Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
kalin
kalin began at the beginning.

Device: searching...
Question PDF Annotation + Amazon Books + Library Borrowing + ...

Hello fellow members,

I have been buried under an ever-growing pile of research papers and printed books (nice fat 500 page books) for the past two years. Printing PDF research papers and using the pencil/highlighter is nice, except when you need to find things, fast, and start digging...

So, I am in search of a good tool to structure my madness, that should address the following needs:

- 300 dpi (must for all things small + charts)
- eInk (battery life + eye strain/readability)
- ability to read, highlight + annotate/scribble on PDFs + subsequent search and sharing.
- Pocket app integration (lots of what I catch on mobile I read on bigger screens later)
- App Store (agnostic on Apple vs Android, as long as it works). E.g. I would like a podcast app added. No fancy requirements...
- ability to purchase books (agnostic to store: amazon, kobo, other)
- ability to borrow books from public libraries (agnostic to how)

So far, the closest I have found is the Sony Digital Paper 10'' sold by GoodeReader (rooted, at a hefty markup) but I am concerned over two things: 1) sideloaded Play Store not officially supported by neither Sony nor Google, essentially question of time to be shut down and 2) no connectivity into any ebook store (kobo/amazon/other), plugging USB-cables into a desktop app to drag-n-drop files is like 2005 For a 599.- device, absurd.

The Onyx Monte Christo 4 looks sharp and ahead of the curve but no exposure to any ecosystem/book store.

The Kobo Aura is nice but read mixed reviews on PDF annotation...

Thank you for helping me on this one!!!
kalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:15 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You may not like the answer, but I too have a requirement to read and annotate a great many academic PDFs, and a tablet is a far, far better choice for this task than an eInk device. Efficient PDF processing requires a lot of RAM and a fast CPU; eInk devices generally have no much RAM and slow CPUs (to save power).

Over the years I've reached the conclusion that the ideal device for PDF work is an iPad and the "GoodReader" app.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2018, 05:21 AM   #3
kalin
kalin began at the beginning.

Device: searching...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You may not like the answer, but I too have a requirement to read and annotate a great many academic PDFs, and a tablet is a far, far better choice for this task than an eInk device. Efficient PDF processing requires a lot of RAM and a fast CPU; eInk devices generally have no much RAM and slow CPUs (to save power).

Over the years I've reached the conclusion that the ideal device for PDF work is an iPad and the "GoodReader" app.
Thank you, Harry!

I started this search, trying to keep an open mind. Would I have liked iPad functionality with weeks of battery life? Sure, who wouldn't, but then reality calls...
kalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:27 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The reason I recommend GoodReader in particular is that it has an excellent tabbed user interface and allows you to store your files in a folder structure just as on a PC. The tabbed interface allows you to have multiple documents open simultaneously (or even different parts of the same document) and rapidly flip between them. This is a fundamental requirement for academic use, but one which is overlooked by the majority of reading apps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotate, books, borrow, buy, pdf