Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-27-2022, 10:13 PM   #1
pookiebr
Connoisseur
pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Readers with expandable drives

I’m not sure which forum this question would fit best in so I trust, if this isn’t correct it will be directed there. My B&N nook tablet is finally starting to fail so I recently acquired a Samsung galaxy tab with expandable hard drive. I plan on using it primarily as a reader and loading my ebooks onto the microSD card. My question is can anyone recommend a user friend file/app to go from main to secondary drive to access books for reading? Or would it be easier to load an app like kindle to the microSD card and use that to access the books? I tried a file manager program in the past but it was extremely slow running and took forever to locate the desired book and once located was difficult to open. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
pookiebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:15 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
The only Eink device with removable SD card that I know of is Beelink P78 Pro (Andriod 11, 3/32 GB)
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:00 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The only Eink device with removable SD card that I know of is Beelink P78 Pro (Andriod 11, 3/32 GB)
PocketBook still produces (at least) four models that have SD Card slots. Their Touch Lux 5, InkPad Lite, Basic Lux 3 and Basic 4. (All low to medium priced eReaders in their line up.) There may be a fifth reader with SD Card slot still in production, the InkPad 3 (not the pro version). I think they've probably quit making this one, but it's still available and it's still on their website. Actually, just checked, and both their PocketBook Color and InkPad Color also have SD Card slots.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:18 AM   #4
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
I think by “reader”, OP means an application (program) for the Samsung Galaxy Tab, not a physical e-reader.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:08 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Lithium, Aldiko Classic, KOReader (install apk direct from git, not Playstore), Xodo etc all work with separate SD cards (various ones tested on Android6, 8 & 10) configured as portable storage. Some versions of Android allow formatting a card as "extending internal storage". Then all applications can use it, but it can't be read or written in any other device.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:11 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
I think by “reader”, OP means an application (program) for the Samsung Galaxy Tab, not a physical e-reader.
Sorry.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:22 PM   #7
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Sorry.
All good, I thought so too until re-reading. It’d be a good discussion of its own… I’d suggest the Kobo Libra 2 for the more hands-on tinkerer since you can replace its 32GB SD card with up to 256GB+, and it’s the premier flagship ereader on the market right now, which is great.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:30 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
[Libra 2]and it’s the premier flagship ereader on the market right now, which is great.
Flagship ereader? I suspect that in Kobo's current ereader lineup, the Sage is the flagship.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:12 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
All good, I thought so too until re-reading. It’d be a good discussion of its own… I’d suggest the Kobo Libra 2 for the more hands-on tinkerer since you can replace its 32GB SD card with up to 256GB+
This is not so easy because of the water seal - apart from that it loses the water resistance.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 01:08 PM   #10
pookiebr
Connoisseur
pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thank you! I may not have been clear enough in my original email. Would you load those apps to the main reader or download them onto the sd card? I used ES File (I think?) a couple years ago but it took forever to access the books and open them. That led to my questioning whether a file manager app or a reading app would be more worthwhile.
Also I didnt think the KOBO Libra 2 was available anymore. I looked at one that had expandable HD ability, I believe it was the Libra, but the company said it was a model they were phasing out. I would love to find one with a 256GB card capability!
pookiebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:16 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiebr View Post
Also I didnt think the KOBO Libra 2 was available anymore. I looked at one that had expandable HD ability, I believe it was the Libra, but the company said it was a model they were phasing out. I would love to find one with a 256GB card capability!
I don't know where you got that from. The Libra 2 is one of the current Kobo devices and is probably the one they are selling the most. It doesn't have an external SD card socket and Kobo has not sold an ereader with an external SD card for a few years. The Libra 2 does have an internal SD card which theoretically could be replaced with a larger one. But, the device is waterproofed and there is sealant around the card and slot and that is hard to remove. Whereas for the 6" Kobo Clara HD, the device is easy to open and change the card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote