Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #301
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Liaden Universe - Agent of Change

Just finished Agent of Change, the first book in the same-named sequence of the Liaden Series. An excellent book, that leads directly into Carpe Diem, which is not the next in the sequence as listed on Audible.

In this book, we meet Miri Robertson and Val Con yos'Phelium. Val Con is a former First-in Scout captain, and now an Agent of Change, and Miri is a retired mercenary soldier. We follow their attempts to stay alive and evade the Juntavas, while the Juntavas (and readers) are encountering Clutch Turtles for the very first time, though Val Con already has a history with them that has him adopted as a foster brother to the Clan of Edger.

The reader is Andy Caploe, and he does a good job overall, though at times I found his pacing a bit slow. However, his voices for the Clutch Turtles are perfect. Those of various Juntavas characters perhaps less so (really, not all mob types should speak with a NY Italian accent!), but clearly identifiable and overall I found the book very enjoyable and look forward to reading the next four in the sequence.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #302
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Decided to pop over to Librivox and download a couple of books ready for my next attack of labyrinthitis (during which I can't read). I downloaded the first few chapters of Middlemarch and all of Wodehouse's "The White Feather". The reader of the latter has such a wonderful voice: very soft Californian, and he puts a lot of feeling into the character parts. I've only listened to the beginning.

Middlemarch has different readers, some read so fast that I've put my mp3 player to "slow" playback (Sansa Clip+).

Audiobooks are a new experience for me, but I'm trying to get used to them as there's nothing else I can do when I get labyrinthitis: everything seems to jiggle up and down.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #303
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tried to delete a mistaken double-post!

Last edited by BookCat; 10-02-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #304
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Audiobooks are a new experience for me, but I'm trying to get used to them as there's nothing else I can do when I get labyrinthitis: everything seems to jiggle up and down.
In case you missed it, Amazon/Audible has a whole bunch of classic audiobooks that you can get for free to promote their new Whispersync for Voice feature. You buy the free book at Amazon (don't even need a Kindle, just one of the apps like Kindle for PC) and then you click the link and go to Audible to buy the corresponding free audiobook. Here's a link to the thread from a couple of weeks ago with links and information.

ETA: I just looked at your location, I'm not sure this is offered in the UK.

Last edited by Synamon; 10-02-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #305
BookCat
C L J

I don't think this works in the UK, just checked Amazon UK help and typed whispersync in search. It didn't know what I was talking about.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #306
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
It took me a good long while to get used to books in audio form, but now I love them.

Currently reading AND listening to J. K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy and enjoying it.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #307
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I recently finished The Skin Map by Stephen Lawhead, the first book in the Bright Empire series. I enjoyed it a lot and will spend my next Audible credit on its sequel. It involves both time travel and parallel universes, which I love. In this case, you step from place to place/time to time using the ancient ley lines crisscrossing Great Britain.

Right now, I am in the middle of a Librivox download, After London, or Wild England by Richard Jeffries. I thought I should brush up a bit on my genre history. I am enjoying it so far, Ruth Golding is a good reader and I am also pleased with the audio quality (which sometimes isn't really great at Librivox in my experience).
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #308
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I started in on Kevin Hearne's first Iron Druid book, Hounded, just to not be listening to the Dresden books back-to-back-to-back. The reader is decent, but overdoes it a bit on the dog voice, and keeps pronouncing Genghis (as in Khan) as Jengis (as in topply blocks) throughout at least a couple chapters where the fellow is mentioned frequently.

For the text itself, it's overall enjoyable but a bit shallow, with humor that falls flat about as often as it works, and cultural references (especially clothing and speech) that made me double check that I didn't have the publication date off by a couple of decades. Still, it has enough charm to overcome its shortcomings, at least so far.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #309
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Just started Riptide by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child narrated by Scott Brick just one chapter in and I can tell I'm going to enjoy this Scott Brick is my absolute favourite narrator
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #310
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Just started Riptide by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child narrated by Scott Brick just one chapter in and I can tell I'm going to enjoy this Scott Brick is my absolute favourite narrator
I agree, Scott Brick is a fantastic narrator! There have been several audiobooks I've listened to just because he's the reader.

Right now DH & I are listening to Micro, by Michael Crichton & Richard Preston (read by John Bedford Lloyd). Enjoyable, if a bit far-fetched. The science seems mostly reasonable, and sparks some interesting conversation between us.

On my own, I'm listening to When the Morning Comes (Sisters of the Quilt, Book 2) by Cindy Woodsmall (read by Jill Shellabarger) - Amish fiction. It's a little far from my regular reading list, but I'm enjoying it nevertheless (enough to be listening to Book 2 in the series, and already have Book 3 on my library wishlist).
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #311
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I was very much looking forward to reading Ken Follett's Winter of the World (Book Two of the Century Trilogy) and as luck would have it, just happened to be browsing my local library's e-audio catalog when they posted their new releases (yesterday). I was thrilled to be able to snag the audio version of this book (they haven't offered a digital print version yet), but was disappointed when it would not download.

I called Overdrive tech support and once we ruled out computer problems on my end (firewall issues, etc.) they informed me there was a 'content' issue (corrupted files) released to them by the publisher. It could take anywhere from a week to a month for this 'glitch' to be resolved, so they removed the book temporarily.

Just a heads-up if your library offers it and you are unable to download.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #312
BookCat
C L J

Did anyone else have problems concentrating when first reading audiobooks? I felt dizzy this afternoon (am typing with eyes closed) so listened to a few chapters of the Wodehouse book and found it hard to follow the story when I'm not actually looking at the text. This is inspite of the wonderful Librivox reader. Is this common?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #313
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Did anyone else have problems concentrating when first reading audiobooks? I felt dizzy this afternoon (am typing with eyes closed) so listened to a few chapters of the Wodehouse book and found it hard to follow the story when I'm not actually looking at the text. This is inspite of the wonderful Librivox reader. Is this common?
Well, it took me some time to get the hang of audiobooks. Okay, not so much when I listened to stuff in German, but since I seem to insist on listening to books in English, which isn't my native tongue, I still sometimes have to really concentrate to follow. Maybe this is why I use audiobooks a lot to "re-read" instead of listening to new stuff.

The thing is, it also depends a lot on the reader. There is some good stuff on Librivox, but some of it isn't very good (to put it politely, I still admire the effort people put into it, so don't get me wrong). There also is some horrible commercial stuff out there (which is much worse because they make you pay for it), but a few readers could read the telephone book to me and I would listen. They are that good. (To only name two of them: Stephen Fry and Katherine Kellgren.)
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #314
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
I've found out that I prefer reading fiction and listening to nonfiction. I do lose focus a lot while listening to fiction stories I haven't read yet. If I've read it already I seem to be able to focus just fine and enjoy the experience.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #315
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
I listen to audiobooks partly for the purpose of losing focus--at bedtime

With audio I do stick to 'easy,' not terribly thought provoking books, mostly fantasy that I maybe wouldn't bother reading at all in text form. Some of the more subtle books I've tried in audio, like a couple Haruki Murakami novels, were a bit harder to follow and required an effort of concentration. Even the easy stuff requires pretty regular backtracking, if I fall asleep or just get distracted. With me at least, letting the mind wander is a big part of reading novels, so I keep the pause button handy on audiobooks and if I'm not keeping up with the story I'll just stop, let my mind romp in the clover for a bit, and start the story again (backtracking if necessary) when I'm more settled.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations