Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read ebooks borrowed from a library?
I regularly read ebooks borrowed from a library 94 58.02%
I seldom read ebooks borrowed from a library 18 11.11%
I never read ebooks borrowed from a library 42 25.93%
I would but my reader does not support this function 8 4.94%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Ebook readers and library books

If this has been polled lately then apologies for the duplicate, but I couldn't find a recent poll. I'm intersted in how many people actually read ebooks borrowed from a library, and if they do, how many they read.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-30-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This year I've borrowed around 40 ebooks from the two libraries I have access to. I've read about 25 of those, the rest were kids books for my nephew to read on my (his? ) Sony 505.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I would, but it's not an option over here (right side of the pond) / our libraries can't be bothered.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I can't answer yet because I don't know. My library will start offering ebooks on Monday...so I'll know in a few months if I "regularly", "seldom", or "never" read library ebooks.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I will as soon as it gets activated in my county (reportedly any day now). The UK's getting there slowly.

I did once borrow a book from the experimental Fictionwise library.

(Didn't answer the poll as it needs the option: "my local library does not yet support this funciton".)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Coverage in the UK is patchy, at best - even the London Lending Libraries Consortium only has 15 of the 32 London borough councils signed up (though last time I looked it was only about 8 so I guess it is growing).

My mum lives in one of the areas covered so I use her details to borrow books.

I have asked my council (Hounslow) if they are thinking about it but no answer.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've not yet checked out an ebook yet. I am misfortunate enough to not have a library I can go to that does it. I actually am not able to go to a library really. Where I live, I have one about 9 miles away, however because I live outside of the one school district, I do not qualify to get a membership. The two counties to the south I can pay to get a membership, but don't have $80 I can spend on a library membership right now. My university has a deal with Overdrive, but they only offer audiobooks.

I've been considering joining the Philadelphia library since that is only $15 a year for people who aren't residents, and they offer ebooks.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I've been considering joining the Philadelphia library since that is only $15 a year for people who aren't residents, and they offer ebooks.
That's one of the two I use and I've found it easily worth it. They are consistent about adding new books too, it's grown quite a bit since I originally signed up.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I feel extremely fortunate to have access to one of the better libraries around as far as ebook collections go (Seattle Public Library). I don't have any hard numbers, but I would estimate that about half of the books I read come from the library. And even with such a great selection through the SPL, I also just recently got a card from the Free Library of Philadelphia. Their collection isn't nearly the size of Seattle's (yet, they're growing fast) but I've already found enough titles there that Seattle doesn't carry to cover the cost of the membership.

Last edited by KarenH; 07-30-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Add info about FLP
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
I have asked my council (Hounslow) if they are thinking about it but no answer.

I moved from Hounslow borough up to North Yorkshire a couple of years ago. I wrote to the council here back in March and got the reply that it was being implemented and they hoped to go live in 8 weeks. Well, that deadline's passed and budgets have been cut, but I'm ever-hopeful.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
No vote category:

I would use my Public Library e-books, if the book I wanted was available when I wanted it
Every title (not front list titles) I wanted, was checked out (are the readers, just letting them time out instead of checking the back in?).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I use the library all the time. That's the main reason why I did not go with a Kindle when I first started this e-reader stuff. I currently hold library cards for 7 libraries that have e-books.

Usually, I'll just open the seven web sites and browse for a certain title. First library that has it - with the smallest waiting list, if one's there - that's who I go with.

Or - I'll "browse" the shelves at one of the libraries by searching for only those books that are available to check out. Just like searching the stacks at the local library. I can "waste" hours doing this.

The best thing is that some of the smaller libraries have smaller (or non-existent) waiting lists. I can't remember which book I checked out, but for one book I went looking for, my local library had 0 people on the waiting list and the Free Philly library had 27 (!). It was a top seller too - I was very pleased.

Happy reading.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
JuniperPearl
Enthusiast
JuniperPearl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire, iPhone 5, Kindle Voyage
Most of the ebooks I read are borrowed from the library. I'm lucky in that I'm a NY state resident and have access to the New York Public Library, and my county has a pretty decent selection of ebooks as well. The wait lists can be long, but I request a lot of books at a time and so far haven't been without anything to read.
JuniperPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I put "regularly" because from the time I got my sony in November '08, I read library books almost exclusively. I am normally a huge patron of the library, so why should that change? Unfortunately, I sort of ran out of interesting books, and my library insists upon ordering titles that are of no interest to me *or* titles that I think are much better served as actual physical books (such as "how to" and "dummy's guide to.." and other books I think are easier to use if you flip around as desired rather than just read from to back).

So now I read a lot of free or inexpensive smashwords books instead. If my library would get more books again, I'd be all over checking them out!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I read almost exclusively library books, although I am reading an Amazon freebie right now, and the formatting is HORRID (Getting Things Done). A year ago, the library was getting mostly romance ebooks, but now they are getting bestsellers. I bought Blockade Billy a couple months ago, but it showed up this month.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote