Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
Milanovl
Milanovl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Kindle PW page refresh issue

Hello, i've bought a secound hand Kindle PW and it is doing very strange thing. One time it refresh the page right but after 2 or 3 pages, swadows start appearing and after that it starts looking like a negative. I will attach a link with a youtube video i made. I couldn't find any info on that matter online.
https://youtu.be/296M3S0V3hM
Milanovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Check the refresh rate.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
That is not normal. Something is up with that kindle. I am not knowledgeable with the technical innards of kindles, but that is not ok.

I assume you tried the reboot already. I am sure a technical person will be along shortly to tell you what it might be. Something that controls the page change messed up? Told you I am not technical, but something is not working correctly on that device.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milanovl View Post
Hello, i've bought a secound hand Kindle PW and it is doing very strange thing. One time it refresh the page right but after 2 or 3 pages, swadows start appearing and after that it starts looking like a negative. I will attach a link with a youtube video i made. I couldn't find any info on that matter online.
https://youtu.be/296M3S0V3hM
There are three "Paperwhite" models, and you do not mention which one has the problem.

So start off general -
Go to the Amazon page for that specific model of Kindle, download and install what is shown as the current firmware version (it will be 5.6.1.1 or 5.8.10 - depending on Paperwhite model).

If the current firmware also has the same problem, report back here.
And mention what model and what firmware version.

We use a set of nicknames here for the various models.
You can find out what your model is called here by using the first few characters of its serial number and this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Last edited by knc1; 08-16-2017 at 02:05 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
Milanovl

The model is PW2 (U.S.) WIFI 2GB. I will now try the software for this model and let you know what is the result.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
Milanovl

And currently is running on 5.8.10.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The model is PW2 (U.S.) WIFI 2GB. I will now try the software for this model and let you know what is the result.
Quote:
Hmm...
That would make it among the first of the PW2 production (they later switched to 4G storage).

The e-ink display does not 'wear out', so the ghosting was most likely the fault of the (very old) firmware.

Let us know if this firmware update 'fixed' the problem.
If it did not, we will have to dig a bit (no pun intended) deeper into this problem.

It is also possible that the prior owner had installed an add-in that made the inverted screen (and that broke).
IIRC there is such an add-in (people with certain types of eye problems wanted it).

OH,
It looks like you where sitting in a car in that video -
Was the Kindle sitting on the dashboard?
Was the car closed up?

Why:
The Kindle's e-ink display is very temperature sensitive (and so is its battery).
Pay attention to when the problem happens and see if it might be only when in a hot environment.
If it does, then please post the system messages file.
On the home screen, enter in the search bar:
;dm
The semi-colon is part of the command.
That will produce 4 new text documents (the logs).
Reading through the logs will tell if the Kindle is having temperature problems.

Last edited by knc1; 08-16-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #8
Milanovl

I am positive that the problem doesn't appear from a high temperature, because it does that no matter if i try to use it in hot weather or cold. In the case with the video i've just got it out from my backpack and the AC in the car was working, so it isn't possible to overheat in just few secounds. I would try to do update to the firmware but it is currently using the newest software for this device. I am thinking that it might need a full rebuild of the software, but i couldn't find any threads of somene who did that.I will try to use this command you mentioned and then i will post the screenshots from the logs.

P.S. In case that someone really uploaded a file to use the Kindle in negative mode, how can i find this file and remove it.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:16 AM   #9
Milanovl

Also i know that there are few cables that connect the display with the motherbard, is it possible that any of this cables is worn out or it doesn't make propper connection with the motherboard. I think that it is a software issue , so i haven't try to open it yet.

Last edited by Milanovl; 08-17-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I am positive that the problem doesn't appear from a high temperature, because it does that no matter if i try to use it in hot weather or cold. In the case with the video i've just got it out from my backpack and the AC in the car was working, so it isn't possible to overheat in just few secounds. I would try to do update to the firmware but it is currently using the newest software for this device. I am thinking that it might need a full rebuild of the software, but i couldn't find any threads of somene who did that.I will try to use this command you mentioned and then i will post the screenshots from the logs.

P.S. In case that someone really uploaded a file to use the Kindle in negative mode, how can i find this file and remove it.
Quote:
i've bought a second hand Kindle PW...
Which leaves a lot of unknowns in its past.

Quote:
it might need a full rebuild of the software
You (or somebody) has already done that, if it is using the "newest software".
Software updates for the any of the Paperwhite models has always been a complete system image replacement.
Ref:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=24

So any program to reverse the screen has also been over-written.

The best thing to do next is to enter the dump messages (;dm) command right after an episode of the behavior (so the tail end of the log is known to be of interest).

You can archive (zip) the four logs and attach them when you post.
Look just below this text entry box, if there is a button "go advanced" - click it.
That is the advanced editor which allows you to make and manage attachments.
The management box is below the text entry box, scroll down a bit.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #11
Milanovl

Those are the files from dump messages.
Attached Files
File Type: rar documents.rar (170.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 08-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Those are the files from dump messages.
Is this device registered with Amazon?

The firmware seems to be repeatedly crashing and restarting (internally - not a fully restart) everytime it tries to access Amazon store.

So register the device.

Is this device a "Special Offers" (Ad supported) Kindle?
If it is, and that program is not available in your location, call customer service and have them remove the Special Offers.
(Of course, it has to be registered to your account before they can do that.)

Probably other things buried in all of the internal error messages.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Put it on a wall charger and leave it there at least overnight.
Your battery is running on almost empty.
After getting that done -
After you get it registered -
After you get Special Offers dealt with -

With the device fully charged -
Try re-installing the current 5.8.10 version firmware.

This could be a corrupted update attempt -
As if it ran out of battery power while doing the last update.

If the above does not fix it, you will have to return it to the seller (as junk).

= = = =

The only temperature warnings near the end portion of the log file are all 'low temperature' warnings.