Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
"Kobo Announces Updated Tablet, New E-Readers"

"The company announced three new products on Thursday: An update to the Kobo Vox, called the Kobo Arc Android tablet; the Kobo Glo, which is the company’s answer to the Barnes & Noble Nook; and the Kobo Mini, a pocket-sized e-reader with a 5-inch screen."

Kobo Arc - 7" Android tablet
Kobo Mini - 5" mini ereader
Kobo Glo - 6" ereader with adjustable front light

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...eaders-tablet/

Also see http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88507C20120906

Added: Thanks to a posting by ppowell002 a few pages down this thread also visit Hands on Review of the Kobo Arc http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-the-kobo-arc/

Official info is now at https://www.kobo.com/ereaders

Added 2: Press release is at http://news.kobo.com/news/an-ereader...o-and-kobo-arc

Official Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud-wR_dVwJY

Added 3: Thanks to owly in another thread Preview of Kobo Glo and Mini from Indigo
Indigo Exclusive: Unboxing the Kobo Glo and Kobo Mini (video)

Added 4: Raindrop posted the following URLs on page 5 of this thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQC6IPM4_GU

There's also a review, not very extensive but helpful at this time, here

Last edited by TonyToews; 09-07-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added link to Arc review, Kobo website & Indigo Exclusive
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Kobo Mini
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
I see it on their blog http://blog.kobobooks.com/welcome-th...-for-everyone/
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
Sounds like the Kobo Touch stays but not sure about the Kobo Vox.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
it does read like the vox is no more

not sure about it's replacement, sounds like it has too many recommendation features built into it.
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
The Kobo Mini makes sense now that Kobo is owned by Rakuten. Sony have a small reader too. It fits with the small Bunko book format in Japan.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I want the Glo! Lucky for me, there's no way I'll ever be buying another Kobo until they fix their godawful site (give me my English back, and implement series information, etc).

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-06-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: missed a word
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
tehmul
tehmul began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
No MicroSD support in Arc?

If so, that's a showstopper for me.
tehmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Really excited to see higher DPI eink displays are finally emerging in number.

I'm unclear: is the new six inch reader available in glow and non-glow versions or do they all have the light?
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Well done Kobo.

Fix the Avenir font, fix the dead taps, and if the Glow Light coating isn't a problem (like on the Nook), I'll consider upgrading.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Really excited to see higher DPI eink displays are finally emerging in number.

I'm unclear: is the new six inch reader available in glow and non-glow versions or do they all have the light?
Looks like the new one will have the light. You can still buy the older Touch if you want one without the light at least for now.

Like the look of these. Interesting they dropped the button from the front. The Arc is going to have a hard time competing with the Nexus 7 even with the updated specs
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

they certainly look nice, reading more on them

but for me to purchase they need to tone down the advertising, I want an ebook reader to mainly read on, not to have suggestions of what to buy pushed at me all the time
Old 09-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I have the social stuff turned off on my touch and don't see where I'm being advertised to.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'll stick with my touch. I think I may buy a glo for my wife though once it's available.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
I have the social stuff turned off on my touch and don't see where I'm being advertised to.
check the screenshots on the wired.com link in the first post

if that can all be turned off then good, it's one of the reasons I like the Vox, button at the bottom for Library and a widget that shows books, i never see recommended books or links to other store items (very rarely anyway)