Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
delmont
delmont
delmont began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile New wanna be e book reader- what to buy?

Hi all, I'm from oz and am very keen to buy my first e book, I am familar with the sony prps 505 and 700 and prefer the 505 so far, I am worried about being able to download and buy books from stores that won't sell to australians.
Should I look into the only one they offer here in Oz which is the iliad which is so expensive and so are the books to buy or is there a way to access the american e stores that I don't know about?
I am open to other opinions about other brands while making my decision and would love to hear anybodies two cents worth!:
delmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:42 AM   #2
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Hi delmont, and welcome. I suggest you take a look at the below link in our wiki, "Where to Buy eBook Devices", as there's more than just the iLiad available in Australia (although I have to say an iLiad's a very good choice!). If you're in Melb and can visit Mitcham, you can see both versions of iLiad, Cybook, HanLin V3 and iRex DR1000S at DA Direct (PM for my contact details, if you're interested).

I've had the same trouble finding ebooks available for us to buy. You could try www.macmillandigital.com.au or www.dymocks.com.au. There's also www.ebooks.com, which is based in Western Australia, but its a bit time-consuming sorting through their offerings to find ebooks available to us. Many are only available to USA residents, for copyright reasons.

Also see https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

Last edited by cbell; 01-01-2009 at 03:48 AM.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you also considered the Cybook Gen 3 as well? Or even the Hanlin V3? Both are available in Australia (DA Direct for both and the Iliad(s), or the Cybook & Iliads from that well-known bookseller chain whose name starts "Dy..."). The Iliad is offered in both "2nd Edition" and "Book Edition", the latter being slightly cheaper. If all you're after is something to read books on, and if in-book dictionary-lookup appeals to you, I'd highly recommend the Cybook Gen 3 (I don't think the Hanlin V3 does in-book dictionary-lookup...though investigate it some if that feature interests you). If I had my way again, I'd likely be buying the Cybook (though I'm happy with the Iliad).

With all of these Australia-sold devices, you can look at Mobipocket books from stores internationally, where they can often be cheaper. Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard are the two most often mentioned, though there are quite a few others who you can check if they sell books in your required format. I don't recommend the "well-known bookseller chain" I mention above, because, for one, I think they're incompetent pillocks and don't in any way wish to encourage support of them, and secondly my limited experience with them is that they are expensive, but you check out their digital books if you wish (exchange rates have changed since I last looked). I note that DA Direct also sell ebooks - I don't know how competitive they are, as I'm not a big purchaser of ebooks. I have purchased from both Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard, and have had no problems (and pleasant prices, inclusive of deductions via their respective rebate programs).

Which also leads me to the perhaps-obvious, which is the large range of public domain and "Creative Commons" books uploaded to MobileRead itself. If ever you've had an interested in "Classics", or you're just looking for the unexpected nugget of new Creative Commons stuff, you can't go past those ebooks uploaded by MobileRead members (who have almost certainly "tidied things up" in the ebooks, transforming the books, through their passion for it, into some of the best-formatted ebooks you will find anywhere).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

heh, thanks montsnmags. We were both answering at the same time, but you wrote in more detail, as usual, so I posted first.

Unfortunately, DA Direct's offerings of ebooks are not yet e-Ink reader friendly, but that will definitely change soon.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
delmont
delmont

Thanks for your help

Hi, thanks for your replies, I can get down to Mitcham to see different e books - where do I go???
For the record I am a mad book reader and probably will only use an reader for just that though the note taking option is a good idea as I take various classes for different things from time to time, much better than an exercise book!!!
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi delmont and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
cbell
Frenetic

Hi delmont, I sent you a PM. Hope to see you soon!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
delmont
delmont

thanks

Hi , you've been extremely helpful hopefully I will get to see all books mentioned this week before my decision, I like the idea of cybook though I am thinking the 16 shades of grey with the iliad screen will win me over even though the size of the iliad appears at the moment too big, I shall check them all out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Have you also considered the Cybook Gen 3 as well? Or even the Hanlin V3? Both are available in Australia (DA Direct for both and the Iliad(s), or the Cybook & Iliads from that well-known bookseller chain whose name starts "Dy..."). The Iliad is offered in both "2nd Edition" and "Book Edition", the latter being slightly cheaper. If all you're after is something to read books on, and if in-book dictionary-lookup appeals to you, I'd highly recommend the Cybook Gen 3 (I don't think the Hanlin V3 does in-book dictionary-lookup...though investigate it some if that feature interests you). If I had my way again, I'd likely be buying the Cybook (though I'm happy with the Iliad).

With all of these Australia-sold devices, you can look at Mobipocket books from stores internationally, where they can often be cheaper. Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard are the two most often mentioned, though there are quite a few others who you can check if they sell books in your required format. I don't recommend the "well-known bookseller chain" I mention above, because, for one, I think they're incompetent pillocks and don't in any way wish to encourage support of them, and secondly my limited experience with them is that they are expensive, but you check out their digital books if you wish (exchange rates have changed since I last looked). I note that DA Direct also sell ebooks - I don't know how competitive they are, as I'm not a big purchaser of ebooks. I have purchased from both Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard, and have had no problems (and pleasant prices, inclusive of deductions via their respective rebate programs).

Which also leads me to the perhaps-obvious, which is the large range of public domain and "Creative Commons" books uploaded to MobileRead itself. If ever you've had an interested in "Classics", or you're just looking for the unexpected nugget of new Creative Commons stuff, you can't go past those ebooks uploaded by MobileRead members (who have almost certainly "tidied things up" in the ebooks, transforming the books, through their passion for it, into some of the best-formatted ebooks you will find anywhere).

Cheers,
Marc
Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
cbell
Frenetic

Hi delmont, it was lovely to meet you today!

I've received your online order, so I have your email address. I'll contact you shortly.