Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #166
BillK
BillK began at the beginning.

Device: palm centro
ereader's new Canadian restrictions

I have been using a palm ( currently a Centro) as an ebook reader for a number of years and have purchased hundreds from ereader. This month I encountered geographic restrictions for the first time. An explanatory note said that it would only affect a small fraction of books for Canadian buyers. This is not true as I have found most of their books, particularly almost all published by Random House are restricted to the U.S. and its territories. Books by Robert Parker and Steig Larsson that were available last month are now restricted. I am interested in alternative sources available to Canadian purchasers that offer a wide area of selection.
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #167
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I have no idea where that idea comes from: I have a few books that I can only download after a valid credit card check. I have downloaded those books already (using a VPN), but I still get that credit card check...
Since the whole agency 5 thing I have bought almost no books at Fictionwise. But it used to be that after downloading the book once the bookshelf check was gone.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #168
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
I have been using a palm ( currently a Centro) as an ebook reader for a number of years and have purchased hundreds from ereader. This month I encountered geographic restrictions for the first time. An explanatory note said that it would only affect a small fraction of books for Canadian buyers. This is not true as I have found most of their books, particularly almost all published by Random House are restricted to the U.S. and its territories. Books by Robert Parker and Steig Larsson that were available last month are now restricted. I am interested in alternative sources available to Canadian purchasers that offer a wide area of selection.
See my post #159.
This workaround will probably also work with ereader.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #169
Vzzzbx
Connoisseur
Vzzzbx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Not sure where to put this. Basically Crikey published a story about REDgroup Retail's imminent collapse. Today Bookbee has poured cold water on the story.

Anyway, the bit that's relevant here is this, from the Bookbee piece:

What I do know is that Borders.com.au have sold all but one major Australian publisher to supply digital versions of titles for their site, and are “within a whisker” of having the full set, says Neil. Within a week I should be able to reveal the schedule for release of each local publishers’ ebooks through Borders.com.au.

If that's accurate, next week Australia might finally know when it will have access to a decent range of ebook content.

I doubt the prices will be any good, but it's a start.
Vzzzbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #170
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Note 'local' publisher, too.

Which still likely means no Alastair Reynolds, no Charles Stross, etc.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #171
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
While geo restrictions are still running rampant, I have serious doubts that a locally based ebook store would offer any more tiles that internationally based stores do.

It is an encouraging trend though.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote