generate periodical fomats--I haven't been able to figure out how to make it do that. Any clues?
tylau0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #21
JustinD
JustinD began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini, iPhone, Kindle
any update? Just curious as this issue is a big one.
JustinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #22
phiznlil
phiznlil began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
For me too
phiznlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, no updates.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #24
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
I have been working on this, but it is a very difficult problem--I've been down several long paths hoping to find a solution, but no luck yet. I will stay on this, and let you know if I have to give up. I'm not ready to admit defeat yet.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #25
jalso
jalso began at the beginning.

its this bug still actual? i had generated a periodical mobi file for kindle in wich the back button works fine, remembers the last position, and the problem with blank "articles list" is also solved (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...68&postcount=6).

I generated my mobi file with kindlegen, but if it can help i can someone send the source files (html,ncx,opf).

Sorry for my bad english.

jalso

Last edited by jalso; 07-06-2011 at 02:41 AM.
jalso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #26
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalso View Post
its this bug still actual? i had generated a periodical mobi file for kindle in wich the back button works fine, remembers the last position, and the problem with blank "articles list" is also solved (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...68&postcount=6).

I generated my mobi file with kindlegen, but if it can help i can someone send the source files (html,ncx,opf).

Sorry for my bad english.

jalso
I still have this problem with multiple recipes.
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #27
tylau0
Connoisseur

There is no problem at all if one uses Kindlegen to produce a periodical. The problem is how to produce a periodical without problem using calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapt0 View Post
I still have this problem with multiple recipes.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #28
tylau0
Connoisseur

Just to let those interested in this topic that nickredding and I have worked out some solutions to this problem. Check here for details.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #29
barnt
barnt began at the beginning.

I would like to help to solve this problem, but I need some advice. I have extracted the html code from 2 mobi files posted in https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/748741. One from calibre and the other from kindlegen. I can see the differences between the two mobi files. Changing the html format can solve this problem? or it's more complicated?. What source files of Calibre can I change to test with diferent mobi formats.
Sorry for my english
barnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/748741

Tags
kindle, periodical