Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #406
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are these publishers leaving Overdrive for Freading?
I don't know. I heard about Freading getting more books from:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=287926

I previously didn't pay much attention to Freading, but if I can search both sites...

B(rooklyn)PL also has a higher level search that will search both Overdrive and 3m.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #407
toddhicks209
Enthusiast
toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a new Overdrive system coming and it is awful. If your library show you an option to try the new system, please do. You can also take a survey about the new system. Please take the survey.

We need to get as many people as possible to tell Overdrive that their new proposed system is awful and just leave things alone.

I just don't get who thinks these changes are any good. We lose the accounts section and searching/sorting has gone to pot. It is much harder to see new content. Filtering is shot to heck. Sorting is shot to heck. And it just works very poorly.

Scroll to the bottom of the main page and at the bottom is where you can get the ink to try the new system if you can. Not every library allows trying the new system.

We need to stand up to these really awful changes.
What I dislike about the system is that if you want to upload your books, you must use an ePub or PDF format instead of having a Word option.
toddhicks209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #408
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhicks209 View Post
What I dislike about the system is that if you want to upload your books, you must use an ePub or PDF format instead of having a Word option.
You don't upload to Overdrive. I think you are confused with a different system.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #409
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Semi related to this thread, since it's about Overdrive...

How the heck do you return a Kindle book when you go to check it out it tells you that you own it?!? You can't ever return checked out books from the Overdrive site and Manage Your... page tells me I own it!

Pretty amazing with all the books I've checked out this is the first time this has ever happened to me.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #410
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post

How the heck do you return a Kindle book when you go to check it out it tells you that you own it?!? You can't ever return checked out books from the Overdrive site and Manage Your... page tells me I own it!

Pretty amazing with all the books I've checked out this is the first time this has ever happened to me.
It will expire on its own. You will probably have to wait till it does.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #411
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It will expire on its own. You will probably have to wait till it does.

Sent from my XT1528
Yeah... at least it was Brooklyn, which allows a lot more checkouts than the Maryland Overdrive site does!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #412
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

You can return them early, but you either need to use Kindle for PC or the Amazon website (I forget which.)
Old 07-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #413
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can return Kindle loans early from Manage Your Content and Devices on the Amazon website.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #414
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You can return Kindle loans early from Manage Your Content and Devices on the Amazon website.
Not if you own it. She checked out a book she already owns. I did this before. You have to wait for it to expire on Overdrive's site.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #415
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yeah... at least it was Brooklyn, which allows a lot more checkouts than the Maryland Overdrive site does!
I hear ya. I checked out an audiobook that wouldn't return last month. I had to wait 21 days. At least Brooklyn is much shorter.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 07-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #416
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

There is the Main FLP site that let's you search their entire catalog (pbooks, DVDs, ebooks, audiobooks, Overdrive, Freading, ... You can do a search, and it checks all of FLP.

Oops. I just did a search, and FReading ebooks were not included in the results. Sorry for the mis-information.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #417
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
How to recommend books for Overdrive libraries that don't support recommendations

Most Overdrive libraries support searching for books to recommend, but a few don't, most notably the Orange County Library System (which allows you to acquire a non-resident library card without visiting in person). But, just because you can't search for books to recommend, that does not mean you cannot recommend books.

Simply search for the book at any Overdrive library that allows recommendations, find the book you want, and click on the link to get to the main book page. It will look something like this:
Code:
https://brooklyn.overdrive.com/media/3033933
Then, copy the number at the end of the URL:
Code:
Go to the library that doesn't support searching for recommendations, and pull up any book page. Paste the number you copied in place of the number in the URL, and you will get the book page with an enabled "Recommend" button.

The advantage to this is that even if the library doesn't want recommendations because they don't pay attention to them, it enables you to get on the hold list early if the library does buy the book. Otherwise, you have to keep checking the library to see if they have bought the book or not, and then jump into the hold list.

EDIT: I found this does not work if the book has no formats listed. In that case, you get a greyed out "Unavailable" button.

Last edited by nabsltd; 08-10-2017 at 11:48 PM.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #418
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Overdrive is now pushing Kindle eBooks. This is a poor design choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #419
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Serious problem with Overdrive to Kindle books. They are not showing up in my K4PC or in My Content and Devices list. Or on my device when I go to ALL to look for it and download. That makes two books today that according to OD I checked out, but are nowhere to be find in my Kindle account.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #420
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Serious problem with Overdrive to Kindle books. They are not showing up in my K4PC or in My Content and Devices list. Or on my device when I go to ALL to look for it and download. That makes two books today that according to OD I checked out, but are nowhere to be find in my Kindle account.
There is chatter on the Kindle forum on Amazon about it. Seems to be a known problem.

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...ot-found-error

And here: https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/k...-library-books
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote