Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #16
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Guess I'll hold off on my letter to Bezos requesting custom screensaver support.
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #17
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Great news! Weird it took this long to find it, lol. Anyways, as I said before, I REALLY want a copy of Kindle 3's root fs.

If you have a Kindle 3 and would like to help a fellow member, type this in:
Quote:
~exec dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/rootfsbackup.bin bs=1024
Then plug your kindle into the PC and send me rootfsbackup.bin. If the file is too big (it should be ~256MB), just upload it to my public folder (please): https://public.me.com/yifanlu (Password: yifanlu)

I want to start Kindle 3 hacking before I get a Kindle 3 (don't have the money right now).

Thank you SO MUCH!

Last edited by yifanlu; 09-07-2010 at 06:31 PM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
If you have a Kindle 3 and would like to help a fellow member, type this in:
<...>
Then plug your kindle into the PC and send me root.tar.gz.
This dump would give you more than just rootfs, itwould give you all the private user info as well. Not a good idea to spread those around. The security certificates are kept in /var. You may want to ask people for a copy of the /dev/mmcblk0p1:
Code:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/rootfsbackup.bin bs=1024
It is going to end up being a rather huge file though. Won't pass through any email systems.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #19
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
What I need to activate that commands started by "~" ?

I think the others usbNetwork hacks are more easier and effective,
Can you make an update package like them ?
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
This dump would give you more than just rootfs, itwould give you all the private user info as well. Not a good idea to spread those around. The security certificates are kept in /var. You may want to ask people for a copy of the /dev/mmcblk0p1:
Code:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/rootfsbackup.bin bs=1024
It is going to end up being a rather huge file though. Won't pass through any email systems.
Oops, didn't think about certs, just books in /mnt/us. Changing my post.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #21
filerand
filerand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged_uk View Post
I can't get my UK K3 to go into usb network, always comes up as disc mode
Probably missed something silly or UK K3 are different?
G
I'm in the US, and I'm having the same trouble. I reboot the kindle via Settings->Menu->Reboot, type ;debugOn, confirm that's working with ~help, and then type ~usbNetwork, and plug it in, and I get disk mode. I'm using MacOS -- I wouldn't expect this would affect things (as I don't see a USB ethernet device listed in System Profiler) and the Kindle 2 USB Ethernet seemed to work fine on Macs. I will give it a try on Windows or Linux though.
filerand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #22
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
I also can't get my desktop (windows 7) to recognise the usbnetwork mode, I've done the mobile device center install.

So I decided I'd try to just run up nk and use it over wifi, however I can't get nk to run either, or at least after the ~exec command my kindle stays responsive and telnet doesn't work.

Is there one of those linux ownership type things to make nk executable that I need to do, like a chmod or whatever (I'm a linux bluffer so can do stuff but never remember the commands)

SM
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #23
ecostin
Enthusiast
ecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role model

Device: PRS-500-505-700, Kindle3, KT, KPW, KPW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
I also can't get my desktop (windows 7) to recognise the usbnetwork mode, I've done the mobile device center install.

So I decided I'd try to just run up nk and use it over wifi, however I can't get nk to run either, or at least after the ~exec command my kindle stays responsive and telnet doesn't work.

Is there one of those linux ownership type things to make nk executable that I need to do, like a chmod or whatever (I'm a linux bluffer so can do stuff but never remember the commands)

SM
Before launching nk, run "~exec iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT", then it will also work via wifi. Your K3 firewall is blocking incoming connections.
ecostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #24
Dibblah
Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Dibblah is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3
I can confirm that ~exec does not appear to work on a UK Kindle 3G. Everything else appears to work OK, but not exec.

Cheers,

Allan.
Dibblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #25
Ged_uk
Enthusiast
Ged_uk began at the beginning.

Device: K3-3G, HTC HD2
Perhaps there are different software version out there?
I'm having no luck getting it working on mine, ;debugOn & ~help work fine but no response for ~usbNetwork or trying ~exec nk

I have a UK Kindle 3 3G serial beginning B00A System software ver: 094-shashta-051546.

G
Ged_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #26
ecostin
Enthusiast
ecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibblah View Post
I can confirm that ~exec does not appear to work on a UK Kindle 3G. Everything else appears to work OK, but not exec.

Cheers,

Allan.
Try somening simple, like "~exec ls", this should indicate if it works or not.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #27
Ged_uk
Enthusiast
Ged_uk began at the beginning.

Device: K3-3G, HTC HD2
~exec ls does nothing on mine.
G
Ged_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #28
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, I think you are just lucky somehow that you got one of the early test Kindles, which for some reason have the test mode scripts enabled. I have tested with a U.S. WiFi K3, and the ~usbNetwork appears to produce absolutely no result, nor does the ~exec command. The Kindle accepts these commands and nothing happens. So, unless you know how to enable the test mode on the Kindle, your method of initiating a connect probably doesn't work for the regular case.

Maybe some important piece is missing from ecostin's instructions, but thus far I wonder if anyone can confirm a working ~exec command?
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #29
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
I'm guessing this is my primary issue. Out of interest what should I get from an ~exec ls, should I get a popup or something showing the results? If so mine is definitely not working.

I've played around extensively and due to lack of kindle experience assumed that ~exec calls were blind, but none of them have been giving me much joy.

Hopefully there's some magic step that the original instructions missed. Of course, even if that's the case, I'm sure Amazon will shut it down in their next firmware build.

Oh, also, mines a UK K3 Wifi from the second set of deliveries. serial B008A... software 515460094.

Last edited by spacemonkey; 09-08-2010 at 07:23 AM.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #30
ecostin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
I'm guessing this is my primary issue. Out of interest what should I get from an ~exec ls, should I get a popup or something showing the results? If so mine is definitely not working.

I've played around extensively and due to lack of kindle experience assumed that ~exec calls were blind, but none of them have been giving me much joy.

Hopefully there's some magic step that the original instructions missed. Of course, even if that's the case, I'm sure Amazon will shut it down in their next firmware build.

Oh, also, mines a UK K3 Wifi from the second set of deliveries. serial B008A... software 515460094.
My K3 is an international version, s/n B006A.., sw 515460094
On the above device, after ";debugOn", entering "~exec ls" shows a pop-up, with the root / listing, smth like:

Command = ls
==== stdout ====
bin
dev
usr
var
==== stderr ====
Exit code = 0

~exec uname -a

Linux kindle 2.2.26-rt-lab126 #5 PREEMPT RT Sat Jul 31 01:09:00 PTD 2010 armv6l unknown