Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
FranTer
FranTer began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 912
Want page to stay "open" when the PocketBook 912 goes off to sleep

I've configured the PocketBook 912 to my liking turning off logos and so, but now it gets blank when off to sleep. I understood that the screen doesn't use more energy displaying an image rather than being blank, so I would like it to display the page that's open, but i see no option for having the book "open" when the 912 goes to sleep. Normal books don't close themselves when they're not being read, so why should the 912?

Someone may object that pocketbooks do just that, close themselves when being left alone, so it's normal that a PocketBook do as pocketbooks, but due to it's size the 912 can't really be considered a pocketbook.
FranTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I'm afraid this is not possible. You can set a picture that is shown when the device goes to sleep and you can set the Pocketbook that it displays the last opened book when you start it again but you don't get anything nearer.

Welcome to MR, FranTer!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Hmm, I vaguely recall some hack related to this that came up many years ago. Something about taking a screenshot on every page and saving it to the image that gets displayed when the device is off. Perhaps I saw it in the Russian forums that PocketBook frequents? I'm not sure how you'd do this automatically in all applications. Maybe it only worked within a hacked version of coolreader, or something? Anyway, I recall that the hack was kludgy and buggy, and you'd only use it if you were truly desperate for that feature.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If the screen stayed the same, how would you know if the device was on or off?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
FranTer
FranTer began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 912
Thank you all for your answers and welcome, no I wouldn't want a complicated solution, but yes I would most of the time know if I loaded the last page for more or less than 10 minutes ago (I changed the optimal 30 minutes to 10 minutes to try). Many of the early digital television boxes were made just like that, impossible to know if off or on. I must also admit that I know the 912 better by manual and forum than by use, so when I had read in the manual that the LED indicator was "solid green - power consumption" I expected it to be so until it went off to sleep, but in fact it stops consuming the amount of power necessary to trigger the green LED a long time before sleeping off.

There's a sticky post about adding something as a sleep image, but without adding anything there are two apps that would be nice as sleep apps.
The clock app which is very nice in full screen but the clock would use power every minute, so I expect the clock app is no good candidate.
The calendar app would at least only have to get updated every 24 hours so power drain would stay low. But I expect the ratio difficulty/usefulness would be too high, so I will do as everybody else and display nice drawings or similar, after all I'm really surprised how good images are displayed on the 912.
FranTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert