Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your level of fitness?
I work out almost eveyrday and consider myself "in-shape." 15 18.07%
I work out a few times a week. 28 33.73%
I don't work out but feel pretty "in-shape" 10 12.05%
Working out? Surely you jest. 30 36.14%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #46
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
It's the only weight training I've ever enjoyed. I started with a lower weight because I didn't know how it would affect my arthritis (I'm a card-carrying old guy). I want to work up to a pood (12 KG or about 36 pounds) when I can afford another kettle bell.
I have been using resistance bands in place of weights. I was going to the gym, but it's so much more of a hassle than just setting up in my house. I have a few dumbbells but rarely touch them since getting the bands. They've gotten much better than years ago. I use Bodylastics which seem very well made and make bands so resistant that they'll get a guy in shape.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #47
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I have been using resistance bands in place of weights. I was going to the gym, but it's so much more of a hassle than just setting up in my house. I have a few dumbbells but rarely touch them since getting the bands. They've gotten much better than years ago. I use Bodylastics which seem very well made and make bands so resistant that they'll get a guy in shape.
I'd advise reistance bands that are made of tubing. My partner used to use the flat strips of rubber. One snapped and hit her in the eye. It was NOT pretty.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #48
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I recently saw part of a zumba class. that looked like some movements I might be able to handle or adapt to with my injury
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #49
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I recently saw part of a zumba class. that looked like some movements I might be able to handle or adapt to with my injury
Some of my paralegals are VERY into Zumba. I have no idea how it would work with a femur/knee injury, though many of them refer to it as dance, so you never know.

I understand your frustration though. I've had major surgeries on both knees and it took ages for me to feel like I could do the things I was used to doing to stay fit.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #50
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'd advise reistance bands that are made of tubing. My partner used to use the flat strips of rubber. One snapped and hit her in the eye. It was NOT pretty.
I'd agree. The Bodylastics are tubing and well made. The yoga body bands look like that would smack you in the face. The same goes for cheap tube body bands. It needs to feel solid for me to be comfortable.
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #51
SnowDotCom
Banned
SnowDotCom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Crossfit is a great workout. Possibly one of the best out there. Rest of post moved to spam box. - Alex/mod

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 02-08-2011 at 03:32 AM.
SnowDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #52
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I go to a class called Body Balance. When i started I was worried about my knees, but they cope quite well and I am getting stronger. the instructor adapts certain parts for participants with injuries or pregnancy. It is strength based rather than high impact!

Have you heard of it?
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #53
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDotCom View Post
Crossfit is a great workout. Possibly one of the best out there.
awesome! i am an injured ski instructor sitting it out for awhile. I grew up at A-Basin, Copper and Keystone! welcome to the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I go to a class called Body Balance. When i started I was worried about my knees, but they cope quite well and I am getting stronger. the instructor adapts certain parts for participants with injuries or pregnancy. It is strength based rather than high impact!

Have you heard of it?
nope! but will check it out. the bitch of this whole thing is, the left knee is still super awesome. I can bend, flex, etc. even still get it behind my head, the right is a wreck

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 02-08-2011 at 03:33 AM. Reason: edited SnowDotCom quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #54
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
awesome! i am an injured ski instructor sitting it out for awhile. I grew up at A-Basin, Copper and Keystone! welcome to the forums!
I don't think that's a real person. One post, SnowDotCom, no device.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #55
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I don't think that's a real person. One post, SnowDotCom, no device.
oh I get kind of puppy like over snow things

I might go cry now
Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 AM   #56
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I worked in a nursing home for quite a few years... It was quite spread out with a north, south, east and west wings... Everyone had single rooms with showers, plus linen cupboards conveniently places for staff... all in longs corridors.

I thought we were walking a lot, so I bought a pedometer, set it to my stride, and found out we each walked 10km per day.

On my days off I walked for at least 45 minutes, and ending up with an injury to my calf muscle.. That took more than a year to heal, and anything strenuous these days, I can still feel it.

These days, the most exercise I get is pulling to lever on my chair and getting back up...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #57
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
oh I get kind of puppy like over snow things

I might go cry now
I was wary at the crossfit part. One of my paralegals sells Crossfit like it was Amway. The workout may be good, but the marketing practices leave a foul taste for me.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #58
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Have you heard of it?
It is one of the classes my wife takes once a week.
She says it is a mixture of tai chi, yoga, relaxing, etc.
My guess is that it depends on the trainer what you actually do.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #59
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
It is one of the classes my wife takes once a week.
She says it is a mixture of tai chi, yoga, relaxing, etc.
My guess is that it depends on the trainer what you actually do.
I do a balance class once a week and work out on two other days. The balance class is harder I think, uses a lot more different muscles. Both my knees are dodgy but have improved since I started the classes.

Anne
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #60
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Pookeysgirl I will be happy to give you 20 pounds, if you wanted 20 kilos I think I could just handle that

Working at a desk all day takes a lot of work to keep in shape, maybe not work, but motivation.

I broke right my shoulder, right wrist, 8 ribs, collapsed lung and a minor fractured skull 10 years ago in a stupid motorcycle accident (woman hit me on the rear right side, and didn't even stop, would have been dead if I wasn't wearing a helmet and gear). I was in great shape for a 36 year old guy when I had the accident and recovered well, I was back in the pool swimming within 6 weeks and back wall climbing in 8 weeks, my regular routine in the winters. Now 10 years on, I am starting to feel it, my shoulder is showing the earlier abuses and I have a bad back. I tried going to the gym but find it very boring, I try to walk more and swim everyday.

Exercise notwithstanding we all get older.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote