Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #16
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
InDesign CS5 is, finally, a reasonably decent way of producing epubs (from native .indd files). But to be perfectly honest, the $35 Atlantis Word Processor is more convenient unless the InDesign layout is a central part of your production process. InDesign doesn't convert PDFs.
Does it do a decent job at converting from pdf?
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #17
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
InDesign is a page layout program, not a converter. It doesn't convert PDFs.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #18
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
Does it do a decent job at converting from pdf?
I refer you to the bit where I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
InDesign doesn't convert PDFs.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
Pagali
Enthusiast
Pagali is on a distinguished road

Device: PC, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 4
Perhaps Livingenzyme is asking about the Atlantis Word Processor?
Pagali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post
Perhaps Livingenzyme is asking about the Atlantis Word Processor?
What is it and what can it do?

Guys, don't make me feel like I'm in the middle of a linux community. Linux communities are very 1337 in that if you're a newbie and you ask them a question instead of answering your question they will tell you you're stupid and go away.

I genuinely want to find a way to convert pdf to text or some sort of text based format without actually sitting down and manually correct every error in the thousands of electronic pages.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #21
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
When I have a PDF and want an epub, first I convert the PDF to HTML, which can be done with Adobe's free online converter at http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...linetools.html

Then I bring the HTML into Calibre and convert it to epub.

There will still be errors, but many fewer than if I bring the PDF into Calibre and go straight to epub, and it's fairly easy to fix the remaining errors while it's in HTML format--it usually for the most part requires a little careful find-and-replace-ing.

Caveat: I only work with novels and basic nonfiction (no columns, tables, etc). I have no idea how well my system would manage those things. Bottom line is that PDF is just not an ideal format to convert from, and the more complex the layput, the more problems you'll have in the conversion.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote