Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Nook, Kindle 3, Kobo size comparison

Size and weight are very important for me, so I mashed up this size comparison pic from the spec pics on the various web sites. Thought someone else might want to see it, so here it is.

Nook: 12.1 or 11.5 oz
Kindle 3: 8.5 or 8.7 oz
Kobo: 7.8 oz
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
So when are you purchasing a Kobo, the "winner" in your research chart?

But wait - aren't you enjoying a Nook??

Long live Kobo.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
So when are you purchasing a Kobo, the "winner" in your research chart?

But wait - aren't you enjoying a Nook??

Long live Kobo.
I've gone to my local Borders twice and they haven't had a demo model or even one to sell. Don't know if that means they are selling like hotcakes, or they don't care. I suspect they don't care, as the Sony Touch has a cracked display, and the Sony Pocket is usually stuck in some foreign language book.

I am enjoying the Nook, when the stupid thing has enough juice to read. It loses about 20% a day, just in airplane and sleep mode. I'm trying to train myself to charge it every other night, but it hasn't sunk in yet.

Haven't charged the Opus in 2 weeks and it still has 60% - I've read 3 longish books on it.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Nook ... the stupid thing ... loses about 20% a day ...

WHich translates to having to charge every five days. Rated at about 350 total discharge-charge cycles, and your use pattern means your battery should last over four years.

And you're complaining??? (grin)

I have several electronics items that I wish I could just charge every fifth day ...

Long live Kobo.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
I'm trying to train myself to charge it every other night
That's not necessary, unless you read it 12 hours a day.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I've gone to my local Borders twice and they haven't had a demo model or even one to sell. Don't know if that means they are selling like hotcakes, or they don't care. I suspect they don't care, as the Sony Touch has a cracked display, and the Sony Pocket is usually stuck in some foreign language book.

I am enjoying the Nook, when the stupid thing has enough juice to read. It loses about 20% a day, just in airplane and sleep mode. I'm trying to train myself to charge it every other night, but it hasn't sunk in yet.

Haven't charged the Opus in 2 weeks and it still has 60% - I've read 3 longish books on it.
I was on vacation for six days with my nook, read in the hotel every day, and didn't have to charge it. The more that I use it, run it down a little (not all the way), and charge it, the longer it seems to go without charging. I think the battery needs to be conditioned through charging cycles, but I am only basing that on experience, and not science!
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
simplyparticular
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... Nook ... the stupid thing ... loses about 20% a day ...

WHich translates to having to charge every five days. Rated at about 350 total discharge-charge cycles, and your use pattern means your battery should last over four years.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. It loses 20% when I don't even use it. I normally read about 4-5 hours a day, so I get 2 days worth before the Nook battery is down around 20%. So that's why I need to charge every other day.

I've got a teething, refluxing baby who isn't sleeping much and only in my arms, so twice in the last week I read almost nonstop for 7 hours.

On Thursday night, the Nook went from 87% down to 23%. Airplane mode, LCD set to 10 seconds, and I used the touchscreen for the majority of the page turns.

Last night, the Opus went from full to 60% in 7.5 hours.

If the little guy decides to pull a hat trick, I might try the Nook with buttons rather than touchscreen, to see if it is better. I got a new book light at Target yesterday that will fit my naked Nook - it worked well on the Opus last night.

Yeah, I'm a bit tired today. But I'm catching up on a lot of series that have been on my TBR list...

Last edited by simplyparticular; 08-02-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Hmmmm maybe you need a new battery? Mine doesn't drain that fast at all on standby/airplane mode.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Yeah, I'm a bit tired today. But I'm catching up on a lot of series that have been on my TBR list...
Definitely a glass-half full person.
Hope the kid spares you.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
Hmmmm maybe you need a new battery? Mine doesn't drain that fast at all on standby/airplane mode.

that's what I was thinking, if it's not holding a charge and having to charge it up every two days without alot of LCD use then yeah sounds like a bad battery.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
<<I used the touchscreen for the majority of the page turns.>>

Don't the buttons give much better longevity?

Thanks for the size comparison. The Kobo isn't really much smaller, but the lack of a keyboard or touchscreen gives me a great handle in the lower left. I also clip my booklight there.

Last edited by J. Strnad; 08-03-2010 at 09:15 PM.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Well, if it's a bad battery then B&N seems to have some quality control issues because I have to charge mine every other day as well. And I have airplane mode (wifi off) and am experiencing the same issues as OP. Although I love the Nook, I will probably pick up a Kindle3 when it comes out just for the battery life and use the Nook for epubs from the library.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
<<I used the touchscreen for the majority of the page turns.>>

Don't the buttons give much better longevity?

Thanks for the size comparison. The Kobo isn't really much smaller, but the lack of a keyboard or touchscreen gives me a great handle in the lower left. I also clip my booklight there.
the lcd screen is in sleep mode when you are using the page turning swipe.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote