Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read ebooks borrowed from a library?
I regularly read ebooks borrowed from a library 94 58.02%
I seldom read ebooks borrowed from a library 18 11.11%
I never read ebooks borrowed from a library 42 25.93%
I would but my reader does not support this function 8 4.94%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have access to three libraries in Massachusetts. One of them is very good about requests. I've recently signed up to the Philadelphia Free Library. I just sent in the form yesterday.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #17
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I borrow books from my library whenever I can, but the selection wasn't very good when I first got my ereader earlier this year. It's getting a little better now, but I am number 11 out of 15 on the waiting list for one! It seems more and more people are borrowing now.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've never tried borrowing an ebook from a library. I'm kind of surprised to hear so many people talking about waiting lists. I just assumed that they would have an unlimited supply due to the books being digital. But now that I think about it it makes sense. They probably have to purchase each copy (just like us) and can only lend out as many copies at a time as they purchased. What about out of copyright books? Is there a waiting list on them too?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Only a few county libraries have eBooks here in North Carolina, and neither my old nor my new are among them.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #20
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Being truthfully honest, I chose Seldom. BUT ONLY because my local Overdrive Library JUST started carrying ebooks, (like early July 2010), and I've already checked out a couple. Their selection is not a lot yet, but they are adding daily.

So hopefully, it will be REGULARLY, soon.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have access to three libraries in Massachusetts. One of them is very good about requests. I've recently signed up to the Philadelphia Free Library. I just sent in the form yesterday.
Do they allow people from other states to sign up?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #22
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
I do, but there's not that much choices. The ones I do get to borrow are old books, are out or it's not available yet, there's just not much new ebooks available to borrow. Those that just came out, so in the end, I buy it. Or if I'm patient I wait in line to borrow it...

Last edited by diokdin; 07-30-2010 at 07:26 PM.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #23
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No vote category:

I would use my Public Library e-books, if the book I wanted was available when I wanted it
Every title (not front list titles) I wanted, was checked out (are the readers, just letting them time out instead of checking the back in?).
I think so. I've been waiting for weeks for the 4th Sookie Stackhouse book. I want smack the person holding it. "You read too slow!"
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #24
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Do they allow people from other states to sign up?
Yes, and they must have been inundated from MR readers alone! The wait lists there are very long.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've borrowed five or six books from the Maryland Public Library. Most of the titles are PDF rather than epub, and I got really frustrated with how the reflow messes up the paragraphs and dialogue. They do seem to be getting more titles as epub, so I'll probably borrow more as that happens.
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #26
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Only a few county libraries have eBooks here in North Carolina, and neither my old nor my new are among them.
I don't know if Wake County is your old or your new county, but Wake County will start making ebooks available (thru Overdrive) on Monday - at least according to the statement on their website. New York Times bestseller lists as first.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:52 AM   #27
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
With the exception of some Rex Stout's I've been buying I have almost exclusively been checking out books from the library. I can almost always finish a book in the 21 day time period and since I got the nook I have probably saved a couple hundred dollars by checking books out instead of buying them.

However, people around here are catching on to it and waiting lists can get up over 10 people now for popular titles. I have the day down now that overdrive adds new books so I can usually check out the newest major titles before anyone else has a chance at them.

Last edited by aagstn; 07-31-2010 at 02:55 AM.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 AM   #28
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
The library I currently have access to has a very poor selection of ebooks, and I have such a backlog of free or inexpensive ones that I haven't bothered trying to get a card anywhere else. So I have never read a library book on my Reader.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:22 AM   #29
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I read library books all the time. I paid out-of-state fees to join the Philadelphia and Fairfax libraries. The Philadelphia library recently has added a *ton* of books. Every time I check there are 10-20 new books on the site.

And my local library just started offering ebooks! Yipee! They currently only have 44 fiction books and 5 non-fiction books, but it's a start.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:37 AM   #30
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
I only read library books, but mainly because I have access to 3 large collections. I have access to 6 libraries altogether, and it's rare that overdrive offers a book and none of them have it. if it is the case, i just request a purchase to one or two of the libraries and it's typically available in a week or so.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote