Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #31
Altivo
Enthusiast
Altivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Generic Android tablet, Kobo WiFi, Literati, and eBookwise 1150
Yes, and though I managed to recover my wifi to a usable state, I went ahead and bought a cheap Android tablet. Now I can read Amazon, Nook, and Kobo books as well as Google and other sources (Smashwords, Gutenberg, etc.) all on the same device.

I imagine this would defeat the intentions of anyone who deliberately sabotages the older device hoping you'll buy a new one from the same bookseller.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #32
fegenoli
fegenoli began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy320 View Post
Well I managed to get a sd image from another member here and flashed that to the internal sd card. All is good now...
Hi, could you pass me this image? I'm also having problems with my Kobo ereader. Thanks.
Advert
Old 01-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #33
cubaka
cubaka began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
flyboy320
i have almost the same problem with my kobo after i did update with 1.9.11 version. please send me the link of SD image.

cubaka
Old 01-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #34
flyboy320
Groupie
flyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo wifi E-Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubaka View Post
flyboy320
i have almost the same problem with my kobo after i did update with 1.9.11 version. please send me the link of SD image.

cubaka
PM sent.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #35
RyanDomroes
RyanDomroes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi n647
Did you find a fix, Cuz I have same problem.
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #36
flyboy320
Groupie
flyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDomroes View Post
Did you find a fix, Cuz I have same problem.
PM sent
Old 01-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #37
desoto
desoto began at the beginning.

kobo N647B totally dead except for led

Flyboy320, I received a link to an image for my kobo wifi N647B (US), but it didn't work (I used Image Writer which said it was successful, but still have a pretty dead kobo, the result of a forced update a few weeks back The screen is static "Kobo Read On". Only the led lights up anymore).

Can you send me the link you've offered (in case it's different)?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #38
flyboy320
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desoto View Post
Flyboy320, I received a link to an image for my kobo wifi N647B (US), but it didn't work (I used Image Writer which said it was successful, but still have a pretty dead kobo, the result of a forced update a few weeks back The screen is static "Kobo Read On". Only the led lights up anymore).

Can you send me the link you've offered (in case it's different)?
Thanks in advance.
PM sent...
Old 01-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #39
desoto

dead kobo wifi

Flyboy320, thank you for the link. I used Image Writer and it was successful (can read the files directly from the sd card on my Ubuntu box), but the kobo doesn't seem to recognize the internal sd card at all. It behaves the same whether it's in or I take it out: static "Kobo Read On" screen. Only the blue LED tells me it's still alive. This behavior is the same when powered via USB, too. The computer doesn't recognized that it's plugged in either.
Any thoughts?
Thank you again for the image. Is there a way to use it to boot from the external SD slot?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:42 PM   #40
Tekbro
Tekbro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobowifi N647
Kobo N647 non-functional after wireless update to 1.9.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy320 View Post
PM sent.
Hello, this is definitely an epidemic. After updating to 1.9.11 firmware my Kobo Wifi was acting a bit odd. I was able to read one book then one day it restarted with the message Updating your reader's software. It no longer boots and I could really use a link to a working SD card image as well.

Thank you.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #41
desoto

update bricked Kobo Wifi model

Since posting my problem and not having any luck with the downloads offered, I emailed Kobo. They responded within 24 hrs and offered the steps to do an external factory reset. It did not work for me, but I will post the steps here when I get a chance (soon) in case it helps someone. Kobo is very aware of the situation. I encourage you to contact them, too.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #42
desoto

External factory reset of Kobo Wifi

Here are the steps Kobo sent for an "external factory reset". Warning that it will delete everything, although your Kobo purchased books should still be available to re-download from your Kobo account.

External Factory Reset of Kobo Wifi: DEVICE MUST BE CHARGED FOR A FULL 4 HOURS BEFORE RESET(Read instructions first, before you start doing any form of action)
--------------------------------------------------------
1.Press and hold on the Power Putton
2.While Holding on the Power Button press and hold on the Menu Button.
3.Release the Power Button after 15 seconds.
4.Release the Menu Button 10 seconds after release the Power button.
eReader should be back to Default Setting.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #43
desoto

update to bricked kobo wifi

My bricked kobo wifi was unable to be resuscitated. I contacted Kobo, despite the negative reviews of Kobo customer care, and they responded within 24 hrs with steps to rectify the problem. In my case, those steps did not work.
My Kobo wifi is almost two years old and thus out of warranty. However, Kobo is owning up to the problem and doing what it can to make things right. They are sending me a re-furbished unit. This is way more than I expected.
So, please try contacting them. They may have been unresponsive in the past, but figuring out that there is a problem, what it is, who is affected, how many are affected, and then working out a solution takes time in any company. I applaud them for doing the right thing.
(and no, I don't work for Kobo).
Best of luck to you all.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #44
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Wow, you've got to give Kobo the nod for sending a replacement for a two year old unit, even if the firmware had something to do with the problem. It's the right thing to do, but how many companies do the right thing after two years, let alone even provide firmware upgrades that far out?

Is it just me or has Kobo been making steps to be more responsive to customer issues in the last couple months?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #45
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Is it just me or has Kobo been making steps to be more responsive to customer issues in the last couple months?
I recall saying the same thing recently. And I've been the first to criticise their service in the past.
Closed Thread