Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #31
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
Actually when I installed the new Reader Library it automatically pined a shortcut to my start menu to Reader Library Launcher.exe. Why would it do that if it is not supposed to work like any other shortcut?
Reader Library Launcher.exe gets placed with the startup programs (at least on my PC it did, run msconfig and you will see it there under the Startup tab) so that it starts up when the PC is booted up, and the shortcut that was placed on my desktop and in my start menu is the reader library.exe file. Not sure why yours is the launcher.exe in your start menu?
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #32
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I'm at a loss as to what further action to suggest. I have the latest version of Reader Library working on my PC using Vista and on my Netbook using XP SP3 and both are working fine. I didn't, however, have to replace a hard drive and restore from an image.

I think that the first thing the Reader Library does is go out and check if there has been a new release. So if it can't get out, it would probably hang. On my XP, I have two program exceptions in my firewall that the installation of Reader Library created. You have probably already checked this, but just in case, here are the exceptions:

C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\Reader Library.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\launcher\Reader Library Launcher.exe
The exceptions are there in my firewall too...I am at a loss as to why this happened and so is Sony. The engineers told me on the phone that a number of people are having the same issue with the program not opening but still showing as running in Task Manager (although my set of circumstances leading up to that issue, i.e. replacement of a hard drive with the program working BEFORE the replacement, seems to be different...). I haven't heard back from them. It is very frustrating.
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
You MUST uninstall the old version MANUALLY AFTER installing the new version. The new installation does NOT uninstall the old version.
Not so. I just had a look on my system for eBook Library and it's not there. The upgrade to Reader Library removed it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #34
leday
Groupie

Well...this tears it. Now my Laptop Reader Library freezes and closes with an error each time I connect my reader to it. I can still download books from the reader store as long as my reader is not connected, so I just downloaded all my previous .LRX purchases as EPUB and switched my entire library over to Calibre, which IMHO is a MUCH nicer (and better looking) program that is compatible with all of my Collections too. I now have TWO PCs that do not work the Sony software and with all of the off and on glitches that it has been doing to my reader (randomly deleting books, or adding duplicate books during sync and other freezes) I have sort of had it. Caibre for me....
Old 12-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #35
cboyd1
cboyd1 began at the beginning.

Device: sony e300
msconfig worked for me

Hello Everyone,

I've been stalking these forums for days trying to get my Library Reader to work. My GF got a Sony E-300 for xmas. I installed the 3.1 version fresh on her WIndows Vista system. I got what many of you guys were getting, nothing appeared, yet the application showed running in my Task Manager processes. I tried everything to no avail until yesterday when I tried the "msconfig" solution. This is what worked for me - good luck.

I uninstalled Library Reader using the standard uninstall method via the windows "Control Panel" (Add/Remove Software for XP users, Programs icon for Vista users)

I then went to Start --> Run --> and entered "msconfig" then click okay.

The msconfig window opened, I went to the 'Startup' tab and disabled everything.

I then clicked okay, saved the changes and restarted the computer

After a restart I re-installed the Library Reader (3.1) and upon installation everything started working perfectly, no problems accessing the device, the store, etc..

Good luck and happy new year folks.

Charlie
cboyd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #36
KeeperOfHeartz
KeeperOfHeartz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I'm having a simliar problem, except I can open my library. I just got a Sony Reader PRS-600 for Christmas. Everything worked fine, even installing the Reader Library, but when I opened it, the problem started. I know it's suppose to show you all these features like your library and the ebook store, but all mine's showing me is File Type and Remain... I have no idea what to do and I've already tried re-installing it.
KeeperOfHeartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #37
leday
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboyd1 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I've been stalking these forums for days trying to get my Library Reader to work. My GF got a Sony E-300 for xmas. I installed the 3.1 version fresh on her WIndows Vista system. I got what many of you guys were getting, nothing appeared, yet the application showed running in my Task Manager processes. I tried everything to no avail until yesterday when I tried the "msconfig" solution. This is what worked for me - good luck.

I uninstalled Library Reader using the standard uninstall method via the windows "Control Panel" (Add/Remove Software for XP users, Programs icon for Vista users)

The msconfig window opened, I went to the 'Startup' tab and disabled everything.

After a restart I re-installed the Library Reader (3.1) and upon installation everything started working perfectly, no problems accessing the device, the store, etc..

Charlie
already tried that....didn't work. Sticking with Calibre...much nicer (and more stable) program IMO.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboyd1 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Charlie
Did you find out what program you had in startup that was causing the problem?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeperOfHeartz View Post
I'm having a simliar problem, except I can open my library. I just got a Sony Reader PRS-600 for Christmas. Everything worked fine, even installing the Reader Library, but when I opened it, the problem started. I know it's suppose to show you all these features like your library and the ebook store, but all mine's showing me is File Type and Remain... I have no idea what to do and I've already tried re-installing it.
Can you get a screen shot and post it here so we can see what it is you see?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #40
kbaley
kbaley began at the beginning.

Device: PSR-600
I was having the same issue where I'd launch Reader Library and it wouldn't launch but it (and the launcher process) would appear in the taskbar. I just started shutting down processes until it came up. In my case, it appears Jungle Disk Monitor blocks it. It's not enough just to close Jungle Disk Monitor though. I had to shut down the process. After that, the Reader Library comes up when I open it.

I'd recommend only shutting down processes you recognize. Like iPodService or iTunesHelper or things like that. Google any that you don't recognize but Windows is usually pretty good at not letting you close anything it needs.

For the record: I'm using Vista 64-bit.
kbaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #41
aldovanucci
aldovanucci began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Reader Library 3.1 fixed.....FINALLY!

Check out my post here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...816#post725816

It got things working for me on 2 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machines.
aldovanucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #42
bumble
bumble began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Hi, new here. Had to regsiter just to be able to join you all in venting some steam over Sony software. I have a new PRS600, use it with vista home ed. Managed to get sorted out initially with adobe digital editions and the reader software. yesterday i bought a new book, no big deal save for price (outrageous), popped it on the reader... then i decided to update the software to version 3.1 as i got a pop up about it. now i can't open the library at all. i've tried all the suggestions above, nothing will work.

I'm now using Calibre.

Struggling a bit with the lingo and everything i have legitimately bought now seems blocked because of DRM. Calibre isn't too clear on it but from this forum i've gathered that even though i won't be able to view the books on my computer using calibre, if ive added them from my digital editions i should be able to transfer them to the reader and read them on that? I bloomin hope so. I'm fed up!!!

Thanks everyone for your advice.
bumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #43
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Calibre does not read DRM ebooks so anything purchased cannot be transferred to your device using Calibre.

If you purchased ePub ebooks then you can just use ADE to transfer to your device.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #44
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Calibre does not read DRM ebooks so anything purchased cannot be transferred to your device using Calibre.
You sure? Calibre doesn't do the getting of the .epub file using the .acsm file, but once you've got the .epub file, it should be able to transfer it without problems. It can't view of convert DRMmed media, but should be able to copy it OK.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #45
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
You may be correct. I always assumed it didn't handle DRM files at all.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote