Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read ebooks borrowed from a library?
I regularly read ebooks borrowed from a library 94 58.02%
I seldom read ebooks borrowed from a library 18 11.11%
I never read ebooks borrowed from a library 42 25.93%
I would but my reader does not support this function 8 4.94%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #61
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Hmmm. Are we back into this discussion again? Oh, that's right, you are saying ebooks tend to be cheaper than hard cover books. New cars are cheaper than hard cover pbooks. What you are NOT saying is that ebooks are cheaper than paper backs. And until they are, public library, here I come.
And you have access to Seattle's excellent e-book offerings. Currently over 15,500 titles many in multiple formats.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #62
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
And for all that aggravation and hassle, nine times out of ten, the *e-books* I like aren't available! No thank you. But if I'm going to waste all that gas and time for no reasonable return I'd rather just cough up the money for the purchase of the ebooks...
Um, I don't know what library YOU belong to, but most OTHER libraries allow access from your home computer. AS OTHERS HAVE STATED [and you obviously skipped over].
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #63
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Um, I don't know what library YOU belong to, but most OTHER libraries allow access from your home computer. AS OTHERS HAVE STATED [and you obviously skipped over].
As does ours - once you've gone through the hassle of showing up and proving you are who you say you are.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #64
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
Sadly, I had to select never - I would, if only there were any libraries in NZ that had ebooks ....
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #65
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenr_nz View Post
Sadly, I had to select never - I would, if only there were any libraries in NZ that had ebooks ....
The big city libraries have audiobooks from Overdrive. I wonder if Overdrive is unable to offer e-books due to restrictions.

Have you asked your local library if it's possible?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackterrier View Post
I decided I wanted to try out the Overdrive library, so bought a prs 300 to do so. It works, the selection is nice, but the format is bad. Very bad. I find I do not like the pdf and epub formats. Maybe I'm just used to my Kindle, but I prefer the it's format. I checked out 5 or 6 ebooks, returned the last one when I finished it, and went back to my Kindle.
You won't like PDF on any 5 or 6" eink screen.

As for not liking ePub, it's not ePub's fault, but the fault of the publisher poorly formatting the ePub eBooks. What I do is strip the DRM, fix up the CSS some and then I am good to go. I even strip the DRM n library eBooks otherwise, I would not be able to have a pleasurable read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:49 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think the only thing I have against 'checking out' ebooks is that ebooks tend to be cheaper than hard cover books so there is that incentive to just *buy* the ebook and put a bit more money into the authors' pockets. Silly me, I should have pointed out that I am a publisher and want to see my authors make money.

Derek
Actually, there are now a lot of eBooks that are more expensive then the paper edition. And if not more expensive, very much close to the paper price. A $7.99 eBook is more expensive then a $7.99 paperback as I can get a discount on the paperback, but chances are no discount on the eBook.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:49 AM   #68
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You won't like PDF on any 5 or 6" eink screen.

As for not liking ePub, it's not ePub's fault, but the fault of the publisher poorly formatting the ePub eBooks. What I do is strip the DRM, fix up the CSS some and then I am good to go. I even strip the DRM n library eBooks otherwise, I would not be able to have a pleasurable read.
If you know how to get rid of that page number in the margin, using CSS, please share, preferably moving it to the bottom of the page.

Which you can't, and which is why I prefer PDF, specifically made up for a 5" screen (I found out it works perfectly on my 6" screen as well).

But I agree, PDF, not made specifically for a 5 or 6 inch screen, will almost never really look good.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
If you know how to get rid of that page number in the margin, using CSS, please share, preferably moving it to the bottom of the page.

Which you can't, and which is why I prefer PDF, specifically made up for a 5" screen (I found out it works perfectly on my 6" screen as well).

But I agree, PDF, not made specifically for a 5 or 6 inch screen, will almost never really look good.
To be honest, I just ignore the page number on the left. Sure, it sits on words, but I've rarely had a problem knowing what the word is under the number.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #70
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
To be honest, I just ignore the page number on the left. Sure, it sits on words, but I've rarely had a problem knowing what the word is under the number.
I find it highly annoying. Which is why my epub CSS files have a rather large right margin (the page number is in the right margin on my reader).

And I know, with the right implementation, that page number can be completely gone, as my 6" reader doesn't show it at all. But I still don't use the epubs I have (I format-shift my books to epub, from there to mobi and from the same sources to PDF), but the PDF files.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #71
journey711
Enthusiast
journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kindle 2, Sony PRS350
Is one ereader easier or better than others for epub? I have a Kindle 2i and need something else for epub.
journey711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #72
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, there are now a lot of eBooks that are more expensive then the paper edition. And if not more expensive, very much close to the paper price. A $7.99 eBook is more expensive then a $7.99 paperback as I can get a discount on the paperback, but chances are no discount on the eBook.
That's a fallacy. If the paperback is priced at $7.99, then it is the same price as an ebook at that price. Now *IF* it has been re-priced to a lower amount...

I agree that it would be nice if Amazon, B&N, Apple and Smashwords had a 'rebate' program similar to Fictionwise's, but I haven't seen that yet. Not that B&N *couldn't* do this if one has a B&N membership card...

Derek
Old 08-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #73
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I agree that it would be nice if Amazon, B&N, Apple and Smashwords had a 'rebate' program similar to Fictionwise's, but I haven't seen that yet. Not that B&N *couldn't* do this if one has a B&N membership card...
Supposedly the Agency agreements don't allow for these kinds of programs for agency titles. I suppose they could do it for everyone elses titles but it might cause to much confusion with consumers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That's a fallacy. If the paperback is priced at $7.99, then it is the same price as an ebook at that price. Now *IF* it has been re-priced to a lower amount...

Derek
I have a Borders rewards card. I get disco nuts from Borders via email. I can use these discounts with pBooks. The agency 5's eBooks allow for no discount or sale. So yes, a $7.99 pBook is cheaper then an eBook at $7.99 from any of the agency 5.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #75
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
I have a Borders rewards card. I get disco nuts from Borders via email. I can use these discounts with pBooks. The agency 5's eBooks allow for no discount or sale. So yes, a $7.99 pBook is cheaper then an eBook at $7.99 from any of the agency 5.
Then that is the fault of the Big Five publishers, yes? Them and their stupid 'agent' pricing plan. Time to buy up all stocks of pitchforks and torches, yes?

Derek