Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #31
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I think we'll just need to wait for actual specs. The images certainly make it look like a 7 inch tall screen, however as wallcraft stated the dimensions of the 600 and the pictures on engadget don't support that. I guess we'll have to wait a few more months for additional details.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #32
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I think we'll just need to wait for actual specs.
When are they planning to publish the actual specs?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #33
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
That Daily DOES look like an oddball aspect ratio, with apologies to our A4 fans.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #34
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Do you think there is a slight chance that we will be able to check our emails on this device?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #35
Zapped
Enthusiast
Zapped began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm as much of a gadget nerd as the next guy, but isn't the biggest piece of news coming out of this event the free availability of current ePub titles from the NY Public Library?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Dr. Paul LeClerc, President and CEO of the NYPL gave a keynote address.
:
Dr. LeClerc announced a partnership with Sony, and with Google Books. The NYPL is working with Google, scanning public domain texts. They will also be be offering current titles in ePub format via Sony for borrowing via download to a Sony Reader. [Emphasis mine]
Maybe nobody's discussing it because I'm misreading it. Previously I thought that an ebook owner residing outside of NY State had to pay $100 annually for a non-resident NY Public Library card in order to get eBook privileges. Isn't Dr. LeClerc saying that any Sony Reader owners will now be getting access to these "current titles"? Or is that wishful thinking on my part?

If this is being discussed in another thread, please point me to it...
Zapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #36
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
I'm as much of a gadget nerd as the next guy, but isn't the biggest piece of news coming out of this event the free availability of current ePub titles from the NY Public Library?

Maybe nobody's discussing it because I'm misreading it. Previously I thought that an ebook owner residing outside of NY State had to pay $100 annually for a non-resident NY Public Library card in order to get eBook privileges. Isn't Dr. LeClerc saying that any Sony Reader owners will now be getting access to these "current titles"? Or is that wishful thinking on my part?

If this is being discussed in another thread, please point me to it...
I believe that was a misquote or taken out of context. You still need to be eligible for a library card for that particular library in order to access it with the sony bookstore or reader.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #37
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
It looks like OverDrive, Sony's library distribution partner, also serves as an intermediary for colleges. If Sony extends their e-reader's capability to academic libraries (and why wouldn't they), the Kindle DX's scholastic aspirations are, what's the word I'm looking for, um, toast.

http://www.overdrive.com/products/cdl/

http://www.overdrive.com/
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #38
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
It should be noted that while CD sales are going down, vinyl LP sales are going up!
I own about 1,500 vinyl LPs...

Quote:
Nice devices. The 7 inch model looks really interesting.
The ones on display seemed well crafted. Wireless access to the Sony Store is a good addition. Now all they need is more content in the store...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #39
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to share this, Dennis.
It's my pleasure. I'm in NYC, and the location of the event was in walking distance.

Quote:
I think Sony is throwing significant amounts of money at the Reader market. They've seen Kindle do well, and IMO they know they can do it one better with enough investment. Unlike other forms of entertainment, E-books are a growing industry in hard times -- when it's too expensive to go to a movie, folks stay home and read a book.
Or stay at home and rent a video...

I agree that Sony sees potential in the reader market.

I think Amazon and Sony are approaching it from two different directions. For Sony, it's about the Reader. they're a consumer electronics company, and they want to sell devices - lots of devices. In order to sell a device that's an ebook reader, they have to have content it can display, so they also had to create an infrastructure around it, including the Sony Store with books for purchase.

For Amazon, I think it's about the books. Amazon is a major retailer, and the 800lb gorilla in the book industry. Selling ebooks is a logical extension of their current business selling paper books, and attractive because ebooks don't require warehousing and shipping, and therefore have much lower costs. Amazon can price most titles at $9.99 and still make decent money.

But selling ebooks to the customers requires devices to read them on, and the Kindle is a means of jump starting the market, and making a bit of money on hardware as well.

My big concern back when Sony and Amazon were first cranking up was longevity. My usual ebook reader is a Palm OS PDA. Once upon a time, Sony was a major player in the PDA market, licensing Palm OS from Palm and producing a well regarded PDA line called the Clie. Many PDA owners considered the Sony Clies the best PDAs made.

Sony pulled the plug on the Clie line and exited the PDA market. The Clie was profitable, but not profitable enough. Sony management had a fiduciary responsibility to invest corporate finds where they would generate the highest return, and decided the money invested in the Clie line could be better placed elsewhere.

So my question when Sony entered the reader market was "Will they be in it long term?" Sony is a big company, and needs big markets to make something worth doing. It wasn't clear the market for a dedicated ebook reader was large enough for Sony to profitably address.

It would seem Sony sees an opportunity, since they are still out there doing it.
______
Dennis
Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #40
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Great post, Dennis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
It would seem Sony sees an opportunity, since they are still out there doing it.
______
Dennis
Launching three new devices in 3 months!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #41
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
When are they planning to publish the actual specs?
They haven't said. When they do, it will appear here:
http://news.sel.sony.com/assets/Reader_2009/index.htm
______
Dennis
Old 08-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #42
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
If it has a diagonal of 7", and is as wide as the screen on the 6" display, it would be easy to calculate the height.

The height of the screen of the largest model is about the height of the PRS-600.
Slightly lower than 6,8".
The width of the screen is the same as that of the PRS-600 (from looking and comparing the picture),which is 3,5" (or 90mm).

If the display is 7" diagonal, the height will be the Sq root of (7²-3,5²) = ~6"

If the display has a 7" height, the device would have a 7,8" diagonal size.

I think it's closer to 6" than 7.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #43
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

I don't think the calculation is the challenge. It's the seemingly conflicting numbers against the pictures. A seven inch wide screen that is lined up against a device that is less than seven inches tall which indicates the screen can't be seven inches wide, but more likely seven inches diagonally.

I guess the other possibility is specs that are slightly different from the dummy prototype shown in NY. We'll just have to wait for the final specs or better comparison specs so we can make an accurate calculation.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #44
sonict72
Enthusiast
sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonict72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Sony does not make screen. PVI does. They sell four models - 5 inches, 6 inches, 8 inches, and 9.7 inches. There is no 7 inch diagonal screen. The exact specification is 162.6mm x 121.9mm (6.4 inches by 4.79 inches). I would imagine that Sony will eventually make a 9.7 inch model as well. But I believe the Daily Edition uses the 8 inch screen.
sonict72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #45
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonict72 View Post
Sony does not make screen. PVI does. They sell four models - 5 inches, 6 inches, 8 inches, and 9.7 inches. There is no 7 inch diagonal screen. The exact specification is 162.6mm x 121.9mm (6.4 inches by 4.79 inches). I would imagine that Sony will eventually make a 9.7 inch model as well. But I believe the Daily Edition uses the 8 inch screen.
The 8" screen doesn't appear to have the right aspect ratio to match the photos of the Sony. More than likely it's some kind of custom size screen they're doing for Sony.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote