Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #16
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
ummmm... unless I've seriously missed something, nothing has been said about payments for wi-fi on this. it's set up to connect into wi-fi hot spots
It's not payments for WiFi hot spots that is the issue (though some do charge). It's paying extra for a reader with that capability.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #17
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Don't forget there are still some people that need simple. They do not care to know anything about WiFi or how to use it. Hard to believe - but true.

I actually know a few of those people.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #18
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My phone has wifi and I almost never use it. Very few places I go to have wifi that you can connect too. I find 3G to be extremely convenient and wouldn't want to give it up.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
The value of any product or service will depend on the buyer. If 3G is something you'll use, it's worthwhile. I think TV is waste of my time, for instance, so I don't subscribe to cable. Doesn't mean I expect everyone else to ditch cable. For me, 3G is a must, as cable probably is for many people.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #20
iphitus
iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2i
I find my K2i 3G is convenient. Being able to email documents to my device is very useful.
iphitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #21
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Well 20% of American homes have no home Computer, so it would be important to those people, as well as those who have no Internet.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:59 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For me personally, 3G is vital. I've come to regard the "internet available anywhere" aspect of my iPhone and iPad as their most useful features. For the benefit they bring me, I find the costs of the data plan to be negligible. My iPhone and iPad are on different carriers (iPhone on Vodafone, iPad on O2) for "resilience".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #23
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For me personally, 3G is vital. I've come to regard the "internet available anywhere" aspect of my iPhone and iPad as their most useful features. For the benefit they bring me, I find the costs of the data plan to be negligible. My iPhone and iPad are on different carriers (iPhone on Vodafone, iPad on O2) for "resilience".
Agreed, becoming vital to more and more people each day.

And for those don't have and don't want a $30/mo. dataplan (and have decent AT&T coverage), they might marvel at the Kindle's $50 lifetime (we hope) internet anywhere, even if it only works well on mobile sites (with the option for painful full non-mobile browsing).

Vacationing, staying over at friends', using public transportation, sitting on the beach, at a game, etc., where you just want to do a bit of internet. E.g., after dinner out, you decide on a movie, you grab your Kindle and check local listings, then call up directions to that theater. Etc.

The only lifetime cellular device I know of for comprison, the lifetime Peek e-mail device costs $300 (POP e-mail and a flavor of texting, no web browsing).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:05 AM   #24
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Wikipedia ANYWHERE in the world... definitely want. Its pretty easy to imagine situations where you'd want to wiki but 'it's just not a place I'd lug my netbook around' kinda place.

The kindle has me almost sold out. I'm waiting for the K3 to launch and then I'd get one...definitely.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #25
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Don't forget there are still some people that need simple. They do not care to know anything about WiFi or how to use it. Hard to believe - but true.

I actually know a few of those people.

I like simple ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #26
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@Sydney's Mom -- If you haven't made much use of the 3G on your K2 as of yet then maybe you're better off getting the WIFI model.

I went 2yrs on my 505 w/o using 3G, my process was very similar to yours, with no complaints. Of course that was the only way to upload books on the SONY.

When I upgraded to a K2, I continued to download books in the same manner, it took me 3 mo before I changed my process.

I've setup calibre to be a web server and now I (kovid has made this process trivial) download my books from my Kindle over 3G. I really like this way of downloading books since know I don't have to clutter my Kindle with books. I just visit my calibre web site and download my books.
I also read some mobile sites on the Kindle (not too often)

WIKI is fantastic! I read a lot of tecnical/financial books and having google and WIKI is awesome.

Last point, kindle ONLY syncs with purchased books from Amazon. I'm still reading a lot of books I purchased back with FW blowout sale this cristmass.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #27
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
...they might marvel at the Kindle's $50 lifetime (we hope) internet anywhere...
I don't think that Amazon ever said that this connection is going to be a lifetime connection. Someday this is going to be turned off or only available for some sort of fee. Think this is going to be sooner rather than later because Amazon could chop a whole lot of cost off their product by stopping free Whispernet.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
I don't think that Amazon ever said that this connection is going to be a lifetime connection. Someday this is going to be turned off or only available for some sort of fee. Think this is going to be sooner rather than later because Amazon could chop a whole lot of cost off their product by stopping free Whispernet.
Amazon is starting to sell more ebooks than pbooks. This is because Kindle users can simply click on a book to purchase it - the book then magically appears on their Kindle. This means that 3G aids them to sell more ebooks and that's why it's provided free. I can't see them turning this cash cow off.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #29
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I can see using 3G to download daily newspapers.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #30
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
I can see them turning off 3G for random web browsing, at some point, but not for access to their store. I also do not see them turning of 3G for any newspaper/magazine that you buy from them. I do see them charging third parties a small fee. For example you subscribe to magazine X via a third party. They charge the 3rd party a small fee to allow the magazine to travel over the 3G connection. The 3rd party then bundles thei fee into your over all price.
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote