Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2022, 10:37 AM   #1
lumbco
lumbco began at the beginning.

Device: none
no margins

I must have received an update as the reader now is behaving differently.

When I increase the font size the whole page enlarges and I start to lose the first and last few characters on a line.

How can I adjust the margins only please?

Brian Lumb
lumbco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:42 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbco View Post
I must have received an update as the reader now is behaving differently.

When I increase the font size the whole page enlarges and I start to lose the first and last few characters on a line.

How can I adjust the margins only please?

Brian Lumb
What is the book this is happening with? What format is it in?

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-14-2022 at 10:46 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What format is the book in? Epub / Kobo epub / pdf?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:23 AM   #4
lumbco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the book this is happening with? What format is it in?
Thanks for the reply Jon, I have now solved the problem.

The Dewey Lambdin book I downloaded from the web is formatted in PDF. A little research made me suspect that this is the problem, I downloaded the Calibre app and used it to convert the book file to EPUB format.

I am now enjoying the book!

Brian Lumb
Old 08-16-2022, 06:34 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

The Dewey Lambdin book I downloaded from the web is formatted in PDF. A little research made me suspect that this is the problem, I downloaded the Calibre app and used it to convert the book file to EPUB format.
Does the bookstore you used only sell his books in PDF format? Maybe take another look and see if there's a properly formatted EPUB you could download from the store instead? PDF to EPUB conversions are rarely very satisfactory.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:21 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I am now enjoying the book!

Brian Lumb
You are enjoying the book with all kinds of errors? Yes, you will have all kinds of errors converting from PDF.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:22 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Does the bookstore you used only sell his books in PDF format? Maybe take another look and see if there's a properly formatted EPUB you could download from the store instead? PDF to EPUB conversions are rarely very satisfactory.
My inkling is that the phrase "downloaded from the web" means not from a store.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My inkling is that the phrase "downloaded from the web" means not from a store.
I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt...
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:05 AM   #9
lumbco

I downloaded the book from ZLibrary which is a free library for ebooks.

I probably made a mistake when downloading as it hasn't happened previously and I have frequently used their library.

The EPUB conversion has worked flawlessly without problems, from the comments in this thread I have been lucky for which I am grateful.

Thank you everyone for responding.

Brian Lumb
Old 08-17-2022, 06:51 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Is that Z-Library, the mirror of Library Genesis but with some additional user uploaded content?
Do they check/moderate the user uploads?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:54 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I downloaded the book from ****** which is a free library for ebooks.

I probably made a mistake when downloading as it hasn't happened previously and I have frequently used their library.
Yes you did make a mistake. You downloaded an eBook from a pirate eBook site and then you came here to ask for help.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:54 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Is that *****, the mirror of Library Genesis but with some additional user uploaded content?
Do they check/moderate the user uploads?
That is a pirate eBook site.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:58 AM   #13
lumbco

I don't think ZLibrary is an illegal site, the home page claims that it started up in 2009 and is part of the books4you organisation. The link is Redacted..

The site appears to be well established and includes moderators, how would one detect that it is an illegal site?

Brian Lumb

Last edited by issybird; 08-18-2022 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:22 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The site appears to be well established and includes moderators, how would one detect that it is an illegal site?
If it gives copyright books for free that are not currently free anywhere else.

I've no idea as I didn't sign up.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:31 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If it gives copyright books for free that are not currently free anywhere else.
And offers them in PDF
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote