Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
killjoy
Enthusiast
killjoy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle Music

I know kindle only plays music in the order that it is loaded on, but...

I seem to remember reading somewhere that music files can be loaded on as though they were books and then 'read' so they can be selected as required. Does anyone know if this is true ?
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Maybe it you load them into the audible book subfolder???? But then they don't play as BACKGROUND they replace the visual presentation of another book, I believe.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Maybe it you load them into the audible book subfolder???? But then they don't play as BACKGROUND they replace the visual presentation of another book, I believe.
Correct. When MP3 files are placed in the "\audible" folder they appear on the Home page as books, each file listed separately.

When "opened" you are presented with some basic player controls and the Kindle will remember where you leave off if you stop the play and return to the Home page (autobookmark) just as it does with regular ebooks.

Files in the "\audible" directory can't be used as background music when reading ebooks.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
killjoy
Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Last edited by killjoy; 05-30-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 05-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
In fact the method listed by dwig above makes the Kindle a brilliant way to listen to downloaded podcasts. The basic controls you get when playing something in the Audible folder are more than adequate, and there's enough volume from the stereo speakers that two people can easily enjoy a podcast together in most environments.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
killjoy
Enthusiast

Well I tried it and nothing happened, then I realised I had to convert the WMA files into MP3 and it was fine.

What I need to do now is find some software to stitch tracks together so that I can have one file per CD rather than 1 file per track.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
In fact the method listed by dwig above makes the Kindle a brilliant way to listen to downloaded podcasts. The basic controls you get when playing something in the Audible folder are more than adequate, and there's enough volume from the stereo speakers that two people can easily enjoy a podcast together in most environments.
I listen to a select few podcasts in this fashion. It's very handy.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
killjoy
Enthusiast

I've downloaded audacity to stitch the tracks together so that a whole CD will appear as a single file but I cannot see a quick way of selecting a group of files and concatenating them; any suggestions ?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:03 AM   #9
peegee
Enthusiast
peegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
I've downloaded audacity to stitch the tracks together so that a whole CD will appear as a single file but I cannot see a quick way of selecting a group of files and concatenating them; any suggestions ?
Try Mp3Wrap, it's free and it works!
http://mp3wrap.sourceforge.net/
peegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
killjoy
Enthusiast

Thanks, I have done it now,I was slowed down by having to convert them from WMA to MP3 first.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Jane Thomas
Jane Thomas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Please could someone tell me how to skip back a track - in other words, so that I can return to the beginning of an audio book? I know it's ALT F to skip one track ahead but I can't find out how to go backwards!!
Jane Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
It seems like there should be a way to the previous track but I tried Alt-b and alt-p and then every other Alt-letter and none went back a track. I know there's a "guide" on shortcuts but I don't have a link at the moment.

edited to add not much:

Here's what I've found in some notes "You don't even need to go to the menu, you just hit Alt-Space and it will start playing the first mp3 in the Kindles \music folder. And Alt-F skips to the next track.

It's quite barebones, you can no real control except pausing (Alt-Space again) and skipping forward, but it works. It also uses up the battery a lot more."

Last edited by FF2; 06-15-2011 at 06:44 PM.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegee View Post
Try Mp3Wrap, it's free and it works!
http://mp3wrap.sourceforge.net/
I've been looking for a way to create mp3 files with 'chapters' that enable navigation within a large file (like audible aa files have). Does mp3wrap do this? and does Kindle's mp3 player support this?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Jane Thomas
Jane Thomas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks FF2, I appreciate it.
Jane Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote