Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Device: M92
scribbling application

The first public beta version of my scribbling application is now available (see attachment). Please try it and report any bugs or enhancements (you can also use https://github.com/peter-x/scribble/issues for that).

Up to now the application is very simple: You can choose between pen and eraser and flip through the pages, automatically creating a new page after the last one. The file "scribble.xoj" from the internal storage is loaded automatically. Every 5 seconds, the application saves all changes to the file (there is no undo, just as in a real notebook!). The file format is compatible with xournal, though highlighters and text annotations are not yet supported (they will be deleted on the first save).

Enjoy!

Changelog:
  • 2012-03-04:
    • should load and save .xoj files that do not contain highlights and text without destroying anything (but please make backups nevertheless)
    • buttons are usable
    • load file dialog (everything is saved automatically). To use multiple files, please copy .xoj files from your computer or use xournal.
Attached Files
File Type: zip scribble_2012-02-25.zip (81.1 KB, 496 views)
File Type: zip scribble_2012-03-04.zip (110.2 KB, 567 views)

Last edited by peterx; 03-04-2012 at 10:49 AM.
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Is you applications ported, adapted to this OS or written from scratch?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Is you applications ported, adapted to this OS or written from scratch?
It is written from scratch while some ideas and some code is borrowed from the SDK and from Xournal.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

If I was you I would focus on improving the PDF reader . M92 is not intended for sketching
Old 02-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
If I was you I would focus on improving the PDF reader . M92 is not intended for sketching
What a positive comment... Keep up the good work peterx!
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek View Post
What a positive comment... Keep up the good work peterx!
Yeah stay positive, "Run Forest Run !"
Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
peterx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Sorry, but I think the hardware it is suited perfectly for sketching and - at least for me - there is nothing that can be improved in the PDF reader.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
Sorry, but I think the hardware it is suited perfectly for sketching and - at least for me - there is nothing that can be improved in the PDF reader.
True there is nothing to be improved for the PDF reader as true as the fact that the hardware is perfectly suited for sketching.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
You both are right in a way.

To my opinion, M92 is well suited for scribling and taking notes at lectures and also pdf 'handling' (notes, scribbles, user interface, navigation in thousands of documents...) could be improved.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
M92 is well suited for scribling and taking notes at lectures and also pdf 'handling'
Can you rename now the individual "scribbles"? They used to be sribble1, scribble2 etc. So after a while it tended to get confused - what is where?Even better would be a folder structure.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
peterx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Can you rename now the individual "scribbles"? They used to be sribble1, scribble2 etc. So after a while it tended to get confused - what is where?Even better would be a folder structure.
Are you referring to the original scribbling application or to mine? The original one stores the scribbles in the database and it seems that it only supports simple names and no folder structure. For my application it is planned that you can simply load and save files as in usual desktop applications.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
M92 is not intended for sketching
Probably it's not designed for sketching, but I'm giving it a try and, to me, the digitizer is quite good. With some software support it can be used as an input device for the pc or a standalone graphics tablet. What exactly gives you the impression it's not good enough? (I'm just asking out of curiosity )

Ciao!
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
PF4Mobile
Guru

I do own a an Asus EEE 800 and I can compare
Zooming and panning at decent speed, a fluid workflow are essential for sketching

I have not checked the application and I can not comment on it so my comment is based strictly on the comparison with EEE 800 which is designed for sketching, has wacom behind the scene and works really well.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
OK, there are better dedicated devices for sketching, for sure.

M92 can be, in my opinion, used for taking notes at a lecture, meeting, ... And also to do simple freehand drawing. Similar to drawing by a pen on paper. I like to draw on M92 just for relaxing, refreshing the brain and getting the inspiration. I draw strange faces, abstract patterns, nonexisting objects...

It is not suited for more advanced artistic drawing. It most probably does not provide the pressure information used for the effect of line thickness.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
It is not suited for more advanced artistic drawing. It most probably does not provide the pressure information used for the effect of line thickness.
It does, and also has way better resolution than the screen, it simply lacks support by now, but I'm working on that.

Of course the bundled stylus isn't suitable for artistic artwork, but better ones are available and I'm going to buy one, if I can get the one with the eraser.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote