Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 11-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #16
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Dear Pynch,

It would be a pity to lose your work on James' latest versions. I know this epub is big enough as is, but couldn't you keep a separate epub with the latest versions as you eliminate them from your preferred earlier versions "complete works"?

Thank you again.
Interesting idea, but the old version would be very inconsistent, as not all of the texts are from the New York edition. The new one is still inconsistent, too, but at least it won’t be when it’s finished—whenever that might be.

Let me think about it, perhaps I change my mind.

(You might get your wish with a new Poe edition I’m preparing, though, which will have all authorised versions that were released in his lifetime.)
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #17
GibbinR
Connoisseur
GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad mini 5, Kindle Oasis 3
Dear Pynch
I just happened on your 'Complete Henry James V1.2' whilst browsing around the library, and this reminded me that I noticed an unfortunate discrepancy in the Gutenberg editions of 'The Wings of the Dove', done originally, I believe by Jim Adcock, namely that whilst Volume 1 is from the 1902 edition, Volume 2 is from the 1909 (presumably New York) edition. I really only realised this when I got to Book 6 and started to notice the missing punctuation! From a brief glance, it looks to me as though the version in your 'Complete Works' has the same problem, though I only looked at the first few pages of Book 6.
Should you decide that this is the case, I spent some weeks last year doing my best top transform the PG 1909 Vol 2 into the 1902 original, using a scan of a 1902 Edition published by Scribner from Open Library.
If this is of interest to you, you can find the result in the MR library under my userid.
A word of warning, I also changed the odd US English spelling to British English. The only one I can remember is 'behooved' to 'behoved', but there may have been a (very) few others.
GibbinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #18
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info, I will look into this.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:29 AM   #19
pynch
why in?

Update v.1.3 | 28 Feb 2016.

In commemoration of the 100th anniversary of Henry James’ death, I proofed a bunch of texts:

• ‘Daisy Miller’, ‘Four Meetings’, and ‘An International Episode’ against Daisy Miller: A Study, etc., Macmillan & Co., 1879 (2nd ed.);

• ‘The Madonna Of The Future’, ‘Madame De Mauves’, ‘Eugene Pickering’, ‘Benvolio’, ‘Longstaff’s Marriage’, and ‘The Diary Of A Man Of Fifty’ against The Madonna of the Future, and Other Tales, Macmillan & Co., 1879, 2 vols.;

• ‘Washington Square’, ‘The Pension Beaurepas’, and ‘A Bundle of Letters’ against Washington Square, etc., Macmillan & Co., 1881, 2 vols.;

• ‘The Siege of London’ and ‘The Point of View’ against The Collective Edition Vols. 11 and 12, Macmillan & Co., 1883;

• ‘The Impressions of a Cousin’, ‘Lady Barberina’, and ‘A New England Winter’ against Tales of Three Cities, Macmillan & Co., 1884;

• ‘A Landscape-Painter’, ‘A Day of Days’, ‘Poor Richard’, ‘The Romance of Certain Old Clothes’, ‘A Most Extraordinary Case’, ‘A Light Man’, ‘A Passionate Pilgrim’, ‘Master Eustace’, ‘The Last of the Valerii’, ‘Théodolinde or Rose-Agathe’, ‘The Author of Beltraffio’, ‘Pandora’, ‘Georgina’s Reasons’, and ‘The Path of Duty’ against Stories Revived, Macmillan & Co., 1885, 3 vols.;

• ‘The Aspern Papers’, ‘Louisa Pallant’, and ‘The Modern Warning’ against The Aspern Papers, etc., Macmillan & Co., 1888;

• ‘A London Life’, ‘The Liar’, ‘The Patagonia’, and ‘Mrs. Temperly’ against A London Life, etc., Macmillan & Co., 1889;

• ‘The Lesson of the Master’, ‘The Marriages’, ‘The Pupil’, ‘Brooksmith’, ‘The Solution’, and ‘Sir Edmund Orme’ against The Lesson Of The Master, etc., Macmillan & Co., 1892;

• ‘The Real Thing’, ‘Jersey Villas or Sir Dominick Ferrand’, ‘Nona Vincent’, ‘The Chaperon’, and ‘Greville Fane’ against The Real Thing, etc., Macmillan & Co., 1893;

• ‘The Private Life’, ‘The Wheel of Time’, ‘Lord Beaupré’, ‘The Visits’, ‘Collaboration’, and ‘Owen Wingrave’ against The Private Life, etc., James R. Osgood, McIlvaine & Co., 1893;

• ‘Next Time’, ‘The Figure in the Carpet’, ‘Glasses’, and ‘The Way It Came’ against Embarrassments, William Heinemann, 1897;

• ‘The Turn of the Screw’ and ‘Covering End’ against The Two Magics, William Heinemann, 1898; and

• ‘In the Cage’ against the first book edition, Duckworth & Co., 1898.

Thousands of mistakes and variants were corrected. Please let me know if you find any mistakes in them.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:23 AM   #20
pynch
why in?

Update v.1.4 | 16 Oct 2016.

I have proofed 15 novels against early British and American editions:

Confidence against the Houghton, Osgood and Company edition, Boston 1880;

The Portrait Of A Lady against the Macmillan and Co. edition, London 1881;

The Bostonians against the Macmillan and Co. edition, London and New York 1886;

The Other House against the Macmillan Company edition, New York 1896;

The Spoils Of Poynton against the Houghton, Mifflin and Company edition, Boston and New York 1897;

What Maisie Knew against the Herbert S. Stone & Co. edition, Chicago and New York 1897;

The Awkward Age against the Harper & Brothers Publishers edition, New York and London 1899;

The Sacred Fount against the Charles Scribner’s Sons edition, New York 1901;

The Wings Of The Dove against the Charles Scribner’s Sons edition, New York 1902;

The Ambassadors against the Methuen & Co. edition, London 1903;

The Golden Bowl against the Charles Scribner’s Sons edition, New York 1904;

The Outcry against the Charles Scribner’s Sons edition, New York 1911;

The Whole Family against the Harper & Brothers Publishers edition, New York and London 1908;

The Ivory Tower against the Charles Scribner’s Sons edition, New York 1917; and

The Sense Of The Past against the Charles Scribner’s Sons edition, New York 1917.

Thousands of mistakes and variants were corrected. Please let me know if you still find any mistakes in them.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:55 AM   #21
pynch
why in?

Update v.2.0 | 6 Nov 2016.

Thanks to charming GrannyGrump, who has kindly proofread it for us, I could finally add the last missing book, William Wetmore Story and his Friends, to the collection. Thank you very much, GrannyGrump!
Old 11-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #22
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle PW3
@pynch and @GrannyGrump Thanks a lot, for such a wonderful peace of work.
tempura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #23
litemotif
Enthusiast
litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook; Mini, H2O; Voyage, Oasis 2; Galaxy Note 8
I'm a bit late to the show, but just wanted to thank you for the tremendous work you've done on this collection. (I just hope no one is dissuaded from reading James by the moronic Virginia Woolf quote at the beginning of the post.)
litemotif is offline   Reply With Quote