Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Transfering custom columns to other libraries?

Hi,

I have more then 1 library and obviously some custom columns. Some of them are build from other columns for different purposes, like catalog or my own title creation for my Sony reader. And the more I learn, the more custom columns I create or change. Sometimes with longer templates like for example:

{title} {#words:|(|)} {series_index:0>3s|- |.} {series} {#status:|[|]} {#read:|read: |}

Now, I know that when you make a custom column in one library and transfer a book from that library to another, you are asked if the columns that are missing in that library should be transfered too BUT that goes not for the custom columns build from other columns. Is there an easy way to transfer them too?

MiniMouse
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMouse View Post
Hi,

I have more then 1 library and obviously some custom columns. Some of them are build from other columns for different purposes, like catalog or my own title creation for my Sony reader. And the more I learn, the more custom columns I create or change. Sometimes with longer templates like for example:

{title} {#words:|(|)} {series_index:0>3s|- |.} {series} {#status:|[|]} {#read:|read: |}

Now, I know that when you make a custom column in one library and transfer a book from that library to another, you are asked if the columns that are missing in that library should be transfered too BUT that goes not for the custom columns build from other columns. Is there an easy way to transfer them too?

MiniMouse
You don't transfer those because they are consstructed from other data.

What you need to do is Create those columns (with formula) in the destination.

2.5 ways

1) Create the/a Library with the copy STRUCTURE option. Then add books

2) Copy the formulas to Notepad (copy from the edit part of create custom columns, paste into a notepad (txt) file, later paste into the new column created from: formula area
2.5) Use a pencil to take notes and type those in
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You don't transfer those because they are consstructed from other data.

What you need to do is Create those columns (with formula) in the destination.

2.5 ways

1) Create the/a Library with the copy STRUCTURE option. Then add books

2) Copy the formulas to Notepad (copy from the edit part of create custom columns, paste into a notepad (txt) file, later paste into the new column created from: formula area
2.5) Use a pencil to take notes and type those in

Just thought there would be a more easy way since normally you can do everything with calibre. Mostly the problem beeing more that you don't kow that you actually CAN DO what you want to do with calibre.
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Just thought there would be a more easy way since normally you can do everything with calibre. Mostly the problem beeing more that you don't kow that you actually CAN DO what you want to do with calibre.
Ain't that the truth
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
That is because sometimes we don't realize how difficult the task is that you expect it to do. Sometimes it may look simple because Calibre makes it so easy, other times it might not be so simple.

Like in the case of Custom Columns build from other columns.

it's the 'from other colums' that makes it more than simply creating the column in the target library. I've got a suspicion that Calibre only looks at the column differences but does not parse the content of custom build columns at that time. So it would not know while copying which columns depend on which other columns. Assuming that the columns a custom built depends on, are present or going to be present may lead to a non-working custom built one. Causing you to perform the same manual actions as you would do to recreate it yourself...

Last edited by At_Libitum; 10-27-2013 at 08:12 AM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote