Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
psevetson
psevetson began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Quick Tips for New Kindle2 Users (from a new Kindle2 User)

We has it, we has the Kindle 2, precioussss...

It got here yesterday -- some quick notes.

* If you use the USB/power cable to hook up to your Wintel computer, the drive will show three folders, "documents", "Audible", and "music" (on the My Computer/[Kindle Drive]); the MP3 player function is available off the "Experimental" menu, and I don't have it working yet.

* If you put Mobipocket files in the Documents folder, they show up immediately when you disconnect.

* I haven't tried creating subfolders under Documents to see what happens to the menu. Has anyone else tried that? It'd be a nice way to organize, say, Lois McMaster Bujold's books if the folder showed up on the menu.

* The Kindle-side plug of the USB connection is not a standard I'm familiar with; it is smaller than the standard mini-USB plug.

* The thickness of this critter is less than the original Kindle (designate it K1) as I saw someone else reading on the way home last week.

* I haven't tried converting PDF's yet.

* If you want to buy things directly from the Kindle, you have to enable one-click shopping under "your account" in Amazon. Otherwise you get a non-obvious "there is a problem with your credit card" message.

* I bought this as a gift. There is a "Manage your Kindle" option most of the way down the page of "your account" which you can use to deregister your K2, then the gift recipient can turn around and register it under her account, again using "Manage your Kindle".

* Because Baen Webscriptions can be read on the Kindle, we spent $11 on Webscription books last night (re-buying some Vorkosiverse which we have hardcopy for) and expect to spend between $50 and $100 more in the next year. That's IN ADDITION to money we spend at Amazon and elsewhere.

It's REALLY cool.

--Phil, whose wife made him stay up until it was mostly working and had lots of books last night.
psevetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by psevetson View Post
We has it, we has the Kindle 2, precioussss...
Congratulations!

Quote:
* I haven't tried creating subfolders under Documents to see what happens to the menu. Has anyone else tried that? It'd be a nice way to organize, say, Lois McMaster Bujold's books if the folder showed up on the menu.
Although you can create your own (sub-)folders in the Document folder, the Kindle still shows a flat (single-level) display in the main menu. True folder support is something people have been asking for and which was not included in the K2. (Dare I say "yet"?)

Quote:
* The thickness of this critter is less than the original Kindle (designate it K1) as I saw someone else reading on the way home last week.

* The Kindle-side plug of the USB connection is not a standard I'm familiar with; it is smaller than the standard mini-USB plug.
Yes, .36″ is too thin for even mini-USB. The unit uses a micro-USB connector.

Quote:
* Because Baen Webscriptions can be read on the Kindle, we spent $11 on Webscription books last night (re-buying some Vorkosiverse which we have hardcopy for) and expect to spend between $50 and $100 more in the next year. That's IN ADDITION to money we spend at Amazon and elsewhere.
I'm a real fan of Baen's Webscriptions site. Make sure to look through the 117 free books and download any of those you want to read.

Quote:
It's REALLY cool.
Indeed!

Welcome to MobileRead. We're glad to have you here and you're definitely getting off to a wonderful start by posting helpful information from your initial use of the Kindle.

(How long are you going to be able to get by with just one Kindle for the two of you?)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Good tips, good job.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, psevetson.

You've, of course, downloadled some of the beautifully formatted Sci Fi from here?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
First off, welcome to the forums; it's always nice to see fresh blood. I recently received my K2 as well, and I'm been extremely happy with it. I prefer the K2 screen over my K1 screen, and I'll be interested to see how the technology continues to progress.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
psevetson

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, psevetson.

You've, of course, downloadled some of the beautifully formatted Sci Fi from here?
Um... no. Where?
psevetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Check the "E-Books" link in the link bar on top of the forum.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #8
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Here!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...28&genreid=sff
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
psevetson

Got it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Thanks!