Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #22576
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
All three of my e-readers now have copies of the same books. The problem is... which reader do I bring with me when I leave the house today?!?

Stitchawl

Only the ereader I could bear to part with leaves the house - when I upgraded my Kindle models, I kept the old ones, deregistered them, filled them up with books, and take them with me to doctors' offices, dentists, etc.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #22577
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I'm getting laid off with my last day on June 30 due to cutbacks in higher ed in my state.

I honestly don't see how they can keep accreditation and run a 2 floor library that has 30 computers and services about 2000 students and is open to the public, too, with only 2 employees. Yes, you heard me right. 2. Our part-time clerk is already going and one of the two paras is also going on June 30. Council on Aging has no free (to Nunez) employees and we only get 2-3 student workers a semester and they are part-time. So, it will be the boss, one of the paras, and whatever student workers they can find.

And did I mention this library is open from 7:30 A.M. to 9 P.M. Mon-Thur during Fall and Spring semesters and 7:30 A.M. to 7:30 P.M. during Summer?
That's really lousy. There are so many people losing their jobs here right now, mostly in the public sector, and it's really heart-breaking. I wish you well with whatever you decide to do next.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #22578
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Agreed ... just when the economy (US) is starting to perk up, jobs are being lost .... again ....

Best of luck covingtoncat!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #22579
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
If I remember correctly from my Economics class in one of my post-grad courses, I think it was either John Maynard Keynes or Gilbreth who said something to the effect that improved economy doesn't require less unemployment, it actually requires more. (I didn't do very well in Economics. It was the only course that busted my grade point average by getting a 'B.')

It's just a damn shame when it affects us personally. I hope you're able to use your skills again in an even better position soon.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #22580
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I'm so sorry to read your post, Covingtoncat. The best of luck to you and good wishes coming your way. And you, too, Tom.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #22581
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I'm so sorry to read your post, Covingtoncat. The best of luck to you and good wishes coming your way. And you, too, Tom.
Yes, my best wishes as well; these must be anxious times, for the both of you

Edit: about the MR members with the many ereaders; you could sell a few, to invest in a new model( well, iPad mini), as I'm doing now.

Last edited by desertblues; 05-10-2013 at 02:22 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #22582
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Yes, my best wishes as well; these must be anxious times, for the both of you

Edit: about the MR members with the many ereaders; you could sell a few, to invest in a new model( well, iPad mini), as I'm doing now.

I have an iPad mini, and I love it.

It goes everywhere with me.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:09 AM   #22583
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'm getting laid off with my last day on June 30 due to cutbacks in higher ed in my state.

I honestly don't see how they can keep accreditation and run a 2 floor library that has 30 computers and services about 2000 students and is open to the public, too, with only 2 employees. Yes, you heard me right. 2. Our part-time clerk is already going and one of the two paras is also going on June 30. Council on Aging has no free (to Nunez) employees and we only get 2-3 student workers a semester and they are part-time. So, it will be the boss, one of the paras, and whatever student workers they can find.

And did I mention this library is open from 7:30 A.M. to 9 P.M. Mon-Thur during Fall and Spring semesters and 7:30 A.M. to 7:30 P.M. during Summer?
With those hours how will they be able to maintain a proper quality service?

I am sorry to hear what is happening to you, covingtoncat. I hope you'll find something better right after this one.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #22584
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
covingtoncat, I am so sorry to hear about your job. I remember what I felt like when something like this happened to my job, I wish you the best in finding another job.

I also wonder, like samhy, in how the will be able to maintain the library with those hours and the short staff.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #22585
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Cutbacks suck. The sequester will is scheduled to make a dent in my hours shortly, but at the moment no one seems to know just how bad a hit we'll be taking. At least we'll still have a job, so things aren't as bleak as they are for you.

Hang in there. This, too, shall pass.
Yes, me too. We're scheduled for a 20% cutback beginning next month. that means one day each week furlough. Currently I’m situated with enough disposable income to cover it, but it will mean one day per week with nothing to do and no disposable income to do it with.

Sounds like a perfect time to knock down my to be read list.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #22586
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

I have an iPad mini, and I love it.

It goes everywhere with me.

Cheers.
Yes, like my iPad1,(where I go that goes) but it is getting a bit heavy for carrying around on my journeys (never, ever leave it in an hotel in my suitcase), so I've been thinking of the iPad mini. I could write my journal on it, I think. I will have to try how Pages work on it.

It seems that in autumn there's a new version coming. With the money of the old books I sold, my birthday money and the money from the Kindle3 and Magic Mouse, I have 415 euro and some electronics+ covers to sell as yet. I think I will have enough by that time.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #22587
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Wodin, that is a good way to look at it! I am single with no kids to support, which is a good thing right now and my only debts are my student loans, which are the good, low-interest, subsudized kind, though large. Between my savings and my annual time, I will have 3-4 months.

Also, I rent from my mother and now even live with her, so we share expenses. Mom charges me a low rent but she can carry the note on the house for a few months.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #22588
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGG GGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five by George R.R. Martin is still $14.99 for the ebook while the paperback is $8.99.

Bantam publishing sucks!
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #22589
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Yes, like my iPad1,(where I go that goes) but it is getting a bit heavy for carrying around on my journeys (never, ever leave it in an hotel in my suitcase), so I've been thinking of the iPad mini. I could write my journal on it, I think. I will have to try how Pages work on it.

It seems that in autumn there's a new version coming. With the money of the old books I sold, my birthday money and the money from the Kindle3 and Magic Mouse, I have 415 euro and some electronics+ covers to sell as yet. I think I will have enough by that time.
The weight of the iPad2 was the reason for getting the iPad mini, plus it slips into an outer case in my handbag, which means that I have no reason to open the whole bag up if I am only going to read.

It does everything that the iPad2 does, and you won't feel as weighed down.
Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #22590
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
I'm getting laid off with my last day on June 30 due to cutbacks in higher ed in my state. . . . . . . . .
Sometimes we need a push to move on to better things.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness