Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
crdf
Connoisseur
crdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Page display issue for documents on Android App

I have been having an issue with the latest update for the Kindle app for Android. After a few flips the page will be half out of the display area. The page itself can be adjusted with a touch-and-slide, but it becomes so sensitive it is annoying to have to manually centre each page. Also that bug disables other touch options such as highlight and dictionary. I end up having to restart the app all the time.
Amazon support was not helpful with this.

I know few others have that same issue (I did see a couple of reviews in the google stores), but it does not seem to be addressed. Is anyone aware if this can be resolved somehow? Maybe formatting the document with specific properties on Calibre (when converting) or otherwise?

I've attached a screenshot of what I see.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170119-155518.png
Views:	97
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	154664  

Last edited by crdf; 01-31-2017 at 04:22 PM.
crdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Does the format, Mobi vs KF8/AZW3, make a difference?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdf View Post
I've attached a screenshot of what I see.
Is that the whole screen, with content on the left cut off?

It looks like the footer, which is not part of the book content, is also shifted. I have never seen anything like that from any of the Kindle apps.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
tastyeng
tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to name
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdf View Post
I have been having an issue with the latest update for the Kindle app for Android. After a few flips the page will be half out of the display area.
Been happening to me too for at least two months now. Seems to occur more frequently when I swipe for page turns than when I tap. What fixes it for me (temporarily) is tapping to bring up the menu and going back to the Library and reopening the book. No need to restart the app, at least on my device.

The only contributing factor I can identify is that in my experience it only happens on books with enhanced typesetting.
tastyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
crdf
Connoisseur
crdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animals

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies

@AnemicOak - I tend to sync my reading progress between my Android phone and my OLD kindle touch which I am not sure supports KF8/AZW3 therefor I never used it. I guess I will give it a try and let you guys know.

@jhowell - yes that is the whole screen. The displacement varies and yes the footer as well as the links to the chapters in the drop down menu both disappear. I assume the app simply does not know what it is displaying since it is showing out of page/between pages.

@tastyeng - thanks for that. Since the menu becomes buggy I did not even thing to simply exit to the main menu. It still is annoying as sometimes I have to do that every two-three page flips. I am tried to flip with a touch and not a slide but it is difficult when doing a one hand reading. I still would like to resolve this so if you ever come up with [stumble upon] a solution - please let me know.
I convert files in calibre with default settings, can you advise what I should look into?

Last edited by crdf; 02-02-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added a question
Advert
Old 02-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Another question, you say this is happening on the latest version of Kindle for Android, but what version number is that for you?

Today my android device updated to Kindle for Android version 7.8.0.107. (Before that it had version 7.7.0.123.)

Last edited by jhowell; 02-02-2017 at 04:22 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
crdf
Connoisseur

Actually I thought it was happening with the latest kindle app update.

My Android was 6.0. It's currently in the process of installing 7.0. (the software version is 4.14.401.7)

I will test is afterwards and I will also test a AZW3 file.

EDIT: The AZW3 file was not accepted as it was the wrong format

Last edited by crdf; 02-02-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Another question, you say this is happening on the latest version of Kindle for Android, but what version number is that for you?

Today my android device updated to Kindle for Android version 7.8.0.107. (Before that it had version 7.7.0.123.)
I can report exactly the same on my Fire HDX, reading documents sent to the Kindle email address.

Not that this is surprising since the reader client on the HDX is very similar to the Android App.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #9
crdf
Connoisseur

This is still happening on Android 7, which while better polished and with some nice newly added features is as a whole disaster. If it is not overly complicated I might roll back to 6, that is if I can be bothered.

Otherwise thank you guys for the input, if anyone eventually finds a solution to my kindle app problem, please let me know.