Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I think they're magical incantations to make the web work better.

but I wouldn't bet on it.
You make it sound like I'm one of the Tech-Priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus when you put it like that, lol.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Carpetmojo...

DNS = Dynamic Name Server
The Internet runs on IP numbers. Mobileread's IP is 67.205.70.12. DNS translates Names to IPs.

I don't know what you're running, but there are numerous ways to change your DNS. Check with your provider.
Sorry..wanted to clarify ...

DNS translates names to IPs, but DNS stands for Domain Name System, not Dynamic Name Server...

In fact, the few DNS servers we have in the world (13 I believe) are static or fixed, not dynamic. Those are root DNS for child DNS servers like Google or AT&T, which forward their request to the main ones, to find child domains.

Last edited by jocampo; 09-29-2012 at 10:08 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I do wish I'd studied languages harder at school .........

I haven't the faintest idea what anyone is talking about .......
DNS just translates IP numbers (the actual address for internet sites) to something easier to understand to human beings, words, or URLs.

Type this on your browser: http://72.21.211.176

It will bring you Amazon website. But that number is more difficult to understand than ... http://amazon.com

DNS converts "amazon.com" to 72.21.211.176, which is what computers actually use to find URLs or Internet addresses.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:58 AM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
It's not enough to change the DNS settings in Control Panel -> Network Connections (Win7)?
You have to go into the router and change it?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
It's not enough to change the DNS settings in Control Panel -> Network Connections (Win7)?
It's better to change it using your router because it effects all devices and computers that access your internet.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #21
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
No, you can change it per computer.

If you have DHCP and change in the router, then it will affect all your computer our clients.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #22
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I discovered that the suggested OpenDNS and Google DNS works faster for US IPs, not so much for European.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #23
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
DNS translates names to IPs, but DNS stands for Domain Name System, not Dynamic Name Server...
Doh.. I knew that.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #24
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
I discovered that the suggested OpenDNS and Google DNS works faster for US IPs, not so much for European.
Makes sense ... depending of where these DNS servers are located. Hence my advice of not changing it without checking first ...

Damm, I feel like a PC technician again, like the old days, lol ...
Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #25
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I seem to be experiencing a really wierd wi-fi issue. My wi-fi seems to have taken a dislike to Mobileread!

I can connect to MR via my phone (hence this message) but via wi-fi I just can't! It will connect to any other web site but not MR. This is the same on my Android tablet, my son's iPad and my laptop.

I am baffled, anybody have any bright ideas?
It's homeland security infiltrating U.K.

I know, I know, it's not funny when your friggin' computer/router/network isn't working, but I hope you've already figured it out by now...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #26
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
No, you can change it per computer.

If you have DHCP and change in the router, then it will affect all your computer our clients.
Some firewalls/routers hijack it back to their settings as an anti-malware measure (I'm using one at work that does so by default, though it's easy enough to turn off).
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #27
nikkoo
nikkoo began at the beginning.

Device: nose
AT&T has a very slow

Last edited by nikkoo; 11-13-2012 at 01:05 AM.
nikkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The reports on hijacking were alarming until I googled the sites.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #29
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Firstly, many thanks to all who chipped in with suggestions and my apologies for not coming back sooner, but hopefully you can understand why

I spent a lot of time investigating all the suggestions but never did get round to implementing any of them (mainly because I know from bitter experience that I am more than capable of totally killing a network if I start messing about from a position of ignorance).

Finally, yesterday, I was just starting to pluck up the courage to start messing about with router settings etc when my teenage son came to me and said, "Dad, the wireless printer I bought for my bedroom isn't working properly"! Basically, he'd stuck a wireless printer in his room and tried to get it working by messing about with various network settings without my knowledge. A quick uninstall of that printer and a reset of settings and all is well again. I've even successfully returned that printer (because there seemed to be nothing I could do that would get it to work) and replaced it with another one that both works and doesn't impact the network.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote