Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many ebooks you buy per month?
0 - I read ebooks but don't buy it 29 22.31%
1-2 ebooks per month 33 25.38%
3-5 ebooks per month 37 28.46%
6-10 ebooks per month 17 13.08%
more than 10 ebooks 14 10.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2010, 03:58 AM   #31
maryd2303
maryd2303 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Angry Give me more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
I have a terrible collecting habit - this poll didn't go far enough...

(hides head in shame)
Hah! Never be ashamed as long as you are reading!! I bought around 500 ebooks in the year up to March 2010 when, as an Australian, I was hit very hard by the geographical restrictions. I did I big buy up while on holiday in Canada in May/June but have settled back into rereading many classics. I guess maybe my habit has been cut back by near prohibition!
maryd2303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:43 AM   #32
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I said 1-2 a month. Prior to getting my ereader, I bought pretty much 0 books a month. The library got all my business. Now I download/borrow several every month, but I pay for a few. Since I was never a book buyer before, I rarely buy books that are more than the $1 range, but considering I almost never bought them before, this is a huge increase in spending
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 05:17 AM   #33
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I know that many people don't buy books and read only classic books available for free... but it is interesting how many ebooks people buy from different websites like Amazon, B&N, Borders, eBooks.com, Fictionwise etc.
It differs quite substantially.
Usually, when I've got a new gadget, I buy lots of add-ons the next 1 or 2 months.
For my nook, I've bought about 250 eBooks within 2 months.
For my Kindles about the same and so on.
So, as long as I buy new readers and as there still are different formats for different readers, it will be about 1 eBook per day on average.
I've bought Microsoft .lit eBooks for my Pocket PCs from 2000 to 2003.
For ePaper units, my main activities have been from summer of 2008 until now. In that time I've bought about 1.200 eBooks.
I only buy books, I don't download.
I've downloaded some books that aren't available (Harry Potter, for example) from the darknet in the beginning. I've decided against that. On average, I had to try 5 versions before I found an acceptable one. I hate it, when on my Sony reader ebooks sort by author appear under "Socke2000". And often they are protected, so I even can't change the metadata without effort.
But sometimes, the darknet version is even more professionally made, than the legally purchased ones...

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-31-2010 at 05:20 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #34
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
3-5 books/month

I usually read at least 3 books/week....but since publisher pricing has gone into effect, I now wait and buy bargain priced (or like-new used) paper when the e-book price isn't one I can rationalize*. I also borrow from the library and take advantage of some free books (although many sit unread)

* $9.99 and at least $1 cheaper than the discounted new paper price
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #35
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
When I only had my iphone I only bought 2 in the space of a year, but this was mainly because most of the books I wanted to buy were region restricted in the stores connected to the iphone.

Since buying the PRS-300 2 months ago i've bought 10 books and i've bought a few discs from ebay which had several hundred e-books on them. There seems to be more stores from which I can buy e-books on now that I have a decicated e-book reader and it is much easier to put them onto the device compared to the iphone.Plus I can buy things straight from the store without the need to convert. However, apple have just launched ibooks so things are improving on that front.

I'm thiking of getting the Kindle 3. If I do, I can see myself buying a lot from Amazon's store.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #36
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I put down over 10 for the average although Agency pricing and the changes at Fictionwise has cut me down to half. I only bought sixteen last month, at an average cost of about $4 but then I buy a lot direct from author sites.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #37
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm 0 to 1. Thanks to Karen (Koland) who is so faithful about posting the freebies, I keep a nice full TBR list.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #38
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I'm in the 3 to 5 range. That includes monthly subscriptions to Asmov's and F&SF, and a couple of purchases on top each month, usually around the £6 to £7 mark (call it under $10) each.

It was probably double that before they enforced the geographic restrictions, all from Fictionwise. I now have to shop around.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #39
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
I have a terrible collecting habit - this poll didn't go far enough...

(hides head in shame)
Hey nothing wrong with supporting authors and publishers!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #40
moon_cat
moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-700, NOOK 3G
In the last month, I bought about 20 books, but considering I haven't bought books since a year ago, and probably won't buy more for a while, it's averaging between 1-2 a month
moon_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #41
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
According to this poll results and 2 years old poll ebook owners buy more books now.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #42
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I actually bought my first non-free e-book yesterday!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #43
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I actually bought my first non-free e-book yesterday!
Congratulations! What is the name of this ebook and name of website?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #44
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Congratulations! What is the name of this ebook and name of website?
Suffragette in the City by Kate Marsh from Smashwords. I've been reading this author, under the name Katie MacAlister, for several years. She recently re-released an updated version in e-book only for a limited time. Since it doesn't have DRM, if I had had a choice between p-book and e-book at the same price for both, I still would have been all over the e-book like stink on skunk. If it had had DRM, I wouldn't have bought the e-book for any price.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #45
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
I selected 1-2 a month. Of course, I would probably buy a whole lot more if the books that I wanted to buy WEREN'T ALL GEO-RESTRICTED!!!!!

Sorry about the rant. This has been getting steadily worse since the introduction of agency pricing, to the point that over 90% of the books I want to buy are geo-restricted. (Sorry again ...)
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote