Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
RyuujiTakasu
RyuujiTakasu began at the beginning.

Device: PC, Nexus 10
Save the Metadata to the Libary files/change filename to the Metadata

Hello,

This is my first Post, but I'm often visited the Forum before. My Question is how can I make it, that Calibre will change the Filename to that of the Title in the Metadata.

I need this because Calibre changed all my Original Ebook File names (they had the correct names before I added them) when they where added to the libary. I read a lot of Light Novels translated from Baka-Tsuki (if anyone knows the site) and there are a lot of series with multiple Volume's, however Calibre saves the Books in it's Libary to for exemple: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Volum (some random number). Now I have with this series 10 Folder with all the same Name except for the numbers in the brackets. The Ebooks themselves are also saved with all the same Name except for the numbers in the bracket. The Metadata in Calibre itself are Flawless and are all correct just like I want it to.

How can I make Calibre to Save the books with the title as file-name?

I already downloaded the Plugin mentioned in the Link below. However the files won't rename.

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=163742

If this is the wrong section of the Forum I apologize.

Ryuuji
RyuujiTakasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Modify epub will write the current metadata to the metadata fields within the EPUB file, which is not what you want at all.

What you want is to change the actual filenames, as in
Code:
C:\\Users\<username>\Calibre Library\Joe Author\My Book (1)\My Book - Joe Author.epub
calibre will automatically name the file according to the metadata in the library view.

The filename will be according to
Code:
{location of library}\{authors}\{title} {id}\{title} - {authors}.{format}
If the title field in calibre says "Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Volum (some random number)" then that is what will be filled in for {title} and that is how calibre will save it in the library folder. There is no way to tell calibre to arbitrarily change the filename of the book. You must make sure the title and author fields in calibre are exactly what they should be.

calibre does not care what filenames you used to have for the book. It does not use that metatdata unless you go to Preferences ==> Import/Export ==> Adding books, in the tab "The Add Process", and uncheck the option "read metadata from file contents rather than file name".

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-07-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typos
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #3
RyuujiTakasu

I Understand, however I have the Titles corect.

That is in calibre in the libary

This in the Volumes in folders

the E book with the wrong name (is in the other folder as well) should be Book X(10) but is V(5) also 3 other Books are also named V.

The Meta Data in calibre

As you see the title is correct in the Meta Data but not in the file. I don't know what I did wrong there? or are you meaning something different?

right folder but wrong ebook name

Last edited by RyuujiTakasu; 03-18-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:13 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You cannot change the way that Calibre names book it stores into files in its internal file store. Here is a sticky that idssusses this.

The closest you can get to what you want will be if you use the Calibre Save to Disk facility to exprt the eBook files from Calibre. In this case you can set the Save to Disk template under preferences to give you the i older/iename structure you are looking for.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:17 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuujiTakasu View Post
I Understand, however I have the Titles correct.
You can not alter how calibre stores the files in its database. This is not user configurable and the file names will be truncated as required. These copies are for calibre's use.

You could however export your library using the Save to disk feature and save a backup of your library in exactly the format you are trying to get.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Also it might be helpful to know that calibre takes liberties with metadata in paths and filenames in the "internal" library. Authors and title may be truncated and letters substituted to make the filename and path valid.

The assumption behind calibre is that you will normally only use the GUI to access books. Then you may never see the actual filenames. But, as DoctorOhh said above, if you don't like that it is possible to write out a copy of the books with the correct names, customized just as you prefer it, by using the save to disk or send to device templates. Or at least within the limitations of the filesystem and operating system.

Last edited by Adoby; 03-18-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
RyuujiTakasu

Thank you for all the answers.

But why did eschwartz say that calibre saves the files according to the Metadata in the libary? or did he mean something different?

Also why are the first 8 Volumes in the "right" way named (just like I want it)? Granted they are already half a year old and the others are new from like a week or so. Whas there a libary save change in newer Calibre Versions?

Also I already saved the Books to File, delete them in Calibre reimportet them from the previous saved, but they are instantly added and saved under these wierd Name's (Volum as opposed to the older Volume 1,2,3, etc)

Am I right to assume that there is no way to save the Ebooks in a way so that they are named as when I right click and go save to disk?

This is what it looks like when I go to save to disk. And I would like hat calibre also saves them like that in its Library but that is impossible am I right?

I mostly read books on my PC's and usally I just copy the file out of the storage location (which is the libary) thats why I wantet it to Name them in a ordered manner.

Ryuuji

Edit: if "Save to file" is the only way, Is there an Option to save the complete Libary to file and not jut one book after another?

Last edited by RyuujiTakasu; 03-18-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

But why did eschwartz say that calibre saves the files according to the Metadata in the libary? or did he mean something different?

Also why are the first 8 Volumes in the "right" way named (just like I want it)? Granted they are already half a year old and the others are new from like a week or so. Whas there a libary save change in newer Calibre Versions?

Also I already saved the Books to File, delete them in Calibre reimportet them from the previous saved, but they are instantly added and saved under these wierd Name's (Volum as opposed to the older Volume 1,2,3, etc)

Am I right to assume that there is no way to save the Ebooks in a way so that they are named as when I right click and go save to disk?

<snip>

I mostly read books on my PC's and usally I just copy the file out of the storage location (which is the libary) thats why I wantet it to Name them in a ordered manner.

Ryuuji

Edit: if "Save to file" is the only way, Is there an Option to save the complete Libary to file and not jut one book after another?
Save to file works on Selected Books.
Select All books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:

This is what it looks like when I go to save to disk. And I would like hat calibre also saves them like that in its Library but that is impossible am I right?

Ryuuji

If you just read books on your pc instead of mucking about with filenames etc best way would be to download open with plugin
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118761
and set the reader you want to use to read your books now you can open the file you want from inside calibre with your reader.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:33 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
If you just read books on your pc instead of mucking about with filenames etc best way would be to download open with plugin
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118761
and set the reader you want to use to read your books now you can open the file you want from inside calibre with your reader.
Agreed, that is one way of handling it. Of course in this case you don't need the Open With plugin. if your reader is the default app for mobi, pdf or epub then you only have to go to Preferences - Behavior and uncheck using calibre's internal viewer for whichever file type. Then when you select a book to be viewed instead of using calibre's reader it will open up in the default app for the file type.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
RyuujiTakasu

Thanks. I will download the plugin and see if it is what I want. But I think that the plugin will be OK.

Ryuuji