Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read ebooks borrowed from a library?
I regularly read ebooks borrowed from a library 94 58.02%
I seldom read ebooks borrowed from a library 18 11.11%
I never read ebooks borrowed from a library 42 25.93%
I would but my reader does not support this function 8 4.94%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #46
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
My library JUST got ebooks last month! So I hope to do a lot of reading in future...I already have a fairly big TBR pile to go through.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #47
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'd be interested in library borrowing, but our local public library does not offer this service, and is struggling just to stay open, given cutbacks due to the county's insolvency. And I have a Kindle, partly because a borrowing feature has no utility for me.

That should have been one of the responses in the poll, BTW: "my public library does not offer ebook rentals"
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #48
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
I live in Ohio and the local library has a consortium extending up to the Columbus area and they have several thousand ebooks and audiobooks available. I think Cleveland area has a wide collection as well. I use my Libre to read the ebooks (don't have to worry about them expiring with it, read at my leisure) and I download the Overdrive audio media to my sansa mp3 player to listen in my car (it also does not expire in there). Beats having to drive back and forth to the library and paying overdue fines. Although I admit the nonfiction titles are much easier to get then the fiction ones because of the waiting list on the latter.
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #49
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Very new e-reader owner, so I haven't read many library eBooks yet, but I can clearly see that I am *going to*. On my first borrowed eBook now, with holds on two more, but my wish list at library2go is growing lengthy already. And I am frequently suggesting titles when I don't find them available.

Have always been a big library user before, this just makes it even easier! I'll particularly like it in winter when it's cold and foggy out.

Our library added eBooks just this year.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #50
samalex
samalex began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lots of replies to the post are from Kindle users. How do you check out books on a Kindle? For now that's the biggest thing moving me towards a Nook instead of a Kindle is lending.

Also note, I don't want to convert, DRM-strip, softroot, etc my device. I want a device I can just plug in and work. With Kindle not supporting lending or ePubs how is this possible using it?

Thanks --

Sam
samalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #51
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
If you really *want* to borrow books from the library, rather than *buying* them and supporting the authors, why not stick to dead-tree books?

After all, the biggest problem in 'borrowing' library e-books is that there is no single, coherent program developed by the libraries to support 'lending' e-books that covers all e-book readers. And that is the fault of the library systems.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #52
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Derek, you seem to have an issue with people using libraries. Why is that? Why is it a problem that people want to borrow books in ebook format? After all, it's just like borrowing pbooks, cds, dvds, or any other material that a library offers. IMO it's just a matter of time before more libraries get ebooks. I think it will take a little more time than audiobooks because of the additional (computing) infrastructure required, but it's beneficial to libraries in the longer term because it requires less counter staff and books don't get damaged, go missing, or get returned late.

I regularly borrow both ebooks and pbooks from my local library, and having access to ebooks means I can continue to borrow books when I am away from home or unable to get to the library.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #53
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
Derek, you seem to have an issue with people using libraries. Why is that? Why is it a problem that people want to borrow books in ebook format? After all, it's just like borrowing pbooks, cds, dvds, or any other material that a library offers. IMO it's just a matter of time before more libraries get ebooks. I think it will take a little more time than audiobooks because of the additional (computing) infrastructure required, but it's beneficial to libraries in the longer term because it requires less counter staff and books don't get damaged, go missing, or get returned late.

I regularly borrow both ebooks and pbooks from my local library, and having access to ebooks means I can continue to borrow books when I am away from home or unable to get to the library.
I think the only thing I have against 'checking out' ebooks is that ebooks tend to be cheaper than hard cover books so there is that incentive to just *buy* the ebook and put a bit more money into the authors' pockets. Silly me, I should have pointed out that I am a publisher and want to see my authors make money.

Derek
Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #54
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
If you really *want* to borrow books from the library, rather than *buying* them and supporting the authors, why not stick to dead-tree books?

After all, the biggest problem in 'borrowing' library e-books is that there is no single, coherent program developed by the libraries to support 'lending' e-books that covers all e-book readers. And that is the fault of the library systems.

Derek
You can't increase the font size on paper books, that makes all the difference for me.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #55
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
I think the only thing I have against 'checking out' ebooks is that ebooks tend to be cheaper than hard cover books so there is that incentive to just *buy* the ebook and put a bit more money into the authors' pockets. Silly me, I should have pointed out that I am a publisher and want to see my authors make money.

