Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you finish every book you start reading?
Yes, I finish every book I start reading 30 28.30%
No, I do not always finish every book I read. (please explain) 76 71.70%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #31
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
I've finished every book I started except War and Peace/Anna Karennina I don't remember which one(I was just 15 at that time), which I read only 2-3 pages of. So I'm considering that I never read the book. But in general, once I'm half way through some book I generally tend to finish it.
But on the flip side, I've not read a lot of books and I'm juststarting to renew my <insert words of confusion/chaos/[mindblank]>
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #32
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Off hand, I can only think of one novel, Conrad's Nostromo, where I felt that the ending really made the book. But it's not that I didn't like that book from the very beginning, it's a great from beginning to end.

So I find it hard to believe that there's likely to be many books out there that I don't like (or that are simply crappy books) at the beginning that are magically going to turn out to be wonderful (or even worth the time) because of the last few pages. I figure it's better to cut my losses as soon as I feel like a book's not working for me. There are lots of other books waiting for me.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #33
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The one book I can't get through right now is Spook Country by William Gibson. I'm about halfway through and just can't make myself go any further. This is the second or third time I've made it halfway through.

I probably don't finish about 10% of my books. I usually have about 4 or 5 books I'm reading at one time and if I can't make myself go back to a book then I know I won't finish it.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #34
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I used to finish everything, no matter how poorly written, etc. But now that I'm reading mostly library e-Books, where it is harder to judge the content because you can't flip through, I'm abandoning at a higher rate. I download 20 books a week from the library, and read about 6-8 of them. The others are either poorly described, so I wouldn't have downloaded to begin with, or the writing is crap.

In most cases, when I log it on my Goodreads shelf, most of the readers felt the same way as me. So maybe I should be checking review sites before selecting library books...

On the other hand, I'm reading a lot more genres than I used to.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #35
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I give everything a chance until page 70. If, when I get to page 70, the book is not engaging me or is annoying me in some way, I stop. But I have found many gems by employing my "plough on until page 70" rule, that I might otherwise have given up on.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #36
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I try to finish every book I start to read, but sometimes it simply is not possible. I will read one third of a book first before I make a decision - more if a friend recommended the book to me.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #37
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The one book I can't get through right now is Spook Country by William Gibson. I'm about halfway through and just can't make myself go any further. This is the second or third time I've made it halfway through.
I wouldn't feel bad about it - it's a terrible book by a pretty decent (SciFi) author. I give up on about 1/5 of the books I begin but I read quite a wide range of books so I don't feel too bad about giving up on a few.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:10 AM   #38
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
I've finished almost the 97% of the books I started, this include paper books and e-books. I read a lot, and sometimes, few with the years, I discover that some books are not the ones I thought, by several reasons: it could be that the characters don't match with me or with the idea of the book, it could be that the book is so badle written that I can't stand reading it... so if I'm bored, not interested, or something like that, I do not finish it.
I have to say that I hate to leave a book this way.
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

Life is too short to be involved with books that don't interest you.

I feel the same about some recipes. "Life is too short to stuff a mushroom." (Erma Bombeck)

Cheers.
Speaking of Erma Bombeck, why are here books no available as eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 AM   #40
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Speaking of Erma Bombeck, why are here books no available as eBooks?
Are they even still in print? She passed away several years ago.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #41
lente
Enthusiast
lente is on a distinguished road

Device: bebook
No. Why read a book you don't like? It's not like you get a badge of honor for finishing a book. Sure there is a chance the book might get better, but I don't want to take the risk.
lente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you always finish every book you start?

Please explain why not if not. If maybe, also please explain.
I almost always finish every book I start. There have been a handful that I have felt were so awful that I've given up on them. The only one in the past year was Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop. However, others here have enjoyed it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #43
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've only put down two books without finishing them: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, and The Coming of the King by Nikolai Tolstoy.

Both of them made my eyes cross ..... >.<
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #44
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I usually finish what I start reading. I think the exceptions in my life would be the times the book got lost or destroyed.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #45
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
99% of the time i finish all books ive started. recently i tried to read the Dome by stephen King. I got to around 700 pages on my Sony Reader and got bored. It wasn't happening fast enough. I remember in the 80's I could not put Kings books down. I just can't seem to get into them now.
I have just read 5 of David Gemmels books and starting the 6th this evening.

I've read all Dan Browns books but the Lost symbol ending has put me off of ever buying an ebook version of his books. I think I'll just get them from charity shops now.
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote