Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #1
FAMOsa
FAMOsa began at the beginning.

Device: none
captions for photos

Is there a surefire way to make sure that captions stay on the same page as the photo they belong to? I'm creating an e-book with lots of photos. I did one previously and all was well but the captions did not always appear with the photo. I know that one surefire way is to make one image that includes the photo and the caption but that is very labor intensive and there are more than 500 images in this book.

Thank you in advance.
FAMOsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:58 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
This is a generic EPUB 'How To'...question. Moved
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOsa View Post
Is there a surefire way to make sure that captions stay on the same page as the photo they belong to? I'm creating an e-book with lots of photos. I did one previously and all was well but the captions did not always appear with the photo. I know that one surefire way is to make one image that includes the photo and the caption but that is very labor intensive and there are more than 500 images in this book.

Thank you in advance.
You answered your own question about a "surefire way". Other than that there are techniques that are not universally supported...so you have to use the technique that works with the device you are targeting.

Personally I like incorporating it into an SVG wrapper. Others like wrapping it in a <div>.

This has been discussed several times. Try searching on "SVG caption" or "photo caption", or "image caption" to get more info. Here is a thread that will get you started.

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-23-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Probably won't work in your case, which seems image-intensive, but when I need an image in the middle of a chapter, I try to work the caption information into the preceding paragraph.

Otherwise I put each photo in a separate file, with the caption; at best they will appear together; at worst, the caption will follow as a "page" of its own.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Some ideas are in the wiki page Caption

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOsa View Post
Is there a surefire way to make sure that captions stay on the same page as the photo they belong to? <SNIP>

Thank you in advance.
No. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear, but before you go haring off in 20 directions, looking for the magic bullet, the answer is, quite simply, NO.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:18 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
No. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear, but before you go haring off in 20 directions, looking for the magic bullet, the answer is, quite simply, NO.

Hitch
There is one. Put the caption on the picture itself.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is one. Put the caption on the picture itself.

Dale
@Dale:

He actually said that he already knew that, in his post. He was looking for a different way. That's why I said no.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captions, images, photos