Derek
Hmmm. Are we back into this discussion again? Oh, that's right, you are saying ebooks tend to be cheaper than hard cover books. New cars are cheaper than hard cover pbooks. What you are NOT saying is that ebooks are cheaper than paper backs. And until they are, public library, here I come.

Now, I bought all of the current Jason Pinter ebooks from Books on Board, and between library books (which I check out 1 or 2 at a time, not the full 21), I have enjoyed them. Even without the "half price" special that came with my ereader, they were still reasonably priced below the usual $8-10 "cheap ebook" prices of which you speak. Of course the "half price special" was really only store credit on half the price so I can spend the "saved" half on other books.

As for library books. I began using a library extensively back in '65 while in the U.S. Air Force and continued to use the public library until about '74 when I no longer lived or worked near a library. During that time, I didn't get any mail from Heilein, Asimov, Bradbury, or any other authors whose names don't dome to mind complaining that they were losing money because I was checking their books out of the library.

As I understand it, as a general rule, libraries don't get books of any category (maybe paperbacks) for free. They pay a price. If the publisher isn't putting some of that money back into the author's pockets, that's not my problem.

The thing I like about ebooks is that I no longer have to live near a library to borrow them.

I buy dvds when they are less than $10, and I buy Blu Ray discs when they are less than $15. But I will watch them numerous times. Most books (even those sitting on shelves in my house) seldom ever get read twice.

I have contributed my part to keeping the publishing industry alive with my efforts for 35 years, and when ebooks don't cost more than pbooks, I will buy them again, thank you very much.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #56
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's simple to answer, CHOICE! A book I have on hold right now is one that is NOT available yet in my library as a physical book. It may become available in DTB form, but why should I wait for that when I can borrow the eBook and read it now on my nook?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #57
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:

Derek

But who's to say that the book won't also be bought?

Actually, I probably *will* buy either a hardcover or eBook version of the library eBook I have on hold currently, I just don't want to do so right now.

I am a huge re-reader, and I like to have my favorite series authors "on tap". I have a shelf full of hardcovers by this author as we speak. But my budget doesn't always extend to having their latest book "NOW" or paying full retail right after the book comes out.

Borrowing from the library gives me the opportunity to read, but does not preclude me from buying later when prices fall a bit. This has been true for hardcovers and I expect it will be true for ebooks. From what I see, the prices are highest right after release. Later, as they become a bit more reasonable, I can afford to increase my library. At which point, the authors still make money, though publishers probably make a bit less.

Reading from the library also increases my exposure to new authors, some of whom I will decide I want to own books by. So it's not all bad!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #58
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:

Derek
I would love to have the money to buy every ebook I read, but unfortunately that's not the case. I buy what I can afford, and check out the rest from the library.

And I have 2 reasons for not sticking to DTBs when checking books out from the library. The first is that the nearest library to where I live (that I can borrow from) is about 65 miles away, so a trip to the library takes several hours and costs $10-15 just for gas. Ebooks can be checked out without leaving my home. The second reason is that I actually prefer reading ebooks to DTBs.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #59
delphidb96
Wizard

Of course, probably the *prime* reason why I hate even *going* to the library is that it is such a PAIN. Gotta unplug the scooter, load the scooter into the truck, get into the truck, drive to the library, circle for hours while trying to find a handicapped parking spot (Grumble. Grumble. Makes NO sense to have just two spots - one of which *I* can't use because that puts my driver door where some car will be parked too close for me to get in and out.), park and unload the scooter, scooter to the doors, wait until someone notices that there's a person there who CAN'T get the frikkin' doors open while on a scooter, mumble through the two whole aisles that are far enough apart for *my* scooter to reach...

And for all that aggravation and hassle, nine times out of ten, the *e-books* I like aren't available! No thank you. But if I'm going to waste all that gas and time for no reasonable return I'd rather just cough up the money for the purchase of the ebooks.

Do I think that libraries are a 'good thing'? Sure. If you're fit or if the libraries really *are* handicapped-friendly.

Derek
Old 08-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #60
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by samalex View Post
I don't want to convert, DRM-strip, softroot, etc my device. I want a device I can just plug in and work. With Kindle not supporting lending or ePubs how is this possible using it?

Thanks --

Sam
It is not possible.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote